Address Displays

  • supertrone_1999
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007
      Hello Group,
      I have pretty much the standard ELF and I'd really like to add
      address displays to it. Anybody got any advise on this?
      Nathan Trone
    • rileym65
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2007
        If you are looking for a circuit for it, take a look at the Micro/Elf
        schematic on my site (http://www.elf-emulation.com/) That will give
        you an idea how to hookup TIL311s for address display.
        Mike

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "supertrone_1999" <supertrone@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Group,
        > I have pretty much the standard ELF and I'd really like to add
        > address displays to it. Anybody got any advise on this?
        > Nathan Trone

      • Al W,
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2007
          Nathan,

          An address display will be a big help when you are entering data or
          looking at various memory locations but one thing that you need to
          consider is that the address won't always be correct when you stop a
          RUNNING program to look at the display.

          The reason is the address buss is used for various data transfer
          operations by the 1802 chip internally and most 1802 designs don't have
          a synchronized halt process. Somtimes you stop at the right time and
          sometimes you don't. You can decode the various states and cause the
          address bytes to always reflect the proper data but that adds a little
          to the complexity.

          One of my 1802's has individual led's on the address buss and when the
          ubiquituous binary counter program is running you can see the upper
          address bits changing in time with the data bits. Guess how the D
          register gets transferred to the output data buss!

          My 1802 also is timed for a synchronous halt so that one can step
          through a program exactly one whole instruction at a time but I never
          use that feature. Guess I shouldn't have wasted time designing it in.

          Al Winfrey