Re: Graphical monitor?

  • ted_rossin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2007
      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Valin" <sjvalin@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know anything about the monitor running on this elf?
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/ted_rossin/Electronics/RCA/FirstComp.jpg
      >
      > Is it using the Pixie? It's hard to tell. It looks higher res
      than
      > the pixie. My attempts to email the owner of this page failed (no
      > longer has an account on yahoo).
      >
      > I've never seen a graphical monitor as nice as this for the ELf.
      >
      > -steve

      Hi Steve,

      Sorry about that. Send me email at ted_rossin@.... I put
      ted_rossin2@... to stop the spam. I need to edit the page to
      put the real address in there.

      Yes I am using a 1861 Pixie chip to display the video. I wrote this
      program back in the early 1980's and it lives in two 2716 EPROMs on
      on 20 sheets of notebook paper.

      I've just started getting back into this machine and am currently
      finishing up a project to emulate a cassette player using a
      PIC16F873 microcontroller interfaced to a Windows PC. I am able to
      upload and download programs so I can finally get the bits off my
      old tapes as well as dump the EPROM data out into a file. I have
      the EPROM monitor data as well as some simple Pixie programs I've
      written in binary files on my PC and a few flash cards for back up.

      I'm still putting the final touches on this project and am starting
      a new assembler and disassembler so that I can publish/create my
      programs. I pretty much can't stand RCA's 1802 assembler syntax so
      I have programmed the 1802 in hex my whole life. The idea I have is
      something like a more modern load store view of the architecture:

      ld 0x35 ; same as LDI (0xf8 0x35)
      ld *r10 ; same as LDN R10 (0x0a)
      ld *r10++ ; same as LDA R10 (0x4a)
      ld *rx ; same as LDX (0xF0)
      ld *rx++ ; same as LDXA (0x70)

      The goal being that you don't have to remember so many instruction
      names just use C type code to specify what instruction type to use.
      I wrote an assembler for a TI DSP (TMS320C30) where TI came up with
      a syntax like this. To me it feels more natural.

      If you want the monitor dump I can email it to you but it will just
      be binary bits. I'll take some more photos to show the memory
      editor in action. It is pretty basic but it gets the job done. It
      relies on my custom HEX keypad so I would guess that it may need to
      be messed with to get it to work on more standard systems.
    • josephjohnblackburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 19, 2010
        Ted's website is http://tedrossin.x10hosting.com

        I think he does have a Yahoo address, see the web site. He was previously on geocities, but has moved.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 19, 2010

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 20, 2010
            ted_rossin is my email address at yahoo.com. Those evil-doers at Yahoo killed off geocites and started charging money for their services so I moved to x10hosting.com.

            My 1802 stuff can be found here:

            http://www.tedrossin.x10hosting.com/Electronics/RCA/RCA.html

            Wow. Since this thread was started I've gotten a bit more involved in this old machine. I got my assembler working and even a C compiler. Now I'm off trying to create an 1802 replacement (in case they become hard to find one day) using a PIC 18F4620 ($6). The goal is to make it bus and timing compatable enough to work with an 1861. So far I have it running on a PIC simulator (SourceBoost) and things are looking good. Load mode, DMA and interrupts are working and I'm able to display video using a software 1861 emulator via a plugin to SourceBoost that I wrote. I still have more testing to do and then I'll program up the PIC and wire up another Elf like machine and see if it really works. After that, my plans are for a bus accurate 1861 emulator using another PIC.

            I wrote another plugin to dump value change info to a file so that I can see a logic analyzer trace of the simulator to make sure I have consistant TPA, TPA cycles and that all machines cycles take "8" clock cycles. I put the 8 in quoats as it really takes 32 cycles but I run the clock at 4x to get the job done.

            If anyone is interested, I can post some waveform pictures and screen dumps of the simulator. The end result will not be a pin compatable drop in but an adapter module could be created using a surface mount PIC to create a true 1802 replacement. There is the issue of the 4x clock but if Pixie graphics will not be used, the PIC can self clock so that it will run as a 2 MHz 1802 with no crystal. To make life perfect, an external PLL could be added to the module to create the clock multiplier. I don't mind supplying a 4x clock (3.58MHz * 2) or the correct frequency*4 which is a little lower than the frequency used by the elf for the 1802. I've found oscillators at Digikey for the correct frequency.