Quest Super Elf docs

  • Steve Valin
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 22, 2006
      I have a super Elf with Super expansion on the way, but no
      documentation. I found the SE user manual online. I have not found
      the user manual for the Super Expansion. Does anyone have a scanned
      copy of it? I'm pretty clueless on the Super Monitor commands. If
      the schematics are not in the manual, then I could use a copy of those
      as well.

      It looks like there used to be a site that had some Super Elf
      documentation, but it's no longer there
      (http://www.wefurnish.com/elf/). Did anyone grab these files before
      they disappeared?

      PaulM - I certainly don't want anyone violating your copyrights.
      Please let me know if you have any objections.

      Thanks in advance!
      -steve
      sjvalin at yahoo dot com
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 22, 2006
        No problem with copying any document from Super Elf or Quest source.

        But please note the Expansion board manual is only a few pages as it did not
        include any of the options like the Monitor. The Monitor is a separate
        manual.

        My main concern is incomplete reproduction and or bad copies. The Super Elf
        manual was over 100 pages for example. The complete manual set of all the
        products is over 500 pages. There are another several hundred pages of Quest
        Data and 2 volumes of software.

        It sure would be nice if there was one place where a complete set of PDF
        files are available. I would like to restrict the copies to be scanned
        images of the original material and not OCR'ed in an attempt to reduce the
        size of the files.

        Copyright laws are greatly misunderstood. The practical side is the
        copyright holder must be able to show harm. That is essentially impossible
        when the documents and related products are no longer a viable product.
        Reproduction for non commercial use and free distribution is, in practice,
        non inforcable.

        My only requirement is there be no charge (even the cost of copying) for
        distribution and using the internet and PDF files makes that possible. The
        ideal solution would be print only (no cutting and pasting) restricted
        files that would preserve the documents in original format and appearance.
        The Software and Hardware used can be used in other designs with no
        restriction. It would be nice to receive credit but not required.

        Paul Messinger
        Former Director of Engineering, Quest electronics
        Former President, PHM Design inc.

        >I have a super Elf with Super expansion on the way, but no
        > documentation. I found the SE user manual online. I have not found
        > the user manual for the Super Expansion. Does anyone have a scanned
        > copy of it? I'm pretty clueless on the Super Monitor commands. If
        > the schematics are not in the manual, then I could use a copy of those
        > as well.
        >
        > It looks like there used to be a site that had some Super Elf
        > documentation, but it's no longer there
        > (http://www.wefurnish.com/elf/). Did anyone grab these files before
        > they disappeared?
        >
        > PaulM - I certainly don't want anyone violating your copyrights.
        > Please let me know if you have any objections.
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        > -steve
        > sjvalin at yahoo dot com

      • Charles Richmond
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 23, 2006
          Some of you may know of Al Kossow. He maintains a
          web site at http://www.bitsavers.org He has a great
          many computer manuals and other documents scanned and
          stored as Acrobat (.pdf) files containing the images
          of the pages for the document.

          Al does *not* have a lot of time to scan new documents.
          But if some folks on this group scanned the Elf documents
          and built the .pdf files... I am sure that Al would be
          glad to add them to his site. (Of course it would be a
          good idea for many to keep copies in case Al's site might
          meet with disaster.)

          Just a thought. I don't know who has these documents or
          who would be willing to scan the documents and build the
          .pdf files.

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 23, 2006
            I am going to try again to scan what I have.

            If that works i will likely put them on my site. That way there would be ALL
            the Super Elf manuals and documentation in one place.

            Its just there are many hundreds of pages to scan and that takes time even
            if the scanner and computer work like they should (But most of you know
            about the reliability of windoz).

            Paul

            > Some of you may know of Al Kossow. He maintains a
            > web site at http://www.bitsavers.org He has a great
            > many computer manuals and other documents scanned and
            > stored as Acrobat (.pdf) files containing the images
            > of the pages for the document.
            >
            > Al does *not* have a lot of time to scan new documents.
            > But if some folks on this group scanned the Elf documents
            > and built the .pdf files... I am sure that Al would be
            > glad to add them to his site. (Of course it would be a
            > good idea for many to keep copies in case Al's site might
            > meet with disaster.)
            >

            > Just a thought. I don't know who has these documents or
            > who would be willing to scan the documents and build the
            > .pdf files.
            >
            > On Dec 22, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Paul wrote:
            >
            >> No problem with copying any document from Super Elf or Quest source.
            >>
            >> But please note the Expansion board manual is only a few pages as
            >> it did not
            >> include any of the options like the Monitor. The Monitor is a separate
            >> manual.
            >>
            >> My main concern is incomplete reproduction and or bad copies. The
            >> Super Elf
            >> manual was over 100 pages for example. The complete manual set of
            >> all the
            >> products is over 500 pages. There are another several hundred pages
            >> of Quest
            >> Data and 2 volumes of software.
            >>
            >> It sure would be nice if there was one place where a complete set
            >> of PDF
            >> files are available. I would like to restrict the copies to be scanned
            >> images of the original material and not OCR'ed in an attempt to
            >> reduce the
            >> size of the files.
            >>
            >> Copyright laws are greatly misunderstood. The practical side is the
            >> copyright holder must be able to show harm. That is essentially
            >> impossible
            >> when the documents and related products are no longer a viable
            >> product.
            >> Reproduction for non commercial use and free distribution is, in
            >> practice,
            >> non inforcable.
            >>
            >> My only requirement is there be no charge (even the cost of
            >> copying) for
            >> distribution and using the internet and PDF files makes that
            >> possible. The
            >> ideal solution would be print only (no cutting and pasting) restricted
            >> files that would preserve the documents in original format and
            >> appearance.
            >> The Software and Hardware used can be used in other designs with no
            >> restriction. It would be nice to receive credit but not required.
            >>
            >> Paul Messinger
            >> Former Director of Engineering, Quest electronics
            >> Former President, PHM Design inc.

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
              I have just uploaded the first of many Super Elf documents.
              The first is the Super Monitor.
              The next will be the Super Monitor Source listing.

              Then will come the Super Expansion hardware documentation.

              All will require Acrobat version 7 or later to open / print.

              After that any preferences???

              Paul
            • Steve Valin
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
                Paul, I was not able to open SE_SM.pdf. I get a can
                not decrypt message. Is this pdf encrypted?

                -steve

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Steve Valin
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
                  Never mind. For some reason I had an old Adobe 5.0
                  reader around that was being used.

                  Thanks Paul! I GREATLY appreciate it!

                  -steve

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
                    Actually, according to Acrobat 7.0.8, the file seems to have printing
                    disabled by security.

                    Dave

                    On Dec 26, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Paul wrote:
                    >> I have just uploaded the first of many Super Elf documents.
                    >> The first is the Super Monitor.
                    >> The next will be the Super Monitor Source listing.
                    >>
                    >> Then will come the Super Expansion hardware documentation.
                    >>
                    >> All will require Acrobat version 7 or later to open / print.
                    >>
                    >> After that any preferences???
                    >>
                    >> Paul

                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
                      Sorry I have re-uploaded it and now printing is enabled. OOPS left eye does
                      not know what the mouse click did.

                      Paul

                      > Actually, according to Acrobat 7.0.8, the file seems to have printing
                      > disabled by security.
                      >
                      > Dave
                      >

                      > On Dec 26, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Paul wrote:
                      >>> I have just uploaded the first of many Super Elf documents.
                      >>> The first is the Super Monitor.
                      >>> The next will be the Super Monitor Source listing.
                      >>>
                      >>> Then will come the Super Expansion hardware documentation.
                      >>>
                      >>> All will require Acrobat version 7 or later to open / print.
                      >>>
                      >>> After that any preferences???
                      >>>
                      >>> Paul

                    • Paul
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 27, 2006
                        I am using the latest as it produces the smallest file based on actual
                        testing. Also V7 produces better copy protection and I do not really want
                        people to cut and paste the historic documents. Thus only printing
                        permitted.

                        Frankly never thought of your problem.

                        What is the latest version you can run. I think I can produce 5,6,or 7
                        versions. None earlier.

                        Paul

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 27, 2006
                          Dave Ruske wrote:

                          > Actually, according to Acrobat 7.0.8, the file seems to have printing
                          > disabled by security.

                          Why are you using the latest, rather than the oldest Acrobat format?
                          There's nothing in these documents that needs later version, and it make
                          them inaccessible to more people (like me, that can't run Acrobat 7 on
                          this old laptop).
                          has!" -- Margaret Mead