Elf II Resurrection

  • bill_rowe_ottawa
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2006
      I'm looking at my poor old Elf II hardware and trying to decide how to
      proceed with it.

      Back in the day I had fitted an ascii keyboard, 8k of memory, and a
      home-brew character mode TV typewriter. I might be able to get it all
      working but 30 years later it's all pretty crufty-looking.

      I was thinking about maybe just resurrecting the base unit with 256
      bytes of memory as a starting point but I'd like to move on from there
      to larger memory and a PC connection.

      What have other people done?
    • Steve Valin
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2006
        Bill,

        I would definitely start with the single board first.
        It's a simple board and easy enough to debug. The
        first task is to remove each socketted IC (one at a
        time), inspect the pins - clean them if they have any
        corrosion, and then insert them back into their
        socket. Hopefully that will take care of it.

        After you get the base board working, then you can
        plug in things one at a time.

        My Elf II had some corrosion on a few IC's, a bad
        keyboard controller, and a flakey 2101 SRAM. I am
        awaiting a replacement SRAM to see if that's the
        extent of the issues.

        If you need help, I'd be happy to help you via email
        or over the phone. Let me now if you'd like me to PM
        you my contact info.

        -steve

        --- bill_rowe_ottawa <bill_rowe@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking at my poor old Elf II hardware and
        > trying to decide how to
        > proceed with it.
        >
        > Back in the day I had fitted an ascii keyboard, 8k
        > of memory, and a
        > home-brew character mode TV typewriter. I might be
        > able to get it all
        > working but 30 years later it's all pretty
        > crufty-looking.
        >
        > I was thinking about maybe just resurrecting the
        > base unit with 256
        > bytes of memory as a starting point but I'd like to
        > move on from there
        > to larger memory and a PC connection.
        >
        > What have other people done?

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
      • eight_bit_jdrose
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2012
          That sounds like a fun project. At some point I would like to own an 1802 computer with a few of K of RAM, a keyboard, television output and MP3 player for program storage. Not sure if I can build one from scratch or just pony up for a vintage unit on eBay that already has all that. My budget is quite low so funding will likely dictate what I do.