Re: [cosmacelf] 2101 SRAMS

  • Doug Jackson
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hi Lee,

      I didn't realise that you had that offer - I would really love a couple
      for my new elf. How do I get you a couple of dollars for postage - I
      live in Australia, and I suspect that our stamps won't work in the USA.
      I can get some US currency, and could simply mail it and an envelope.
      Shouldn't cost more than $5USD via snail mail.

      Doug

      --
      Doug Jackson, MAIPM, MIEEE

      Senior Information Security Consultant
      EWA-AUSTRALIA
      PO Box 6308 O'Connor ACT 2602
      Level 1, 214 Northbourne Ave, Braddon ACT 2612

      Tel: +61 (0)2 6230 6833
      Fax: +61 (0)2 6230 5833
      Mob: +61 (0)414 986 878

      http://www.ewa-australia.com

      IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of Electronic Warfare
      Associates - Australia. If you have received this email in error,
      you are requested to contact doug.jackson@... or Ph
      +61 2 62306833 and delete the email. This message is not to be
      copied or distributed to other parties without the express permission
      of the author. Any personal information in this email must be handled
      in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2006
        From: Steve Valin:

        >Lee, thanks you for your kind offer. Does your offer
        >extend to replacement of original flaky parts on old
        >systems? Are these 2101 or 5101 SRAMs? While 5101
        >would be superior, the 2101's are what was used on the
        >original COSMAC Elf and Elf II. Hmmm. Originality,
        >or FREE parts?! Decisions, decisions...

        Yes; the deal is good for anyone building or repairing an 1802 computer. The parts I have are CMOS (RCA MWS5101AEL3 and NEC D5101LC-1). Every time I've used them, they are identical to the 2101, except of course much lower power.
        --
        Ring the bells that still can ring
        Forget the perfect offering
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
          Doug Jackson wrote:
          > I didn't realise that you had that offer - I would really love a couple
          > for my new elf. How do I get you a couple of dollars for postage - I
          > live in Australia, and I suspect that our stamps won't work in the USA.
          > I can get some US currency, and could simply mail it and an envelope.
          > Shouldn't cost more than $5USD via snail mail.

          I was cleaning out my IN box and found this. Sorry for the delay in
          responding!

          How about just sending some Australian currency? My son would love to
          see it. Maybe $1 and some coins?

          Two 5101 RAMs weight less than 1 ounce -- the packaging weighs more. I
          can put them in an IC tube, surround it with foam, and put them in an
          envelope and it still weighs under 2 ounces.

          Lee Hart wrote:
          >> I have plenty... I've had a long-standing offer to send two for free to
          >> anyone building an Elf if they send me a stamped self-addressed envelope.

          --
          Ring the bells that still can ring
          Forget the perfect offering
          There is a crack in everything
        • Steve Valin
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
            Doug,

            I opted to go the free 5101 route from Lee rather than
            purchase a tube of these things.

            The Ebay vendor selling these is SVDistributing
            (anyone have any comments good or bad on this
            vendor?). The link for the parts is:

            http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-2101-P2101-RAM-Chips-1-Tube-17-Pcs-NOS_W0QQitemZ130048469968QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50914QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

            They also sell a tube of 9 CDP1802AC's for $19.99. I
            keep going back and forth on this one. Do I really
            need 9 parts? OTOH, they will only get harder to find
            over the years...

            -steve

            --- Doug Jackson <doug@...> wrote:

            > Hi Steve,
            >
            > I would be happy to purchase 4 of them.
            >
            > Doug
            >
            > Steve Valin wrote:
            > >
            > > I am in need of 2 of these items. Does anyone have
            > any to spare, or
            > > know where I can find them. I know where I can get
            > a tube of 17 for
            > > $20 (including shipping), but I don't need that
            > many.
            > >
            > > Or, if I end up getting a tube of 17, does anyone
            > need a few? :)
            > >
            > > -steve

          • Neil Breeden
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
              I've bought a few rails of parts from SVDistributing on EBay, they were
              packaged well, delivered quickly and were as they listed them.

              -Neil

              >The Ebay vendor selling these is SVDistributing
              >(anyone have any comments good or bad on this
              >vendor?). The link for the parts is:
              .>
              >http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-2101-P2101-RAM-Chips-1-Tube-17-Pcs-NOS_W0QQitemZ130
              048469968QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50914QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

              .

              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=4662078/grpspId=1705566162/msgId
              =4978/stime=1166033146/nc1=3848518/nc2=3848567/nc3=3848580>

            • Doug Jackson
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
                Lee,

                Thanks for that, If you email my direct email address (Indicated below)
                with your postal address, I'll send you one of all of our coins, and a
                $5 note - Is it possible to supply 4 * 5101 rams?

                Btw, our coins are - 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2. (we gave up using
                notes for our $1, and $2 a number of years ago, they simply didn't last
                long enough to remain economical as a currency)

                Easy!

                Doug

                Lee Hart wrote:

                > Doug Jackson wrote:
                > > I didn't realise that you had that offer - I would really love a couple
                > > for my new elf. How do I get you a couple of dollars for postage - I
                > > live in Australia, and I suspect that our stamps won't work in the USA.
                > > I can get some US currency, and could simply mail it and an envelope.
                > > Shouldn't cost more than $5USD via snail mail.
                >
                > I was cleaning out my IN box and found this. Sorry for the delay in
                > responding!
                >
                > How about just sending some Australian currency? My son would love to
                > see it. Maybe $1 and some coins?
                >
                > Two 5101 RAMs weight less than 1 ounce -- the packaging weighs more. I
                > can put them in an IC tube, surround it with foam, and put them in an
                > envelope and it still weighs under 2 ounces.

                --
                Doug Jackson, MAIPM, MIEEE

                Senior Information Security Consultant
                EWA-AUSTRALIA
                PO Box 6308 O'Connor ACT 2602
                Level 1, 214 Northbourne Ave, Braddon ACT 2612

                Tel: +61 (0)2 6230 6833
                Fax: +61 (0)2 6230 5833
                Mob: +61 (0)414 986 878

                http://www.ewa-australia.com

                IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of Electronic Warfare
                Associates - Australia. If you have received this email in error,
                you are requested to contact doug.jackson@... or Ph
                +61 2 62306833 and delete the email. This message is not to be
                copied or distributed to other parties without the express permission
                of the author. Any personal information in this email must be handled
                in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).

              • granz_consult
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 16, 2009
                  Lee,

                  I am working on putting together a couple of Elfs (an original and an expanded). Do you still have the 2101s available?

                  Art

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 17, 2009

                    granz_consult wrote:
                    > I am working on putting together a couple of Elfs (an original and an expanded). Do you still have the 2101s available?

                    Yes, I still have some. I've doubled my price, though; $0 x 2 = $0 :-)
                    Postage rates have gone up, though. Be sure to include enough postage
                    for a parcel, as they won't accept things thicker than 1/4" any more as
                    envelopes.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 17, 2009
                      Ray Sills wrote:

                      > Too bad they are not EPROMs... then you could send them as "media
                      > mail".. :) Slower, but cheaper.

                      These are 22-pin DIP packages, which like all DIPs are about 1/4" thick.
                      The new postal rates charge extra for anything more than 1/4" thick.

                      --
                      Ring the bells that still can ring
                      Forget the perfect offering
                      There is a crack in everything
                    • Ray Sills
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 17, 2009
                        On Apr 17, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Lee Hart wrote:

                        >>> I have plenty... I've had a long-standing offer to send two for
                        >>> free to anyone building an Elf if they send me a stamped
                        >>> self-addressed envelope.

                        Too bad they are not EPROMs... then you could send them as "media
                        mail".. :) Slower, but cheaper.

                        73 de Ray
                      • geokwi
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
                          fyi - used 2111 in my ELF experiment some time back. Pinout is different, but they work fine.
                          http://www.hobbylabs.org/k-elf.htm (scroll down for schematics)