Re: [cosmacelf] 2101 SRAMS

  • Doug Jackson
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hi Lee,

      I didn't realise that you had that offer - I would really love a couple
      for my new elf. How do I get you a couple of dollars for postage - I
      live in Australia, and I suspect that our stamps won't work in the USA.
      I can get some US currency, and could simply mail it and an envelope.
      Shouldn't cost more than $5USD via snail mail.

      Doug

      --
      Doug Jackson, MAIPM, MIEEE

      Senior Information Security Consultant
      EWA-AUSTRALIA
      PO Box 6308 O'Connor ACT 2602
      Level 1, 214 Northbourne Ave, Braddon ACT 2612

      Tel: +61 (0)2 6230 6833
      Fax: +61 (0)2 6230 5833
      Mob: +61 (0)414 986 878

      http://www.ewa-australia.com

      IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of Electronic Warfare
      Associates - Australia. If you have received this email in error,
      you are requested to contact doug.jackson@... or Ph
      +61 2 62306833 and delete the email. This message is not to be
      copied or distributed to other parties without the express permission
      of the author. Any personal information in this email must be handled
      in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).

    • Steve Valin
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 30, 2006
        Lee,

        Thanks you for your kind offer. Does your offer
        extend to replacemnt of original flakey parts on old
        systems? Are these 2101 or 5101 SRAMs? While 5101
        would be superior, the 2101's are what was used on the
        original COSMAC Elf and Elf II. Hmmm. Originality,
        or FREE parts?! Decisions, decisions...

        I'll send you a PM if I decide to take you up on your
        kind offer.

        -steve

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2006
          From: Steve Valin:

          >Lee, thanks you for your kind offer. Does your offer
          >extend to replacement of original flaky parts on old
          >systems? Are these 2101 or 5101 SRAMs? While 5101
          >would be superior, the 2101's are what was used on the
          >original COSMAC Elf and Elf II. Hmmm. Originality,
          >or FREE parts?! Decisions, decisions...

          Yes; the deal is good for anyone building or repairing an 1802 computer. The parts I have are CMOS (RCA MWS5101AEL3 and NEC D5101LC-1). Every time I've used them, they are identical to the 2101, except of course much lower power.
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
            Doug Jackson wrote:
            > I didn't realise that you had that offer - I would really love a couple
            > for my new elf. How do I get you a couple of dollars for postage - I
            > live in Australia, and I suspect that our stamps won't work in the USA.
            > I can get some US currency, and could simply mail it and an envelope.
            > Shouldn't cost more than $5USD via snail mail.

            I was cleaning out my IN box and found this. Sorry for the delay in
            responding!

            How about just sending some Australian currency? My son would love to
            see it. Maybe $1 and some coins?

            Two 5101 RAMs weight less than 1 ounce -- the packaging weighs more. I
            can put them in an IC tube, surround it with foam, and put them in an
            envelope and it still weighs under 2 ounces.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
              Doug,

              I opted to go the free 5101 route from Lee rather than
              purchase a tube of these things.

              The Ebay vendor selling these is SVDistributing
              (anyone have any comments good or bad on this
              vendor?). The link for the parts is:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-2101-P2101-RAM-Chips-1-Tube-17-Pcs-NOS_W0QQitemZ130048469968QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50914QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

              They also sell a tube of 9 CDP1802AC's for $19.99. I
              keep going back and forth on this one. Do I really
              need 9 parts? OTOH, they will only get harder to find
              over the years...

              -steve

              --- Doug Jackson <doug@...> wrote:

              > Hi Steve,
              >
              > I would be happy to purchase 4 of them.
              >
              > Doug
              >
              > Steve Valin wrote:
              > >
              > > I am in need of 2 of these items. Does anyone have
              > any to spare, or
              > > know where I can find them. I know where I can get
              > a tube of 17 for
              > > $20 (including shipping), but I don't need that
              > many.
              > >
              > > Or, if I end up getting a tube of 17, does anyone
              > need a few? :)
              > >
              > > -steve

            • Neil Breeden
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
                I've bought a few rails of parts from SVDistributing on EBay, they were
                packaged well, delivered quickly and were as they listed them.

                -Neil

                >The Ebay vendor selling these is SVDistributing
                >(anyone have any comments good or bad on this
                >vendor?). The link for the parts is:
                .>
                >http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-2101-P2101-RAM-Chips-1-Tube-17-Pcs-NOS_W0QQitemZ130
                048469968QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50914QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

                .

                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=4662078/grpspId=1705566162/msgId
                =4978/stime=1166033146/nc1=3848518/nc2=3848567/nc3=3848580>

              • Doug Jackson
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
                  Lee,

                  Thanks for that, If you email my direct email address (Indicated below)
                  with your postal address, I'll send you one of all of our coins, and a
                  $5 note - Is it possible to supply 4 * 5101 rams?

                  Btw, our coins are - 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2. (we gave up using
                  notes for our $1, and $2 a number of years ago, they simply didn't last
                  long enough to remain economical as a currency)

                  Easy!

                  Doug

                  Lee Hart wrote:

                  > Doug Jackson wrote:
                  > > I didn't realise that you had that offer - I would really love a couple
                  > > for my new elf. How do I get you a couple of dollars for postage - I
                  > > live in Australia, and I suspect that our stamps won't work in the USA.
                  > > I can get some US currency, and could simply mail it and an envelope.
                  > > Shouldn't cost more than $5USD via snail mail.
                  >
                  > I was cleaning out my IN box and found this. Sorry for the delay in
                  > responding!
                  >
                  > How about just sending some Australian currency? My son would love to
                  > see it. Maybe $1 and some coins?
                  >
                  > Two 5101 RAMs weight less than 1 ounce -- the packaging weighs more. I
                  > can put them in an IC tube, surround it with foam, and put them in an
                  > envelope and it still weighs under 2 ounces.

                  --
                  Doug Jackson, MAIPM, MIEEE

                  Senior Information Security Consultant
                  EWA-AUSTRALIA
                  PO Box 6308 O'Connor ACT 2602
                  Level 1, 214 Northbourne Ave, Braddon ACT 2612

                  Tel: +61 (0)2 6230 6833
                  Fax: +61 (0)2 6230 5833
                  Mob: +61 (0)414 986 878

                  http://www.ewa-australia.com

                  IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of Electronic Warfare
                  Associates - Australia. If you have received this email in error,
                  you are requested to contact doug.jackson@... or Ph
                  +61 2 62306833 and delete the email. This message is not to be
                  copied or distributed to other parties without the express permission
                  of the author. Any personal information in this email must be handled
                  in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).

                • granz_consult
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 16 11:25 PM
                    Lee,

                    I am working on putting together a couple of Elfs (an original and an expanded). Do you still have the 2101s available?

                    Art

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 17 12:17 PM

                      granz_consult wrote:
                      > I am working on putting together a couple of Elfs (an original and an expanded). Do you still have the 2101s available?

                      Yes, I still have some. I've doubled my price, though; $0 x 2 = $0 :-)
                      Postage rates have gone up, though. Be sure to include enough postage
                      for a parcel, as they won't accept things thicker than 1/4" any more as
                      envelopes.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 17 5:06 PM
                        Ray Sills wrote:

                        > Too bad they are not EPROMs... then you could send them as "media
                        > mail".. :) Slower, but cheaper.

                        These are 22-pin DIP packages, which like all DIPs are about 1/4" thick.
                        The new postal rates charge extra for anything more than 1/4" thick.

                        --
                        Ring the bells that still can ring
                        Forget the perfect offering
                        There is a crack in everything
                      • Ray Sills
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 17 5:34 PM
                          On Apr 17, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Lee Hart wrote:

                          >>> I have plenty... I've had a long-standing offer to send two for
                          >>> free to anyone building an Elf if they send me a stamped
                          >>> self-addressed envelope.

                          Too bad they are not EPROMs... then you could send them as "media
                          mail".. :) Slower, but cheaper.

                          73 de Ray
                        • geokwi
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 22 12:22 PM
                            fyi - used 2111 in my ELF experiment some time back. Pinout is different, but they work fine.
                            http://www.hobbylabs.org/k-elf.htm (scroll down for schematics)