2101 SRAMS

  • Steve Valin
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 29, 2006
      I am in need of 2 of these items. Does anyone have any to spare, or
      know where I can find them. I know where I can get a tube of 17 for
      $20 (including shipping), but I don't need that many.

      Or, if I end up getting a tube of 17, does anyone need a few? :)

      -steve
    • Doug Jackson
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 30, 2006
        Hi Steve,

        I would be happy to purchase 4 of them.

        Doug

        Steve Valin wrote:

        > I am in need of 2 of these items. Does anyone have any to spare, or
        > know where I can find them. I know where I can get a tube of 17 for
        > $20 (including shipping), but I don't need that many.
        >
        > Or, if I end up getting a tube of 17, does anyone need a few? :)
        >
        > -steve

      • arthurok
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 30, 2006
          try putting a want ad on www.qth.com
          i am a ham radio operator "k9dta"
          and many hams hoard electronic components
          you dont have to be a ham to place an ad

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 30, 2006
            Steve Valin wrote:
            > I am in need of 2 of these items. Does anyone have any to spare, or
            > know where I can find them. I know where I can get a tube of 17 for
            > $20 (including shipping), but I don't need that many.

            I have plenty... I've had a long-standing offer to send two for free to
            anyone building an Elf if they send me a stamped self-addressed envelope.

            --
            Ring the bells that still can ring
            Forget the perfect offering
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 30, 2006
              Hi Lee,

              I didn't realise that you had that offer - I would really love a couple
              for my new elf. How do I get you a couple of dollars for postage - I
              live in Australia, and I suspect that our stamps won't work in the USA.
              I can get some US currency, and could simply mail it and an envelope.
              Shouldn't cost more than $5USD via snail mail.

              Doug

              Lee Hart wrote:

              > Steve Valin wrote:
              > > I am in need of 2 of these items. Does anyone have any to spare, or
              > > know where I can find them. I know where I can get a tube of 17 for
              > > $20 (including shipping), but I don't need that many.
              >
              > I have plenty... I've had a long-standing offer to send two for free to
              > anyone building an Elf if they send me a stamped self-addressed envelope.

              --
              Doug Jackson, MAIPM, MIEEE

              Senior Information Security Consultant
              EWA-AUSTRALIA
              PO Box 6308 O'Connor ACT 2602
              Level 1, 214 Northbourne Ave, Braddon ACT 2612

              Tel: +61 (0)2 6230 6833
              Fax: +61 (0)2 6230 5833
              Mob: +61 (0)414 986 878

              http://www.ewa-australia.com

              IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of Electronic Warfare
              Associates - Australia. If you have received this email in error,
              you are requested to contact doug.jackson@... or Ph
              +61 2 62306833 and delete the email. This message is not to be
              copied or distributed to other parties without the express permission
              of the author. Any personal information in this email must be handled
              in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).

            • Steve Valin
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 30, 2006
                Lee,

                Thanks you for your kind offer. Does your offer
                extend to replacemnt of original flakey parts on old
                systems? Are these 2101 or 5101 SRAMs? While 5101
                would be superior, the 2101's are what was used on the
                original COSMAC Elf and Elf II. Hmmm. Originality,
                or FREE parts?! Decisions, decisions...

                I'll send you a PM if I decide to take you up on your
                kind offer.

                -steve

                http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2006
                  From: Steve Valin:

                  >Lee, thanks you for your kind offer. Does your offer
                  >extend to replacement of original flaky parts on old
                  >systems? Are these 2101 or 5101 SRAMs? While 5101
                  >would be superior, the 2101's are what was used on the
                  >original COSMAC Elf and Elf II. Hmmm. Originality,
                  >or FREE parts?! Decisions, decisions...

                  Yes; the deal is good for anyone building or repairing an 1802 computer. The parts I have are CMOS (RCA MWS5101AEL3 and NEC D5101LC-1). Every time I've used them, they are identical to the 2101, except of course much lower power.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
                    Doug Jackson wrote:
                    > I didn't realise that you had that offer - I would really love a couple
                    > for my new elf. How do I get you a couple of dollars for postage - I
                    > live in Australia, and I suspect that our stamps won't work in the USA.
                    > I can get some US currency, and could simply mail it and an envelope.
                    > Shouldn't cost more than $5USD via snail mail.

                    I was cleaning out my IN box and found this. Sorry for the delay in
                    responding!

                    How about just sending some Australian currency? My son would love to
                    see it. Maybe $1 and some coins?

                    Two 5101 RAMs weight less than 1 ounce -- the packaging weighs more. I
                    can put them in an IC tube, surround it with foam, and put them in an
                    envelope and it still weighs under 2 ounces.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
                      Doug,

                      I opted to go the free 5101 route from Lee rather than
                      purchase a tube of these things.

                      The Ebay vendor selling these is SVDistributing
                      (anyone have any comments good or bad on this
                      vendor?). The link for the parts is:

                      http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-2101-P2101-RAM-Chips-1-Tube-17-Pcs-NOS_W0QQitemZ130048469968QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50914QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

                      They also sell a tube of 9 CDP1802AC's for $19.99. I
                      keep going back and forth on this one. Do I really
                      need 9 parts? OTOH, they will only get harder to find
                      over the years...

                      -steve

                      --- Doug Jackson <doug@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Steve,
                      >
                      > I would be happy to purchase 4 of them.
                      >
                      > Doug
                      >
                      > Steve Valin wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I am in need of 2 of these items. Does anyone have
                      > any to spare, or
                      > > know where I can find them. I know where I can get
                      > a tube of 17 for
                      > > $20 (including shipping), but I don't need that
                      > many.
                      > >
                      > > Or, if I end up getting a tube of 17, does anyone
                      > need a few? :)
                      > >
                      > > -steve

                    • Neil Breeden
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
                        I've bought a few rails of parts from SVDistributing on EBay, they were
                        packaged well, delivered quickly and were as they listed them.

                        -Neil

                        >The Ebay vendor selling these is SVDistributing
                        >(anyone have any comments good or bad on this
                        >vendor?). The link for the parts is:
                        .>
                        >http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-2101-P2101-RAM-Chips-1-Tube-17-Pcs-NOS_W0QQitemZ130
                        048469968QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50914QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

                        .

                        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=4662078/grpspId=1705566162/msgId
                        =4978/stime=1166033146/nc1=3848518/nc2=3848567/nc3=3848580>

                      • Doug Jackson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
                          Lee,

                          Thanks for that, If you email my direct email address (Indicated below)
                          with your postal address, I'll send you one of all of our coins, and a
                          $5 note - Is it possible to supply 4 * 5101 rams?

                          Btw, our coins are - 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2. (we gave up using
                          notes for our $1, and $2 a number of years ago, they simply didn't last
                          long enough to remain economical as a currency)

                          Easy!

                          Doug

                          Lee Hart wrote:

                          > Doug Jackson wrote:
                          > > I didn't realise that you had that offer - I would really love a couple
                          > > for my new elf. How do I get you a couple of dollars for postage - I
                          > > live in Australia, and I suspect that our stamps won't work in the USA.
                          > > I can get some US currency, and could simply mail it and an envelope.
                          > > Shouldn't cost more than $5USD via snail mail.
                          >
                          > I was cleaning out my IN box and found this. Sorry for the delay in
                          > responding!
                          >
                          > How about just sending some Australian currency? My son would love to
                          > see it. Maybe $1 and some coins?
                          >
                          > Two 5101 RAMs weight less than 1 ounce -- the packaging weighs more. I
                          > can put them in an IC tube, surround it with foam, and put them in an
                          > envelope and it still weighs under 2 ounces.

                          --
                          Doug Jackson, MAIPM, MIEEE

                          Senior Information Security Consultant
                          EWA-AUSTRALIA
                          PO Box 6308 O'Connor ACT 2602
                          Level 1, 214 Northbourne Ave, Braddon ACT 2612

                          Tel: +61 (0)2 6230 6833
                          Fax: +61 (0)2 6230 5833
                          Mob: +61 (0)414 986 878

                          http://www.ewa-australia.com

                          IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of Electronic Warfare
                          Associates - Australia. If you have received this email in error,
                          you are requested to contact doug.jackson@... or Ph
                          +61 2 62306833 and delete the email. This message is not to be
                          copied or distributed to other parties without the express permission
                          of the author. Any personal information in this email must be handled
                          in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).

                        • granz_consult
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 16, 2009
                            Lee,

                            I am working on putting together a couple of Elfs (an original and an expanded). Do you still have the 2101s available?

                            Art

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 17, 2009

                              granz_consult wrote:
                              > I am working on putting together a couple of Elfs (an original and an expanded). Do you still have the 2101s available?

                              Yes, I still have some. I've doubled my price, though; $0 x 2 = $0 :-)
                              Postage rates have gone up, though. Be sure to include enough postage
                              for a parcel, as they won't accept things thicker than 1/4" any more as
                              envelopes.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 17, 2009
                                Ray Sills wrote:

                                > Too bad they are not EPROMs... then you could send them as "media
                                > mail".. :) Slower, but cheaper.

                                These are 22-pin DIP packages, which like all DIPs are about 1/4" thick.
                                The new postal rates charge extra for anything more than 1/4" thick.

                                --
                                Ring the bells that still can ring
                                Forget the perfect offering
                                There is a crack in everything
                              • Ray Sills
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 17, 2009
                                  On Apr 17, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Lee Hart wrote:

                                  >>> I have plenty... I've had a long-standing offer to send two for
                                  >>> free to anyone building an Elf if they send me a stamped
                                  >>> self-addressed envelope.

                                  Too bad they are not EPROMs... then you could send them as "media
                                  mail".. :) Slower, but cheaper.

                                  73 de Ray
                                • geokwi
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
                                    fyi - used 2111 in my ELF experiment some time back. Pinout is different, but they work fine.
                                    http://www.hobbylabs.org/k-elf.htm (scroll down for schematics)