Re: [cosmacelf] Re: COSMAC Elf2K on the cover of Nuts and Volts Magazine

  • Johnny Bates
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 24, 2006
      One of them did!

      --- Andrew Wasson <andrew@...> wrote:

      > Good on ya Bob!
      >
      > It took me quite some digging to find a magazine
      > vendor that had the
      > issue but I just picked it up yesterday. I've been
      > reading Nuts &
      > Volts for the past few years and it was one of the
      > primary reasons I
      > got back into electronics tinkering. I miss PE, ETI
      > and RE but Circuit
      > Cellar and Nuts/Volts fill the gap.
      >
      > I look forward to part II of the series and
      > hopefully they'll ask you
      > for more articles for expansion, etc...
      >
      > BTW; I notice we have 10 new members in the group. I
      > wonder if they
      > joined after reading the article.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Andrew
      >
      > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong"
      > <bob@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Does anyone read Nuts and Volts magazine
      > (www.nutsvolts.com) ?
      > The COSMAC
      > > Elf (2000) is on the cover of the August issue for
      > a two part
      > article that
      > > appears this month and next.
      > >
      > > August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the
      > original Popular
      > Electronics
      > > Elf article, after all.
      > >
      > > Bob

      > removed]

      Johnny E. Bates, MD MMM CPE CCHP CPHIMS
      CEO
      QCHC, Inc.
      4000 Eagle Point Drive
      Birmingham, Al. 35242
      Phone: 205-259-1912
      Cell: 205-382-2619
      email:jbates@...
    • coolcash3030
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 25, 2006
        I recently joined this group because of the latest issue of N&V -
        and probably the other 9 did so as well. I have a renewed interest
        in the COSMAC Elf. Back in 1976 I was a poor HS student and I
        couldn't seem to scrape enough together to build a complete system
        (especially the chips), but was very interested and desperately
        wanted to build it - I wished I had saved the original issue (as
        well as the Altair 8800 one) - nice collector items.

        I remember back then a couple of my HS friends built the COSMAC Elf
        as well as the Netronics kit (I was a member of an electronics club
        in HS). By the time these micro kits became affordable for me, I
        started working on the Intel chips, and later PICMicro, and forgot
        about the Elf and 1802 systems.

        The recent cover of N&V was a real nice flashback for me. I would
        build it with the switches just for the nostalgic look and
        experience Elf programming as I always wanted to back in 1976. I am
        amazed that they are still producing these (1802) chips! I think I
        saw once a radiation hardened version (Silicon on Saphire - SOS) for
        space probes or military applications!

        I notice there is somewhat of a "retro-revolution" going on in cars
        and LPs - they are coming back too I hear from audio experts! Now we
        have the micro retro-revolution. It's amazing though computer
        architecture has not changed much in 30 years.

        Chris

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wasson" <andrew@...> wrote:

        > Good on ya Bob!
        >
        > It took me quite some digging to find a magazine vendor that had
        the
        > issue but I just picked it up yesterday. I've been reading Nuts &
        > Volts for the past few years and it was one of the primary reasons
        > got back into electronics tinkering. I miss PE, ETI and RE but
        Circuit
        > Cellar and Nuts/Volts fill the gap.
        >
        > I look forward to part II of the series and hopefully they'll ask
        you
        > for more articles for expansion, etc...
        >
        > BTW; I notice we have 10 new members in the group. I wonder if they
        > joined after reading the article.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Andrew
        >
        > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Does anyone read Nuts and Volts magazine (www.nutsvolts.com) ?
        > The COSMAC
        > > Elf (2000) is on the cover of the August issue for a two part
        > article that
        > > appears this month and next.
        > >
        > > August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the original Popular
        > Electronics
        > > Elf article, after all.
        > >
        > > Bob

      • Johnny Bates
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 25, 2006
          Your right I am just a bit older than you and its
          seems hard to believe that things that were so new and
          inovative in our day are now relics in museums. I
          have attached an article that talks about the use of
          old processors in space systems and the Voyagers use
          of the 1802.

        • erd_6502
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 30, 2006
            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jamesa4404" <jamesa4404@...> wrote:

            > Yep. Time flys when your having fun. I love it that they show the
            > toggle switches, that what make it an Elf. You haven't lived until you
            > try to wire wrap one of those puppys (I mean the original shown 30
            > year ago).

            I never wire-wrapped an Elf, but I did make one with point-to-point
            wires (normal sockets, soldering...) that was a blast to make. I
            started from the original articles and a photo of a modern one, and
            had great success putting it together (only one wiring error that was
            quick to find). One of the best kicks was having the 1861 PIXIE video
            work the first time I toggled in the old "Enterprise" program...

            -ethan