COSMAC Elf2K on the cover of Nuts and Volts Magazine

  • Robert Armstrong
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
      Does anyone read Nuts and Volts magazine (www.nutsvolts.com) ? The COSMAC
      Elf (2000) is on the cover of the August issue for a two part article that
      appears this month and next.

      August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the original Popular Electronics
      Elf article, after all.

      Bob

    • Charles Richmond
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
        On Aug 16, 2006, at 7:08 AM, Robert Armstrong wrote:

        > Does anyone read Nuts and Volts magazine (www.nutsvolts.com) ?
        > The COSMAC
        > Elf (2000) is on the cover of the August issue for a two part
        > article that
        > appears this month and next.
        >
        > August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the original Popular
        > Electronics
        > Elf article, after all.
        >
        > Bob

        I was looking at the picture of the Spare-Time Gizmo's Elf.
        Does anyone know why individual mini-bat handle switches
        were used, instead of a hex keypad??? Is that to an attempt
        to be faithful to the original Elf from PE???

      • Robert Armstrong
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
          >Is that to an attempt
          >to be faithful to the original Elf from PE???

          Of course.

          Check the web page or the manual - there is a hex keypad option. The PC
          boards are currently sold out because, frankly, very few people want one,
          but I'll probably have another small run of them made at some point.

          Bob
        • Neil Breeden
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
            I guess I've grow used to you having the cover as I didn't think to mention
            it this time around. :-) Good article BTW.

            I keep wanting to build one but never seem to find time in my project
            time/money budgets.

            -Neil

            >Does anyone read Nuts and Volts magazine (www.nutsvolts.com) ? The COSMAC
            >Elf (2000) is on the cover of the August issue for a two part article that
            >appears this month and next.
            >
            >August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the original Popular Electronics
            >Elf article, after all.
            >
            >Bob

            .

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=4662078&grpspId=1600566162&msgId
            =4819&stime=1155730269&nc1=3848523&nc2=3848577&nc3=3848568>

          • Rodger
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 17, 2006
              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone read Nuts and Volts magazine (www.nutsvolts.com) ? The COSMAC
              > Elf (2000) is on the cover of the August issue for a two part article that
              > appears this month and next.
              >
              > August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the original Popular Electronics
              > Elf article, after all.

              Great article... very well written... as is everything you write.

              I can't wait for the next three parts of the articles (you know... the next two part
              article on expanding your Elf2K)

              Rodger!
            • englere.geo
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 17, 2006
                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@...> wrote:

                > August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the original Popular
                Electronics
                > Elf article, after all.

                How could 30 years pass so quickly? Does anyone else here feel old all
                of a sudden?
              • Robert Armstrong
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 17, 2006
                  >I can't wait for the next three parts of the articles (you know... the next
                  > two part article on expanding your Elf2K)

                  I'd like to do that, but I don't think I can talk them into publishing
                  more Elf articles. If you want more, email Robin Lemieux, the editor at
                  N&V, and let her know. I was a little surprised she let me talk her into a
                  two part piece as it is :-)

                  Bob
                • jamesa4404
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 18, 2006
                    Yep. Time flys when your having fun. I love it that they show the
                    toggle switches, that what make it an Elf. You haven't lived until you
                    try to wire wrap one of those puppys (I mean the original shown 30
                    year ago).

                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, englere.geo <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the original Popular
                    > Electronics
                    > > Elf article, after all.
                    >
                    > How could 30 years pass so quickly? Does anyone else here feel old all
                    > of a sudden?

                  • Andrew Wasson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 24, 2006
                      Good on ya Bob!

                      It took me quite some digging to find a magazine vendor that had the
                      issue but I just picked it up yesterday. I've been reading Nuts &
                      Volts for the past few years and it was one of the primary reasons I
                      got back into electronics tinkering. I miss PE, ETI and RE but Circuit
                      Cellar and Nuts/Volts fill the gap.

                      I look forward to part II of the series and hopefully they'll ask you
                      for more articles for expansion, etc...

                      BTW; I notice we have 10 new members in the group. I wonder if they
                      joined after reading the article.

                      Cheers,
                      Andrew

                      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@...> wrote:

                      > Does anyone read Nuts and Volts magazine (www.nutsvolts.com) ?
                      The COSMAC
                      > Elf (2000) is on the cover of the August issue for a two part
                      article that
                      > appears this month and next.
                      >
                      > August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the original Popular
                      Electronics
                      > Elf article, after all.
                      >
                      > Bob

                    • Johnny Bates
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 24, 2006
                        One of them did!

                        --- Andrew Wasson <andrew@...> wrote:

                        > Good on ya Bob!
                        >
                        > It took me quite some digging to find a magazine
                        > vendor that had the
                        > issue but I just picked it up yesterday. I've been
                        > reading Nuts &
                        > Volts for the past few years and it was one of the
                        > primary reasons I
                        > got back into electronics tinkering. I miss PE, ETI
                        > and RE but Circuit
                        > Cellar and Nuts/Volts fill the gap.
                        >
                        > I look forward to part II of the series and
                        > hopefully they'll ask you
                        > for more articles for expansion, etc...
                        >
                        > BTW; I notice we have 10 new members in the group. I
                        > wonder if they
                        > joined after reading the article.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Andrew
                        >
                        > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong"
                        > <bob@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Does anyone read Nuts and Volts magazine
                        > (www.nutsvolts.com) ?
                        > The COSMAC
                        > > Elf (2000) is on the cover of the August issue for
                        > a two part
                        > article that
                        > > appears this month and next.
                        > >
                        > > August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the
                        > original Popular
                        > Electronics
                        > > Elf article, after all.
                        > >
                        > > Bob

                        > removed]

                        Johnny E. Bates, MD MMM CPE CCHP CPHIMS
                        CEO
                        QCHC, Inc.
                        4000 Eagle Point Drive
                        Birmingham, Al. 35242
                        Phone: 205-259-1912
                        Cell: 205-382-2619
                        email:jbates@...
                      • Arthur J. Lekstutis
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 24, 2006
                          >BTW; I notice we have 10 new members in the group. I wonder if they
                          >joined after reading the article.

                          At least one of them. :-)

                          The Netronics Cosmac Elf II was my first microprocessor kit. Regretted
                          selling it even before it was sold (decades ago).

                          Artie Lekstutis
                        • coolcash3030
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 25, 2006
                            I recently joined this group because of the latest issue of N&V -
                            and probably the other 9 did so as well. I have a renewed interest
                            in the COSMAC Elf. Back in 1976 I was a poor HS student and I
                            couldn't seem to scrape enough together to build a complete system
                            (especially the chips), but was very interested and desperately
                            wanted to build it - I wished I had saved the original issue (as
                            well as the Altair 8800 one) - nice collector items.

                            I remember back then a couple of my HS friends built the COSMAC Elf
                            as well as the Netronics kit (I was a member of an electronics club
                            in HS). By the time these micro kits became affordable for me, I
                            started working on the Intel chips, and later PICMicro, and forgot
                            about the Elf and 1802 systems.

                            The recent cover of N&V was a real nice flashback for me. I would
                            build it with the switches just for the nostalgic look and
                            experience Elf programming as I always wanted to back in 1976. I am
                            amazed that they are still producing these (1802) chips! I think I
                            saw once a radiation hardened version (Silicon on Saphire - SOS) for
                            space probes or military applications!

                            I notice there is somewhat of a "retro-revolution" going on in cars
                            and LPs - they are coming back too I hear from audio experts! Now we
                            have the micro retro-revolution. It's amazing though computer
                            architecture has not changed much in 30 years.

                            Chris

                            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wasson" <andrew@...> wrote:

                            > Good on ya Bob!
                            >
                            > It took me quite some digging to find a magazine vendor that had
                            the
                            > issue but I just picked it up yesterday. I've been reading Nuts &
                            > Volts for the past few years and it was one of the primary reasons
                            > got back into electronics tinkering. I miss PE, ETI and RE but
                            Circuit
                            > Cellar and Nuts/Volts fill the gap.
                            >
                            > I look forward to part II of the series and hopefully they'll ask
                            you
                            > for more articles for expansion, etc...
                            >
                            > BTW; I notice we have 10 new members in the group. I wonder if they
                            > joined after reading the article.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Andrew
                            >
                            > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Does anyone read Nuts and Volts magazine (www.nutsvolts.com) ?
                            > The COSMAC
                            > > Elf (2000) is on the cover of the August issue for a two part
                            > article that
                            > > appears this month and next.
                            > >
                            > > August 2006 is the 30th anniversary of the original Popular
                            > Electronics
                            > > Elf article, after all.
                            > >
                            > > Bob

                          • Johnny Bates
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 25, 2006
                              Your right I am just a bit older than you and its
                              seems hard to believe that things that were so new and
                              inovative in our day are now relics in museums. I
                              have attached an article that talks about the use of
                              old processors in space systems and the Voyagers use
                              of the 1802.

                            • erd_6502
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 30, 2006
                                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jamesa4404" <jamesa4404@...> wrote:

                                > Yep. Time flys when your having fun. I love it that they show the
                                > toggle switches, that what make it an Elf. You haven't lived until you
                                > try to wire wrap one of those puppys (I mean the original shown 30
                                > year ago).

                                I never wire-wrapped an Elf, but I did make one with point-to-point
                                wires (normal sockets, soldering...) that was a blast to make. I
                                started from the original articles and a photo of a modern one, and
                                had great success putting it together (only one wiring error that was
                                quick to find). One of the best kicks was having the 1861 PIXIE video
                                work the first time I toggled in the old "Enterprise" program...

                                -ethan