Release of Elf/OS Kernel v0.2.8

  • rileym65
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      To those who are interested,

      I have released version 0.2.8 of Elf/OS. The following changes have
      been made:

      1. sectors per lump can now be set as any power of 2 between 1 and
      128. It is no longer necessary to have the lump size set to 8
      sectors. FSGEN still only creates disks with 8 sectors per lump. I
      will release a new FSGEN at some point that can create disk formats
      with the other lump sizes. With this change, it is now possible for
      Elf/OS to support up to 4gb drives. 128 sectors per lump * 65535
      lumps * 512 bytes per sector = 4gb.

      2. o_execbin API call has been added. This is similar to the o_exec
      function call except that instead of trying to execute the program out
      of the current directory, it attempts to execute the program from the
      default exec directory, normally /BIN

      3. o_setdef API call has been added. This call when passed a pathname
      will reset the default exec directory, so it need no longer always be
      /BIN, although /BIN is always the power on default. If this function
      is passed a buffer with the first byte 0, then the buffer will be
      filled with the current pathname for the default exec directory.

      4. Upon startup (or warmboot) the kernel attempts to start /BIN/SHELL.
      This can be used to start a custom shell application, like my
      integrated shell (must be installed separately). If /BIN/SHELL cannot
      be executed, then the default kernel command loop will be used to
      process commands.

      As usual, I have provided both Rc/Hex and Intel/Hex files of the
      complete Elf/OS package as well as the kernel sources. All files can
      be downloaded from the Elf/OS page on my site.

      Mike