Re: New user says hello (Cosmic Elf 2K)

  • rileym65
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
      The best source for examples of programs is on my website
      (http://www.elf-emulation.com/) All of the software that I have
      available for download is available in source form and all of it is
      designed to be assembled with Rc/Asm.

      Mike

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jamesa4404" <jamesa4404@...> wrote:

      > I got Mike's Rc/Asm loaded up on my Linux system. The Makefile worked
      > fine after I got a "C" compliler loaded up too. That's the minor
      > detail I overlooked, Ha, Ha. So now that I have it loaded, where do I
      > go? I suppose I have to put together some files of RCA machine code to
      > cross assemble. I read the document asm.doc and I am still drawing a
      > blank. A couple of sample files in text format would really help.
      > Something simple like a "Dice roller" or a "Math drill" would be great.
      >
      > BTW, v85 of elf2k does have rcBasic instead TinyBasic. A far as the
      > argument after RND I think it a single integer which represents the
      > higest random number wanted. i.e. RND(6) generates a number between 0
      > and 6. I'm not sure but that my best guess. Any thoughts? I'm sure
      > someone knows for sure.
      >
      > I'm and Elf fan since the P.E. write up in 1976. Look forward to
      > hearing from others. The Cosmic Elf 2K is great. I finally have a use
      > for HyperTerminal. jat
      >
      > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Welcome to the group!!
      > >
      > > now for your questions,,, depending on what version of the Elf2K rom
      > > you have, there are 2 different BASICs that were used in it. You
      > > would have to get together with Bob (Elf2k designer) to determine
      > > which one you have. The newer ROM has Rc/BasicL2 in it, in which case
      > > the rnd command takes only a single argument. Not sure about the
      > > basic that was in the older roms.
      > >
      > > For a cross assembler, you could take a look at my Rc/Asm
      > > (http://www.elf-emulation.com/) It runs on Linux and i believe
      > > somebody here has it running on windows as well. All the software
      > > from my site can be assembled using this assembler.
      > >
      > > As for realiable and inexpensive sources for 1802s, welcome to the
      > > club! every now and then somebody has some they are willing to let go
      > > cheap, but for the most part, they are harder to come by.
      > >
      > > Again, welcome to the group!
      > >
      > > Mike
      > >
      > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jamesa4404" <jamesa4404@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi: I got my Cosmic Elf 2K up and running. I have a couple of
      > > > questions that probably should go as separate messages. I hope
      to hear
      > > > from some of you.
      > > >
      > > > My first question is about Tiny Basic on the Elf 2K. I typed in the
      > > > sample exactly like shown in the user manual, but it bombs out
      on the
      > > > first statement i.e 10 A=RND(1, 181), and it gives an error 2 on
      line
      > > > 10. Any ideas why? (I'm using a HyperTerminal set-up for a
      terminal).

      > > > Question 2: I have noticed that there are some "cross assemblers"
      > > > available. Can some one give me a recommendation about which one to
      > > > use, and some tips on setting one up? (I can go Linux or Windows.)
      > > > Some sample files listings with good comment would be wonderful.
      > > >
      > > > Question 3: I need a reliable and inexpensive source for 1802
> [...]
    • Allison Parent
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 24, 2006
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@...> wrote:

        > >My first question is about Tiny Basic on the Elf 2K. I typed in the
        > >sample exactly like shown in the user manual, but it bombs out on the
        > >first statement i.e 10 A=RND(1, 181), and it gives an error 2 on line
        > >10. Any ideas why? (I'm using a HyperTerminal set-up for a terminal).

        change that to:

        10 A=RND(181)

        Try that.

        RCbasic/l2 is significantly more powerful than the earlier Tiny
        Basic. However there are many differences and improvements.

        > As Mike said, if you have the V85 or later EPROM, then it contains
        Mike's
        > rcBASIC rather than the Tiny BASIC that's documented in the manual.
        >
        > I'd like to have a manual for Mike's BASIC, but I don't think one
        exists.
        > Mike?
        >
        > Bob

        Bob,

        I haven't dropped it. I've been delayed on it. It's still in the
        works as life and some needed work intervenes. I've been back to
        it recently and making progress. Building good documents is very
        difficult, which is why I happen to appreciate the ELF2000 manuals.

        Allison
      • Richard
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 26, 2006
          Where did you get the line 10? If this is in the manual it needs to be
          changed.
          I currently know of no basic tiny or otherwise that it would work in.

          I may need to read over bob's new manual.

          Richard

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 27, 2006
            Richard wrote:
            > Where did you get the line 10? If this is in the manual it needs to
            > be changed. I currently know of no basic tiny or otherwise that it
            > would work in.

            RCA's instruction manual for the Evaluation Kit (MPM-224) came with a
            Pittman Tiny BASIC that used two arguments for the RND function.
            RND(1,10) returns a random number between 1 and 10.
            --
            Ring the bells that still can ring
            Forget the perfect offering