Execution Speed - Elf II

  • bill_rowe_ottawa
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2002
      Can anyone clarify the instruction execution speed of the ELF for
      me? As I understand it the clock speed was effectively 1.79MHZ. Then
      at 8 clock cycles per cpu cycle that's 223K cycles per second or
      111,500 or so instructions per second. Does that seem right?
    • cdp1861
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2002
        Hi!

        Most instructions need two cycles or 16 clocks, but there are some
        like C0 XX XX which need three cycles (24 clocks).

        Richard

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2002
          bill_rowe_ottawa wrote:

          > Can anyone clarify the instruction execution speed of the ELF for
          > me? As I understand it the clock speed was effectively 1.79MHZ. Then
          > at 8 clock cycles per cpu cycle that's 223K cycles per second or
          > 111,500 or so instructions per second. Does that seem right?

          Basically, yes. The 1.79 MHz clock frequency is right. Each CPU cycle
          takes 8 clock cycles, so they are all 1.79 MHz / 8 or 223,750 per
          second. Most instructions have one fetch and one execute cycle; for
          them, the instruction rate is thus 223,750 / 2 = 111,875 per second. But
          a few instructions have one fetch and two execute cycles; thus their
          instruction rate is 223,750 / 3 = 74,583 per second.

          So the exact instruction execution rate is somewhere between these two
          extremes, depending on the mix of 2-cycle and 3-cycle instructions.
          --
          Lee A. Hart Ring the bells that still can ring
          814 8th Ave. N. Forget your perfect offering