Re: COSMAC VIP

  • Allison Parent
    Message 1 of 67 , Mar 5, 2006
      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Backhouse" <paul@...> wrote:

      > Many Thanks Alison.
      >
      > Wow...! After a flurry last minute activity the COSMAC VIP on eBay
      just fetched US $527.75!! (Only cost $275 new!)
      > So I resisted the temptation to fire off a killer bid in the final
      45 seconds! It's gone to what looks like could be a collector in Japan.

      Good ole E-overpay.

      > ...And after that I definitely will check out the ELK2k and EELF.

      I have the EELF (Embedded ELF) with the ELF disk as well.
      Exceptionally well thought out design.

      The difference between the EELF and Elf2000 (elf2k) is the lack of
      switches (elfen style) and ability to add the CDP1861/STG1861 PIXIE
      graphics chip (or STG subsitute).

      Base system is 1802, 32k ram, 32k Rom (with monitor, basic, forth,
      ed/asm and bios for ELFos). Enough there to be as useful as any
      ELF out there.

      Enough plug: I'm very satisfied user and also a scratch builder.

      Allison

      > Brgds
      >
      > Paul.

      programming

      > Service.

      > Visit the COSMAC ELF website at http://www.cosmacelf.com

      Palm os software
      > Palm os bible Palm os development tool Palm os programming

      Service.

    • Al Winfrey
      Message 67 of 67 , Nov 14, 2006
        We do a bit of "armchair engineering" that's for sure but some things
        actually became reality. Hopefully someone who's did it will chime
        in.

        I have used the ET-3400 for several years after buying it from an ex-
        Heathkit employee named Bob Groh. It has the 4-k memory expansion and
        serial I/O and cassette tape interfaces along with Heath's neat
        debugging monitor (written by Wintek). Heath's 2k Tiny Basic is a
        plus and it was written by Tom Pittman.

        The Heath Tiny Basic runs about 3 times faster than my Elf 2k version
        exectuing the same cpu-intensive tasks but I haven't really looked
        into why. Speed is only secondary to me right now.

        One could make an expansion interface with all those features that
        would fit below the original et-3400 main circuit board with a little
        effort. Parts are much more compact these days. If I did that then I
        would always make sure that the modification was reversable at a
        later date so that the original system appearance could be restored.

        Don't worry, I'll get back to the Elves later. 1802's are still fun
        too! :o)

        al