COMX 35 Emulator?

  • Marcel van Tongeren
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
      Hello,

      I read some old posts (2 years ago) on this group about starting a COMX
      35 emulator. Does anyone have any news on this? Is the project still
      ongoing, can I offer my help? I used to program quite a bit in
      assembler code on the COMX so I have some knowledge about the video
      processor handling etc although it is quite a few years ago!

      If there is no development ongoing, I'm considering starting
      development of an emulator myself. There was some talk about the system
      dump of the COMX did anyone manage to get a copy of the COMX BASIC ROM?

      Also as you guys have some 1802 emulators, could I base it on existing
      C++ code for an 1802 emulator? If so where can I find that?

      Cheers, Marcel.
    • rileym65
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
        If I could find the information, I would not mind adding a comx mode
        to my emulator...
        Mike

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel van Tongeren"
        <marcel.van.tongeren@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I read some old posts (2 years ago) on this group about starting a COMX
        > 35 emulator. Does anyone have any news on this? Is the project still
        > ongoing, can I offer my help? I used to program quite a bit in
        > assembler code on the COMX so I have some knowledge about the video
        > processor handling etc although it is quite a few years ago!
        >
        > If there is no development ongoing, I'm considering starting
        > development of an emulator myself. There was some talk about the system
        > dump of the COMX did anyone manage to get a copy of the COMX BASIC ROM?
        >
        > Also as you guys have some 1802 emulators, could I base it on existing
        > C++ code for an 1802 emulator? If so where can I find that?
        >
        > Cheers, Marcel.

      • rileym65
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
          Marcel,
          If you want to write your own emulator,,, you can get the full
          source for mine on my website, that should give you a good basis to
          start. But if you use it, i would appreciate some recognition...

          <marcel.van.tongeren@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I read some old posts (2 years ago) on this group about starting a COMX
          > 35 emulator. Does anyone have any news on this? Is the project still
          > ongoing, can I offer my help? I used to program quite a bit in
          > assembler code on the COMX so I have some knowledge about the video
          > processor handling etc although it is quite a few years ago!
          >
          > If there is no development ongoing, I'm considering starting
          > development of an emulator myself. There was some talk about the system
          > dump of the COMX did anyone manage to get a copy of the COMX BASIC ROM?
          >
          > Also as you guys have some 1802 emulators, could I base it on existing
          > C++ code for an 1802 emulator? If so where can I find that?
          >
          > Cheers, Marcel.

        • Marcel van Tongeren
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
            Hi Mike,

            Sure, if I manage something (depending on a lot of things; time,
            availability of rom dump, documentation etc) I would give you
            recognition. What is your emulator supporting now? Where can I find
            it? is it in C++?

            Cheers, Marcel.

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Marcel,
            > If you want to write your own emulator,,, you can get the full
            > source for mine on my website, that should give you a good basis to
            > start. But if you use it, i would appreciate some recognition...
            > Mike
            >
            > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel van Tongeren"
            > <marcel.van.tongeren@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > I read some old posts (2 years ago) on this group about starting
            a COMX
            > > 35 emulator. Does anyone have any news on this? Is the project
            still
            > > ongoing, can I offer my help? I used to program quite a bit in
            > > assembler code on the COMX so I have some knowledge about the
            video
            > > processor handling etc although it is quite a few years ago!
            > >
            > > If there is no development ongoing, I'm considering starting
            > > development of an emulator myself. There was some talk about the
            system
            > > dump of the COMX did anyone manage to get a copy of the COMX
            BASIC ROM?

            > > Also as you guys have some 1802 emulators, could I base it on
            existing
            > > C++ code for an 1802 emulator? If so where can I find that?
            > >
            > > Cheers, Marcel.

          • rileym65
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
              Marcel,
              My emulator is written in c and can be found at:

              http:\\www.elf-emulation.com\

              My emulator does rely on a library "librcs" which is located on the
              same page as my emulator (sources available there as well). The
              library is primarily used for dealing with the graphics. The cpu (and
              other devices) emulation is pure c and can be compiled on c++ systems
              with little effort, in fact the windows version of my emulator was
              compiled in VC++ 6.0...

              <marcel.van.tongeren@...> wrote:

              > Hi Mike,
              >
              > Sure, if I manage something (depending on a lot of things; time,
              > availability of rom dump, documentation etc) I would give you
              > recognition. What is your emulator supporting now? Where can I find
              > it? is it in C++?
              >
              > Cheers, Marcel.
              >
              > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Marcel,
              > > If you want to write your own emulator,,, you can get the full
              > > source for mine on my website, that should give you a good basis to
              > > start. But if you use it, i would appreciate some recognition...
              > > Mike
              > >
              > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel van Tongeren"
              > > <marcel.van.tongeren@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello,
              > > >
              > > > I read some old posts (2 years ago) on this group about starting
              > a COMX
              > > > 35 emulator. Does anyone have any news on this? Is the project
              > still
              > > > ongoing, can I offer my help? I used to program quite a bit in
              > > > assembler code on the COMX so I have some knowledge about the
              > video
              > > > processor handling etc although it is quite a few years ago!
              > > >
              > > > If there is no development ongoing, I'm considering starting
              > > > development of an emulator myself. There was some talk about the
              > system
              > > > dump of the COMX did anyone manage to get a copy of the COMX
              > BASIC ROM?
              > > >
              > > > Also as you guys have some 1802 emulators, could I base it on
              > existing
              > > > C++ code for an 1802 emulator? If so where can I find that?
              > > >
              > > > Cheers, Marcel.

            • Marcel van Tongeren
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
                Hi Mike,

                Thanks for the help! Got all the files; I think you are right it
                might be nicest to just add a module to your emulator. Will start
                investigating that possibility; please note this is going to take me
                quite some time.....

                Maybe to kick me off, do you have any make or project file for the
                windows compilation you did?

                Still need the COMX 35 rom files to give it a proper test in a few
                weeks or months..... anyone has them? Our COMX is in my brother's
                attick in some box somewhere.... not sure if it still works, also not
                sure how to get the dump to a PC..... anyone ever tried reading COMX
                disks on a PC or other?

                Cheers, Marcel

                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > Marcel,
                > My emulator is written in c and can be found at:
                >
                > http:\\www.elf-emulation.com\
                >
                > My emulator does rely on a library "librcs" which is located on
                the
                > same page as my emulator (sources available there as well). The
                > library is primarily used for dealing with the graphics. The cpu
                (and
                > other devices) emulation is pure c and can be compiled on c++
                systems
                > with little effort, in fact the windows version of my emulator was
                > compiled in VC++ 6.0...
                >
                > Mike

              • rileym65
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Marcel,
                  Contact me offline and i will send you the build directory for the
                  windows version

                  The best way to get the rom image (if you have a comx) is to pull
                  the rom out of it and stick it in a chip programmer. Ever chip
                  programmer I have ever seen have been capable of reading the rom chips.

                  Do not hesitate to ask if you need assistance with anything.