Re: [cosmacelf] Re: WTD: Popular Electronics 5th Elf article - "How to Upgrade a Basic Elf Microcomputer"

  • Philip Pemberton
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2002
      Bill Buzbee wrote:
      > I've got this one, and will scan and upload it later today. I've
      > also got an issue from Nov. '78 which included an article on
      > constructing a light pen for the Elf to play tic-tac-toe. I'll do
      > that one too.
      Upload it where?
      Can you try and use a lossless format (i.e. not JPEG or DjVu)? I found some
      JPEG copies of the Elf articles and they were, to put it mildly, totally
      unreadable.

      Thanks.
      --
      Phil.
      philpem@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
        Hi,
        Just spotted this on ebay:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1574927387
        It's a copy of Popular Electronics February 1978, featuring an article
        called "How to Upgrade a Basic Elf Microcomputer". This was (from what I can
        gather) a way to add a cassette interface, TTY interface, etc. to the Elf.
        Does anyone have this article? Even better, does anyone with a flatbed image
        scanner have this article? If someone could scan their copy of this article
        and either e-mail me it or upload it to an FTP site (will send URL later),
        I'd really appreciate it.
        I've just finished building the PIXIE video interface and now I want to
        add a bit more to my Elf - a cassette interface would really be useful.
        I've got scanned copies of the articles that someone sent me as 300dpi
        256-greyscale PNG-format images on my web router at
        http://philpem.dyndns.org - usually available between 8AM and 10PM UK time.

        Thanks.
        --
        Phil.
        philpem@...
        http://www.philpem.dsl.pipex.com/
      • Bill Buzbee
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
          I've got this one, and will scan and upload it later today. I've
          also got an issue from Nov. '78 which included an article on
          constructing a light pen for the Elf to play tic-tac-toe. I'll do
          that one too.
          ...Bill

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
            I've already done the scans (just had a few minutes before I had to
            head out) and converted to .pdf. The images are pretty huge -
            didn't spend any time trying to make things small. Let me know if
            this doesn't work out and I'll try again (but it may be a week or
            two before I have another chance). Here they are - grab 'em quick
            before I need to reclaim space:

            http://www.buzbee.net/elf/pe-11-78.pdf
            http://www.buzbee.net/elf/pe-2-78.pdf