Re: Netronics ELFII

  • Andrew Wasson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2005
      Hi Paul,

      Great to see the pictures of your ELFII. My first micro was an ELFII
      back in high school. I had a 4k ram board but didn't expand it much
      further than adding an amp and speaker to my Q. Sadly I lost mine
      sometime during the last 20 or so years.

      Yours looks great!

      Happy New Year

      Andrew

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Backhouse" <paul@w...> wrote:

      > Bill et al
      >
      > Many thanks for the warm welcome. My ELFII has indeed re-awakened
      > now after at least 25 years in store. To mark this auspicious
      > occasion right at the very end of 2005 I've posted 3 piccies in the
      > group gallery. One is a screen shot of the Level III Basic Welcome.
      >
      > I'd been led to believe EPROM content was good for only around 20
      > years & was surprised the ELF was still OK. I just had to re-seat a
      > couple of the expansion boards before the HEX keypad responded and
      > the Q-led started strobing! My initial interest is hardware & comms-
      > side (more on this in a separate post) and I'm hoping the ELF will
      > start a meaningful relationship with my HP Pavilion. I recollect
      > most problems were with my FastVid board.
      >
      > Bill I've just bought a TX, so I will be very interested to have a
      > look especially at the Palm-based emulation. I had not realised
      > these existed. Many thanks.
      >
      > A very happy New Year to One and All.
      >
      > Paul.
      >
      > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Rowe" <bill_rowe@r...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Paul: Welcome aboard. I too had an Elf II back in the day and
      > learned a lot
      > > from it. It's sort of amazing how the machine appealed to coders
      > and
      > > hackers. If you look back in the archives you can find some
      > wonderful
      > > things:
      > > - A PC program to let you read old tape cassettes into digital
      > format
      > > - Uploads of languages from Forth on up.
      > > - Collective, inter-continental debugging and reverse engineering
      > sessions
      > > - There's one especially engaging thread where somebody tracked
      > down an
      > > author of one of the original basic's and amazed him that people
      > were still
      > > talking about it nearly 30 years on.
      > >
      > > Just lots of fun.
      > >
      > > I encourage you to resurrect the hardware but for an easy dose of
      > nostalgia,
      > > download one of the PC emulators. Mine is the fastest and most
      > faithful
      > > (flame on) but probably Tom Riley's is all around best. It's just
      > fun to
      > > type in 7B 7A 30 00 and watch the LED blink. There's a palm-based
      > elf
      > > emulator that's great too.
      > >
      > > Good Luck.

    • Paul Backhouse
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        Many thanks Andrew. ELFII reminds me of a pioneering self-build era when (mainly) people rather than corporations had understanding and control..... ;-) Original ELF owners share the experience of socket-by-socket, component-by-component assembly, and that nervous moment of powering-up for the very first time - hopefully followed by a high when it all worked!

        All the best for 2006.

        Paul.

        Great to see the pictures of your ELFII. My first micro was an ELFII
        back in high school. I had a 4k ram board but didn't expand it much
        further than adding an amp and speaker to my Q. Sadly I lost mine
        sometime during the last 20 or so years.

        Yours looks great!

        Happy New Year

        Andrew

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Backhouse" <paul@w...> wrote:

        > Bill et al
        >
        > Many thanks for the warm welcome. My ELFII has indeed re-awakened
        > now after at least 25 years in store. To mark this auspicious
        > occasion right at the very end of 2005 I've posted 3 piccies in the
        > group gallery. One is a screen shot of the Level III Basic Welcome.
        >
        > I'd been led to believe EPROM content was good for only around 20
        > years & was surprised the ELF was still OK. I just had to re-seat a
        > couple of the expansion boards before the HEX keypad responded and
        > the Q-led started strobing! My initial interest is hardware & comms-
        > side (more on this in a separate post) and I'm hoping the ELF will
        > start a meaningful relationship with my HP Pavilion. I recollect
        > most problems were with my FastVid board.
        >
        > Bill I've just bought a TX, so I will be very interested to have a
        > look especially at the Palm-based emulation. I had not realised
        > these existed. Many thanks.
        >
        > A very happy New Year to One and All.
        >
        > Paul.
        >
        > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Rowe" <bill_rowe@r...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Paul: Welcome aboard. I too had an Elf II back in the day and
        > learned a lot
        > > from it. It's sort of amazing how the machine appealed to coders
        > and
        > > hackers. If you look back in the archives you can find some
        > wonderful
        > > things:
        > > - A PC program to let you read old tape cassettes into digital
        > format
        > > - Uploads of languages from Forth on up.
        > > - Collective, inter-continental debugging and reverse engineering
        > sessions
        > > - There's one especially engaging thread where somebody tracked
        > down an
        > > author of one of the original basic's and amazed him that people
        > were still
        > > talking about it nearly 30 years on.
        > >
        > > Just lots of fun.
        > >
        > > I encourage you to resurrect the hardware but for an easy dose of
        > nostalgia,
        > > download one of the PC emulators. Mine is the fastest and most
        > faithful
        > > (flame on) but probably Tom Riley's is all around best. It's just
        > fun to
        > > type in 7B 7A 30 00 and watch the LED blink. There's a palm-based
        > elf
        > > emulator that's great too.
        > >
        > > Good Luck.

        Visit the COSMAC ELF website at http://www.cosmacelf.com

        Palm os software Palm os bible Palm os development tool