just for thouht

  • custom77chevy
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2005
      the other day i was surfing the net reading about computer that
      started the big bang. and one of the first thing my pice of walmart
      crap computer sent me was of the altiar 8800 and for most this was one
      of if not the first home pc any back to the point i was trying to get
      to im not sure if it would make it any easyer or better but the one
      thing i thought was neat about the altair was that it for the most
      part didnt have a one pice mother board the computer came with the
      switch panel and abounch of cards that went into the connecters. the
      reason i am bringing this up is i am waning to build a elf and i liked
      the way the altair had cards for the cpu , mem , and other stuff i was
      wondering how hard it would be to build a elf like a altiar
      thanks for any input from the group
      craig
    • J.C. Wren
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 25, 2005
        Craig,

        I've enclosed some spare 'period' punctuation characters for your
        use. The shortage of them makes parsing the below quite painful. If
        you need more, let me know, I have plenty.

        --jc

        custom77chevy wrote:

        > the other day i was surfing the net reading about computer that
        > started the big bang. and one of the first thing my pice of walmart
        > crap computer sent me was of the altiar 8800 and for most this was one
        > of if not the first home pc any back to the point i was trying to get
        > to im not sure if it would make it any easyer or better but the one
        > thing i thought was neat about the altair was that it for the most
        > part didnt have a one pice mother board the computer came with the
        > switch panel and abounch of cards that went into the connecters. the
        > reason i am bringing this up is i am waning to build a elf and i liked
        > the way the altair had cards for the cpu , mem , and other stuff i was
        > wondering how hard it would be to build a elf like a altiar
        > thanks for any input from the group
        > craig

      • Andrew Wasson
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 25, 2005
          Hmmm Interesting.

          * I like to think of the Mark 8 as being one of the real first
          hobbiest computers and then the Altair and Imsai's followed but there
          were others that came before even then.

          Craig, if you're interested in doing something like that or anybody
          for that matter, all you need to do is have a buss system figured out
          and then break your computer into seperate modules for your front
          panel, memory, I/O, processor, display, etc... Any computer can be
          built that way. I like the idea of a bunch of leds and switches too ;-)

          I thought about 6 months ago one of our members put up a bunch of
          images of 5 versions of Cosmac Elf with card cages and seperate cards
          to handle each area required.

          If you want a starting point to build a computer like that look at the
          post I put up a couple of days ago about Robert's Embedded Elf. It's a
          perfect starting point for for a system like this and he has already
          devised the buss and has a few expansion boards available and more in
          the works for Disk (Flash) drive, hex keypad, sound, video card. The
          sky's the limit.

          Andrew

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "custom77chevy" <custom77chevy@y...>
          wrote:
          > the other day i was surfing the net reading about computer that
          > started the big bang. and one of the first thing my pice of walmart
          > crap computer sent me was of the altiar 8800 and for most this was one
          > of if not the first home pc any back to the point i was trying to get
          > to im not sure if it would make it any easyer or better but the one
          > thing i thought was neat about the altair was that it for the most
          > part didnt have a one pice mother board the computer came with the
          > switch panel and abounch of cards that went into the connecters. the
          > reason i am bringing this up is i am waning to build a elf and i liked
          > the way the altair had cards for the cpu , mem , and other stuff i was
          > wondering how hard it would be to build a elf like a altiar
          > thanks for any input from the group
          > craig
        • Andrew Wasson
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 25, 2005
            I did a little trolling through the old posts and found Ken Krother's
            Elfs which are more in line with what you're proposing Craig.

            http://ken.krother.com/1802/

            Andrew

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
              custom77chevy wrote:
              > I want to build an Elf. I liked the way the Altair had cards
              > for the CPU, memory, and other stuff. I was wondering how hard
              > it would be to build an Elf like an Altair?

              My first computers were all built like this. It is the only way to do it
              when you want to be able to change and upgrade things easily!

              My Elf used 4.5" x 6.5" perfboard with 22-pin double-sided edge
              connectors. This is a standard size that Radio Shack carries even today.
              RCA used that same connector on all their 1802 systems. Their schematics
              are all published, so if you use their bus pinouts you can use any of
              their "Microboards".

              My first CPU board had just the 1802 and its clock and reset circuit.
              Very empty board; just a few chips.

              My memory board had two bytewise memory chips, and a few decoder chips.
              Also very simple and empty.

              My front panel board had all the switches and LEDs you see on an Elf. It
              was fairly full because all those switches and LEDs take a lot of room,
              plus the were half a dozen chips to drive them.

              My I/O board had a current-loop "bit banger" serial interface for an old
              Baudot mechanical teletype. That was my keyboard and line printer. This
              board also had a audio cassette interface. This board was also mostly
              empty.

              As I learned, I built better boards for each of these. I could add the
              new boards and test them one at a time. It worked out very well, and let
              me develop the first TMSI BASYS board, which was the more usual "single
              board computer".
              --
              Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong
              reasons.
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
                I would be happy to be of assistance if you are looking at my 1802
                system and have any questions.

                Ken

              • custom77chevy
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
                  hey that would be cool i would much like to build a elf.
                  but a few things are stoping me one is not much of a way of getting
                  the parts that i need to build it.
                  and the other is i really have no idea how to build it
                  but i think it would be rad to have a elf built like this
                • Allison Parent
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 15, 2005
                    Lee,

                    I've done this as well using S100 as I already had 8K ram cards
                    and IO. One trick for the IO was to borrow Bob Petty's (1802 on the
                    S100 bus) idea of memory mapped IO for the 1802.

                    I alsp have one of your TMSI SBC100-x3 boards. That with 4 boards
                    to FP, memory, IO and a RAMDISK it's a cute system.

                    Allison