Re: Max Elf2000 speed?

  • erd_6502
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 14, 2005
      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "bobarmstrong_gizmos" <bob@j...> wrote:
      > The BCE works fine in the Embedded Elf at 5Mhz...
      > nearly the same circuit as the Elf 2K, but w/o
      > the Pixie, the TIL311s, and the switches so anything that works
      > there I'd expect to work in the Elf2K too.

      Embedded Elf? Sounds interesting (and cheaper to build!) Something
      new on the horizon at Spare Time Gizmos? Got any pictures yet?

      > The ElfDisk card works fine at the higher speeds.

      Not surprising, but good to have confirmed.

      -ethan
    • Robert Armstrong
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 14, 2005
        I've uploaded a photo to the Cosmac Elf group - it's right after "Ethan's
        Poptronics Elf" :-)

        The Embedded Elf is the same size as the ElfDisk daughter card (and the
        eventually to be released Elf Video card and Elf Sound card). It has the
        same expansion bus as the Elf2K and stacks with the disk/video/sound/etc
        cards to form a cute little "cube". The Embedded Elf is basically the same
        circuit as the Elf2K and can even use the same firmware EPROM as the Elf 2K.

        The primary differences are that the Embedded Elf lacks the switch
        interface, the TIL311 displays (although the EELF does have 8 LEDs for POST
        output), the voltage regulator (the EELF requires an external 5V supply),
        and the Pixie circuit. The EELF does have the same non-volatile memory (you
        can see the coin cell in the photo) and bit banged serial port with DS275
        EIA level shifter as the Elf2K. The push button you see in the photo is
        reset.

        As the name suggests, I did the EELF for a friend who wanted to use an
        1802 as a embedded controller. He designed his own I/O card for it that
        stacks on top of the expansion port, along with the ElfDisk card.

        It seems like there are enough Elf designs floating around as it is so I
        haven't made any real attempt to publicize it, but if enough people are
        interested I could order a few more PC boards.

        Bob

        > The BCE works fine in the Embedded Elf at 5Mhz...
        > nearly the same circuit as the Elf 2K, but w/o
        > the Pixie, the TIL311s, and the switches so anything that works
        > there I'd expect to work in the Elf2K too.

        Embedded Elf? Sounds interesting (and cheaper to build!) Something
        new on the horizon at Spare Time Gizmos? Got any pictures yet?

        > The ElfDisk card works fine at the higher speeds.

        Not surprising, but good to have confirmed.

        -ethan

        * Visit your group "cosmacelf
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cosmacelf> " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • erd_6502
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 14, 2005
          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@j...> wrote:

          > I've uploaded a photo to the Cosmac Elf group - it's right after
          > "Ethan's Poptronics Elf" :-)

          Heh... nice.

          > It seems like there are enough Elf designs floating around
          > as it is so I haven't made any real attempt to publicize it,
          > but if enough people are interested I could order a few more
          > PC boards.

          Well, Bob, you know I can't resist stuff like this. If you do a run,
          I'm in. I even have the DialLight LEDs (one of the more expensive
          single parts I see in the picture) in my parts bin.

          One request - if you do another run, is there room to have a second
          row of pins in parallel with one edge of the SRAM to permit using
          either a .6" 62256 _or_ a .3" 32K cache SRAM? I have both on hand,
          but some people might find one or the other easier to track down. I
          would expect, though, that one wouldn't want to use the BBU capability
          with a cache SRAM - the standby current would likely be too high and
          the battery would be sucked dry in no time.

          -ethan
        • Andrew Wasson
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 14, 2005
            Bob that's cool!
            I'll take a board if/when you get around to it.
            Nice work!
            Andrew