RCA VP3303 Data Terminal

  • Andrew Wasson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
      Hey guys,
      I managed to pick up a VP3303 Data Terminal the other day for a couple
      of bucks. From all outward appearances and for its age it is in decent
      shape. A quick test with my TV using the cable in had me typing a
      screen full of clear text and all buttons seem to work as expected. I
      think it works just fine.

      My question is, has anyone had experience with one of these little
      gizmos connecting it to an ELF type compute or other system?

      I haven't got any literature on it and haven't been able to Google any
      either.

      Thanks,
      Andrew
    • erd_6502
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wasson" <andrew@l...> wrote:
        > Hey guys,
        > I managed to pick up a VP3303 Data Terminal the other day for a couple
        > of bucks.

        Nice score. I got mine a number of years ago at the Dayton Hamvention
        for like $10.

        > From all outward appearances and for its age it is in decent
        > shape. A quick test with my TV using the cable in had me typing a
        > screen full of clear text and all buttons seem to work as expected.
        > I think it works just fine.

        Hmm... wish mine did. I haven't started digging into it, but I get
        *nothing* on the monitor when I apply power (the same monitor works
        fine with other 1802/1861 devices).

        > My question is, has anyone had experience with one of these little
        > gizmos connecting it to an ELF type compute or other system?

        No, but the DIP switches are well labelled, and it's a dumb terminal
        if nothing else. I wanted to hook my terminal to my STG Elf-2000, but
        first I have to fix it. :-/

        If anyone out there happens to have any technical docs, I'd love to
        hear about them.

        -ethan
      • sbirdasn
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wasson" <andrew@l...> wrote:
          > Hey guys,
          > I managed to pick up a VP3303 Data Terminal the other day for a
          couple
          > of bucks.

          Sweet! I want to pick one up myself, but have not bumped into one in
          quite a while... They're basically low-end smart terminals (RS-232)
          with video or video + RF output to standard NTSC monitors/TV's.

          > My question is, has anyone had experience with one of these little
          > gizmos connecting it to an ELF type compute or other system?

          It's just RS-232 on a DB-25F, but there will be a couple of special
          pin assignments due to the two key closure switches if my memory
          serves me well.

          That being said, here is a taste of the manual (VP-3301 = Video out
          sans RF output, VP-3303 = video + RF outputs):

          http://www.qwkslva.com/Museum/VP3301/vp3301.html

          > I haven't got any literature on it and haven't been able to Google
          any
          > either.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Andrew

          Hope that the little tidbits help a little. Alas, the manual portions
          are rather incomplete, but at least give you a taste of what it can
          do. As an aside, my google search was for "rca terminal vp-3301".
          Other combinations didn't yield what I remembered seeing, but this one
          got me to the right place.

          Tony.
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
            Andrew Wasson wrote:
            > I managed to pick up a VP3303 Data Terminal... My question is, has
            > anyone had experience with one of these little gizmos connecting it
            > to an ELF type compute or other system?

            Yes! I used one for several years. I had one of the models with the
            membrane keyboard and built-in 300-baud modem. It worked great with a
            color TV set for local BBSing (bulletin board systems).

            I had schematics for it, too. It used an 1802 and the 1869/70 video
            chips to produce the color 24x40 display. There was an expansion
            connector, and I had dreams of upgrading it into a "real computer", but
            never got around to it.

            The main drawback was the membrane keyboard, which was uncomfortable to
            use for long periods.
            --
            *BE* the change that you wish to see in the world.
            -- Mahatma Gandhi
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
              Thanks Ethan, Lee & Tony.

              I figured there had to be someone with a little info about them
              hanging around.

              I haven't even opened it up but I figured it had to have an 1802 under
              the hood. The video is actually pretty good for an older setup. I'm
              really please that it fired up first time and worked. I'll keep
              digging around for info on it and hopefully hook it up to one of my
              elf machines. My STG Elf 2000 has a reserved spot on one of my PC's
              but I have a few others that would benefit from the terminal.

              I wish I had a setup like that when I had my Elf II. The video is a
              whole lot better than the pixie and the keyboard would have been a lot
              nicer as well.

              Andrew

              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "sbirdasn" <sbirdasn@y...> wrote:
              > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wasson" <andrew@l...> wrote:
              > > Hey guys,
              > > I managed to pick up a VP3303 Data Terminal the other day for a
              > couple
              > > of bucks.
              >
              > Sweet! I want to pick one up myself, but have not bumped into one in
              > quite a while... They're basically low-end smart terminals (RS-232)
              > with video or video + RF output to standard NTSC monitors/TV's.
              >
              > > My question is, has anyone had experience with one of these little
              > > gizmos connecting it to an ELF type compute or other system?
              >
              > It's just RS-232 on a DB-25F, but there will be a couple of special
              > pin assignments due to the two key closure switches if my memory
              > serves me well.
              >
              > That being said, here is a taste of the manual (VP-3301 = Video out
              > sans RF output, VP-3303 = video + RF outputs):
              >
              > http://www.qwkslva.com/Museum/VP3301/vp3301.html
              >

              > > I haven't got any literature on it and haven't been able to Google
              > any
              > > either.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Andrew
              >
              > Hope that the little tidbits help a little. Alas, the manual portions
              > are rather incomplete, but at least give you a taste of what it can
              > do. As an aside, my google search was for "rca terminal vp-3301".
              > Other combinations didn't yield what I remembered seeing, but this one
              > got me to the right place.
              >
              > Tony.
            • Ralph Hyre
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
                I just picked up two VP-3301 terminals (to keep my old Studio II
                company), and wondered two things:
                1) How to get a power supply for it [what voltages?, I have many
                DIN connectors I can use]

                2) Might the ICs be socketed? (I'll cannibalize one to rebuild my ELF
                system)