ELF II Math Coprocessor

  • Chris Wardell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2005
      Does anyone have a source for the National Semiconductor MM57109N Math
      Coprocessor used by the ELF II. Mine seems to have died.

      Thanks

      Chris Wardell
    • Bill Rowe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2005
        that's pretty funny - I had forgotten that chip. could you actually plug it
        into the ELF II?
        > Does anyone have a source for the National Semiconductor MM57109N Math
        > Coprocessor used by the ELF II. Mine seems to have died.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Chris Wardell

      • Chris Wardell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2005
          Bill,

          There was the "Full Basic / Math" card that used the MM57109N and
          also had space for eproms containing the Basic code.

          The Math-Co was interfaced using a couple 1852 PIA's and a couple
          other small support chips.

          The Basic was called Level III Basic and was written by Larry
          Sandlin for Netronics.

          I have my Basic working, with the exception of any calls to the Math-
          Co.

          Chris

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Rowe" <bill_rowe@r...> wrote:
          > that's pretty funny - I had forgotten that chip. could you
          actually plug it
          > into the ELF II?

        • Chris Wardell
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2005
            Lee,

            I'm trying to restore the ELF to it's original state so an actual
            MM57109N would be preferred. I see them listed on some of the hard
            to find chip sites, I'll have to send a quote request.

            If I can't get one I'll probably do a pic or avr replacement that is
            hardware and software compatable.

            Chris

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Lee Hart <leeahart@e...> wrote:
            > Chris Wardell wrote:
            > >> Does anyone have a source for the National Semiconductor
            MM57109N
            > >> Math Coprocessor used by the ELF II. Mine seems to have died.
            >
            > Bill Rowe wrote:
            > > that's pretty funny - I had forgotten that chip.
            >
            > It was basically an ordinary calculator chip, but with an
            interface that
            > made it a bit easier to interface to a micro. Most micros
            (including the
            > 1802 can probably do all the same math just as fast -- but you'd
            have to
            > write the software! :-)
            >
            > A better choice if you really needed fast math might be the old
            AMD9511.
            > I would guess that it's still available.
            > --
            > If you would not be forgotten
            > When your body's dead and rotten
            > Then write of great deeds worth the reading
            > Or do the great deeds worth repeating
            > -- Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanac
            > --
            > Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
            leeahart_at_earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 28, 2005