Re: Does anyone have any info on an "MDA CPU"?

  • erd_6502
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wasson" <andrew@l...> wrote:
      > JC is right.
      >
      > They were CDP18S603A boards. I wouldn't have remebered the model but
      > it definitely tweaked my memory when I read it. ...And yes the
      > shipping cost was extrodinarily high. The boards were cheap.

      Ah... well then, I guess what I have is something different. I've
      spent some time on tracing the 44-pin edge connector and have
      identified the data bus, what seems to be buffered A0-A7 (connected to
      the RAM/ROM, but not directly connected to the 1802), power, ground, Q
      and SC0/SC1... still a lot to go. For the record, what I have is
      nothing like my BASYS board. It's likely that MDA Scientific just
      made up their own standard.

      -ethan
    • Paul Messinger
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
        I have the RCA book/manual on the CDP18S603 as well as the broader guide on
        that series of boards.

        The computersystems guide is CMB-250A and 16 pages with general info on the
        Microboard series.

        The CDP18S603 manual (MB-603) is 12 pages with complete detailed info
        including schematics of the board and how to set it up etc.

        Any ROM was user added.

        I can scan the manual as a large PDF to retain the "fine print".

        Both are in like new condition with no marks folds etc.

        Both of the Above seem needed (helpful?)to fully use the board with other
        RCA boards in the series etc.

        Paul

        PS found all the Quest 1802 boards and now sorting thru the misc I/C's I
        have that may be needed as unique or hard to find used on the boards.

        Still need to contact off line those who have sent me an email with an
        interest.

        Progress is slow but getting there.

        >> They were CDP18S603A boards. I wouldn't have remebered the model but
        >> it definitely tweaked my memory when I read it. ...And yes the
        >> shipping cost was extrodinarily high. The boards were cheap.

        > Ah... well then, I guess what I have is something different. I've
        > spent some time on tracing the 44-pin edge connector and have
        > identified the data bus, what seems to be buffered A0-A7 (connected to
        > the RAM/ROM, but not directly connected to the 1802), power, ground, Q
        > and SC0/SC1... still a lot to go. For the record, what I have is
        > nothing like my BASYS board. It's likely that MDA Scientific just
        > made up their own standard.
        >
        > -ethan

      • Dave Ruske
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
          On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:40 AM, Paul Messinger wrote:
          > I have the RCA book/manual on the CDP18S603 as well as the broader
          > guide on that series of boards. The computersystems guide is
          > CMB-250A and 16 pages with general info on the Microboard series...
          > I can scan the manual as a large PDF to retain the "fine print".

          And the copyright holders of those documents would be...?
        • Paul Messinger
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
            Quest had permission at the time to reproduce any relevant info from RCA.
            The SuperElf manual contains a lot from the 1802 microp manual.( I obtained
            the Quest 1802 product rights when Quest folded)

            I expected your comments BTW.

            As the manuals came with the boards originally; I would expect its OK for
            any owner of the board to have a copy.Thus my COMMENT/OFFER WAS ONLY
            intended FOR THOSE WHO NOW OWN THE BOARDS.

            General question however????

            Your question can be interperated to mean that no one can legally copy any
            data sheet from RCA etc,, So how does one use the product when the data
            books are no longer in print and not on the MFGR's web site????

            Paul

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
              On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Paul Messinger wrote:
              > Your question can be interperated to mean that no one can legally
              > copy any
              > data sheet from RCA etc,, So how does one use the product when the
              > data
              > books are no longer in print and not on the MFGR's web site????

              I don't really want to veer too far off 1802 related subjects again,
              but I found your spin on copyright interesting after previously
              posting about how "the copying common here and the associated web
              sites are technically illegal" <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
              cosmacelf/message/3675>.

              Your question points out one problem with copyright law as it
              currently stands, which is why some time ago I suggested group
              members submit their comments when the Copyright Office was
              soliciting them. Current developments may be found at <http://
              www.copyright.gov/orphan/index.html>.

              In the specific case of the 1800-series data sheets, popup text by
              the datasheets on cosmacelf.com gives this publication notice, per
              Intersil's instruction: "Permission granted by Doug Balog, Intersil
              Legal Dept., April 3, 2001. Cosmacelf.com is not affiliated with and
              makes no representations about their products." I thought Intersil
              was very cool about it, actually.

              Dave
            • Paul Messinger
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                And your point is??

                Paul
                > On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Paul Messinger wrote:
                >> Your question can be interperated to mean that no one can legally
                >> copy any
                >> data sheet from RCA etc,, So how does one use the product when the
                >> data
                >> books are no longer in print and not on the MFGR's web site????
                >
                > I don't really want to veer too far off 1802 related subjects again,
                > but I found your spin on copyright interesting after previously
                > posting about how "the copying common here and the associated web
                > sites are technically illegal" <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
                > cosmacelf/message/3675>.
                >
                > Your question points out one problem with copyright law as it
                > currently stands, which is why some time ago I suggested group
                > members submit their comments when the Copyright Office was
                > soliciting them. Current developments may be found at <http://
                > www.copyright.gov/orphan/index.html>.
                >
                > In the specific case of the 1800-series data sheets, popup text by
                > the datasheets on cosmacelf.com gives this publication notice, per
                > Intersil's instruction: "Permission granted by Doug Balog, Intersil
                > Legal Dept., April 3, 2001. Cosmacelf.com is not affiliated with and
                > makes no representations about their products." I thought Intersil
                > was very cool about it, actually.
                >
                > Dave

              • Paul Messinger
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                  Spin?? I only have stated what I have been told by "legal experts" in the
                  field. My original comments were regarding Quest as MY name etc was clearly
                  on later documents etc and I have always been easy to find. The two cases
                  RCA and Quest / PHM Design copyright issues are very different in a
                  practical matter. I have no problem with copying just the behind my back
                  copying without reasonable due diligence effort to find me and get
                  permission that was irking.

                  Perhaps I have been affected by a person on another list that copied manuals
                  and passed them around and in one case sold them while they were currently
                  available but at a higher cost that people wanted to pay. Ask Microsoft what
                  they think about this approach and I agree.

                  SPIN is to me defined as (I cannot reply on a public net what I think of
                  that word in this context)

                  Clearly there are different opinions on the rules.

                  In any event I will NOT copy any of my huge collection of RCA documents on
                  the various RCA development systems and microboards (this documentation
                  would allow, in most cases, duplication of the product as S/W listings and
                  schematics are included). As that is not clearly a part of Quest its not
                  part of the closeout of my hardware and software.

                  I have neither the time or interest in finding out who has the copyright as
                  this is NOT the component division of RCA but a different division (as I
                  recall) of board level systems etc.

                  I was only trying to help but that appears not possible so "people keep
                  reverse engineering" :-(.

                  Again I feel that holders of the hardware are allowed copies of the original
                  documentation but you appear to disagree and so be it.

                  But that seems to be so common on this list as I do not recall even ONE
                  question regarding the Superelf other than recently about the key caps (this
                  after disclosing I was the designer of most of the product line of 1802's.
                  There was a question to the list on a specific RCA part # and I replied that
                  I had the data and never got any reply, so much for common courtesy.

                  I in the past I have been asked if I had old boards and then offered to
                  accept them if I shipped them at my cost and free also. I have been offered
                  10% of what items would sell on EBay. Under those conditions I would rather
                  send it to the dump and so stated a short time ago.

                  Paul

                  > On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Paul Messinger wrote:
                  >> Your question can be interperated to mean that no one can legally
                  >> copy any
                  >> data sheet from RCA etc,, So how does one use the product when the
                  >> data
                  >> books are no longer in print and not on the MFGR's web site????
                  >
                  > I don't really want to veer too far off 1802 related subjects again,
                  > but I found your spin on copyright interesting after previously
                  > posting about how "the copying common here and the associated web
                  > sites are technically illegal" <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
                  > cosmacelf/message/3675>.
                  >
                  > Your question points out one problem with copyright law as it
                  > currently stands, which is why some time ago I suggested group
                  > members submit their comments when the Copyright Office was
                  > soliciting them. Current developments may be found at <http://
                  > www.copyright.gov/orphan/index.html>.
                  >
                  > In the specific case of the 1800-series data sheets, popup text by
                  > the datasheets on cosmacelf.com gives this publication notice, per
                  > Intersil's instruction: "Permission granted by Doug Balog, Intersil
                  > Legal Dept., April 3, 2001. Cosmacelf.com is not affiliated with and
                  > makes no representations about their products." I thought Intersil
                  > was very cool about it, actually.
                  >
                  > Dave

                • duanebenson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                    Stepping aside from the copyright issues, I do want to put in
                    a "thank you." I bought and built my Super Elf and Super Expansion
                    back in '79 or '80. It was a great learning tool and a lot of fun.
                    The amount of education I got from the thing far, far exceeded the
                    cost.

                    The Super Elf still works - other than a little key bounce issue. I
                    don't know about the 4K expansion board because the EPROM has long
                    since lost its M and I misplaced the expansion docs somewhere. I
                    still have a few programs that were painstakingly hand entered and
                    saved on cassette tape, though I'm not sure I still have a cassette
                    player anywhere.

                    My ten-year-old kid is even willing to take a break from his 2GHz,
                    512MByte beast to see what it was like in the old days.

                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Messinger" <paulm@o...>
                    wrote:
                    > And your point is??
                    >
                    > Paul

                  • Andrew Wasson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                      Duane,
                      I agree wholehartedly!

                      I had an Elf II back in 1980 because a classmate lost interest and
                      practically gave it too me but I was drooling over the Super Elf. No
                      I've got one and it is a cool machine. Well actually it runs a bit hot
                      but it is great. I think even today 25 years later it makes a great
                      learning tool.

                      And thanks Paul for the offer of materials for those 1802 boards.
                      That's a generous offer and if I had one of those boards it would be
                      really handy to have.

                      Cheers,
                      Andrew

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 7, 2005
                        Andrew Wasson wrote:
                        > Duane, I agree wholehartedly!
                        > I had an Elf II back in 1980 because a classmate lost interest and
                        > practically gave it too me but I was drooling over the Super Elf.
                        > Now I've got one and it is a cool machine. Well actually it runs a
                        > bit hot but it is great. I think even today 25 years later it makes
                        > a great learning tool.
                        >
                        > And thanks Paul for the offer of materials for those 1802 boards.
                        > That's a generous offer and if I had one of those boards it would be
                        > really handy to have.

                        I just want to chime in and say that I'm another satisfied Quest Elf
                        customer. After the toggle switch front panel of my previous homemade
                        Elf, its hex keypad and 7-segment displays were a big step forward. Yes,
                        it got hot; but I added series resistors to each of the lines to the
                        LEDs to cut the current in half. I used a BASYS/1 board for memory
                        expansion, RS-232, and a parallel port. Thanks, Paul!
                        --
                        Ilegitimi non carborundum (don't let the bastards get you down).
                        There are always a few kibitzers in the crowd; just ignore them.