Does anyone have any info on an "MDA CPU"?

  • erd_6502
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
      I was going over my 1802 collection, and ran across my "MDA CPU", an
      1802 w/1854 and 1851, with 5 sockets, one SRAM (6116), and 4 EPROMs.
      There's a picture of it here...

      http://www.decodesystems.com/help-wanted/1802-board.html

      Identifying marks on mine include an MDA logo, "MDA REV 7 CPU" on the
      back, a sticker with "C 1204 rev 8", and ROM lables like "PSM8XT
      WESTINGHOUSE 971A #1288" and "PSM8XT MR4.55-128", with dates from
      October, 1995.

      Clearly, it won't take much to reverse-engineer the 22-pin edge
      connector (especially if it's compatible with any of the existing 1802
      standards), but if anyone has info, things will go much faster.

      There are wads of jumpers on this thing, especially around the CPU,
      and next to the 28-pin ROM/RAM sockets (currently strapped for 24-pin
      parts). A jumper listing would be really nice, but a schematic would
      be better.

      Thanks for any insight,

      -ethan
    • Andrew Wasson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
        You know I almost picked one of those up off of EBay 2 weeks ago from
        a fellow in England. It was advertised as a controller of some sort
        but I can't remember much more. Shipping would have been troublesome
        so I chose not to get it.

        I thought I had a link saved for it but I don't.

        The fellow who had it listed said that these were sold by his company
        so they could have been for alarm systems or some other sort of
        industrial control.

        Andrew

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "erd_6502" <erd_6502@y...> wrote:

        > I was going over my 1802 collection, and ran across my "MDA CPU", an
        > 1802 w/1854 and 1851, with 5 sockets, one SRAM (6116), and 4 EPROMs.
        > There's a picture of it here...
        >
        > http://www.decodesystems.com/help-wanted/1802-board.html
        >
        > Identifying marks on mine include an MDA logo, "MDA REV 7 CPU" on the
        > back, a sticker with "C 1204 rev 8", and ROM lables like "PSM8XT
        > WESTINGHOUSE 971A #1288" and "PSM8XT MR4.55-128", with dates from
        > October, 1995.
        >
        > Clearly, it won't take much to reverse-engineer the 22-pin edge
        > connector (especially if it's compatible with any of the existing 1802
        > standards), but if anyone has info, things will go much faster.
        >
        > There are wads of jumpers on this thing, especially around the CPU,
        > and next to the 28-pin ROM/RAM sockets (currently strapped for 24-pin
        > parts). A jumper listing would be really nice, but a schematic would
        > be better.
        >
        > Thanks for any insight,
        >
        > -ethan
      • J.C. Wren
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
          I have three of the boards Andrew is talking about, and they're not
          the same. He's selling the RCA CDP18S603A boards. I got raped on the
          shipping. I won a board for $1.83 USD, offered the same for two more,
          plus shipping. Ended up costing me $63 for 3 boards after shipping and
          "handling" (which is a load of crap). I haven't done anything with
          them, however.

          --jc

          Andrew Wasson wrote:

          > You know I almost picked one of those up off of EBay 2 weeks ago from
          > a fellow in England. It was advertised as a controller of some sort
          > but I can't remember much more. Shipping would have been troublesome
          > so I chose not to get it.
          >
          > I thought I had a link saved for it but I don't.
          >
          > The fellow who had it listed said that these were sold by his company
          > so they could have been for alarm systems or some other sort of
          > industrial control.
          >
          > Andrew
          >

          > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "erd_6502" <erd_6502@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I was going over my 1802 collection, and ran across my "MDA CPU", an
          > > 1802 w/1854 and 1851, with 5 sockets, one SRAM (6116), and 4 EPROMs.
          > > There's a picture of it here...
          > >
          > > http://www.decodesystems.com/help-wanted/1802-board.html
          > >
          > > Identifying marks on mine include an MDA logo, "MDA REV 7 CPU" on the
          > > back, a sticker with "C 1204 rev 8", and ROM lables like "PSM8XT
          > > WESTINGHOUSE 971A #1288" and "PSM8XT MR4.55-128", with dates from
          > > October, 1995.
          > >
          > > Clearly, it won't take much to reverse-engineer the 22-pin edge
          > > connector (especially if it's compatible with any of the existing 1802
          > > standards), but if anyone has info, things will go much faster.
          > >
          > > There are wads of jumpers on this thing, especially around the CPU,
          > > and next to the 28-pin ROM/RAM sockets (currently strapped for 24-pin
          > > parts). A jumper listing would be really nice, but a schematic would
          > > be better.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any insight,
          > >
          > > -ethan

        • Andrew Wasson
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
            JC is right.

            They were CDP18S603A boards. I wouldn't have remebered the model but
            it definitely tweaked my memory when I read it. ...And yes the
            shipping cost was extrodinarily high. The boards were cheap.

            Good luck,
            Andrew

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "J.C. Wren" <jcwren@j...> wrote:
            > I have three of the boards Andrew is talking about, and they're not
            > the same. He's selling the RCA CDP18S603A boards. I got raped on the
            > shipping. I won a board for $1.83 USD, offered the same for two more,
            > plus shipping. Ended up costing me $63 for 3 boards after shipping and
            > "handling" (which is a load of crap). I haven't done anything with
            > them, however.
            >
            > --jc
            >
            > Andrew Wasson wrote:
            >
            > > You know I almost picked one of those up off of EBay 2 weeks ago from
            > > a fellow in England. It was advertised as a controller of some sort
            > > but I can't remember much more. Shipping would have been troublesome
            > > so I chose not to get it.
            > >
            > > I thought I had a link saved for it but I don't.
            > >
            > > The fellow who had it listed said that these were sold by his company
            > > so they could have been for alarm systems or some other sort of
            > > industrial control.
            > >
            > > Andrew
            > >

            > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "erd_6502" <erd_6502@y...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I was going over my 1802 collection, and ran across my "MDA CPU", an
            > > > 1802 w/1854 and 1851, with 5 sockets, one SRAM (6116), and 4 EPROMs.
            > > > There's a picture of it here...
            > > >
            > > > http://www.decodesystems.com/help-wanted/1802-board.html
            > > >
            > > > Identifying marks on mine include an MDA logo, "MDA REV 7 CPU"
            on the
            > > > back, a sticker with "C 1204 rev 8", and ROM lables like "PSM8XT
            > > > WESTINGHOUSE 971A #1288" and "PSM8XT MR4.55-128", with dates from
            > > > October, 1995.
            > > >
            > > > Clearly, it won't take much to reverse-engineer the 22-pin edge
            > > > connector (especially if it's compatible with any of the
            existing 1802
            > > > standards), but if anyone has info, things will go much faster.
            > > >
            > > > There are wads of jumpers on this thing, especially around the CPU,
            > > > and next to the 28-pin ROM/RAM sockets (currently strapped for
            24-pin
            > > > parts). A jumper listing would be really nice, but a schematic
            would
            > > > be better.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for any insight,
            > > >
            > > > -ethan

          • erd_6502
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wasson" <andrew@l...> wrote:
              > JC is right.
              >
              > They were CDP18S603A boards. I wouldn't have remebered the model but
              > it definitely tweaked my memory when I read it. ...And yes the
              > shipping cost was extrodinarily high. The boards were cheap.

              Ah... well then, I guess what I have is something different. I've
              spent some time on tracing the 44-pin edge connector and have
              identified the data bus, what seems to be buffered A0-A7 (connected to
              the RAM/ROM, but not directly connected to the 1802), power, ground, Q
              and SC0/SC1... still a lot to go. For the record, what I have is
              nothing like my BASYS board. It's likely that MDA Scientific just
              made up their own standard.

              -ethan
            • Paul Messinger
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                I have the RCA book/manual on the CDP18S603 as well as the broader guide on
                that series of boards.

                The computersystems guide is CMB-250A and 16 pages with general info on the
                Microboard series.

                The CDP18S603 manual (MB-603) is 12 pages with complete detailed info
                including schematics of the board and how to set it up etc.

                Any ROM was user added.

                I can scan the manual as a large PDF to retain the "fine print".

                Both are in like new condition with no marks folds etc.

                Both of the Above seem needed (helpful?)to fully use the board with other
                RCA boards in the series etc.

                Paul

                PS found all the Quest 1802 boards and now sorting thru the misc I/C's I
                have that may be needed as unique or hard to find used on the boards.

                Still need to contact off line those who have sent me an email with an
                interest.

                Progress is slow but getting there.

                >> They were CDP18S603A boards. I wouldn't have remebered the model but
                >> it definitely tweaked my memory when I read it. ...And yes the
                >> shipping cost was extrodinarily high. The boards were cheap.

                > Ah... well then, I guess what I have is something different. I've
                > spent some time on tracing the 44-pin edge connector and have
                > identified the data bus, what seems to be buffered A0-A7 (connected to
                > the RAM/ROM, but not directly connected to the 1802), power, ground, Q
                > and SC0/SC1... still a lot to go. For the record, what I have is
                > nothing like my BASYS board. It's likely that MDA Scientific just
                > made up their own standard.
                >
                > -ethan

              • Dave Ruske
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                  On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:40 AM, Paul Messinger wrote:
                  > I have the RCA book/manual on the CDP18S603 as well as the broader
                  > guide on that series of boards. The computersystems guide is
                  > CMB-250A and 16 pages with general info on the Microboard series...
                  > I can scan the manual as a large PDF to retain the "fine print".

                  And the copyright holders of those documents would be...?
                • Paul Messinger
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                    Quest had permission at the time to reproduce any relevant info from RCA.
                    The SuperElf manual contains a lot from the 1802 microp manual.( I obtained
                    the Quest 1802 product rights when Quest folded)

                    I expected your comments BTW.

                    As the manuals came with the boards originally; I would expect its OK for
                    any owner of the board to have a copy.Thus my COMMENT/OFFER WAS ONLY
                    intended FOR THOSE WHO NOW OWN THE BOARDS.

                    General question however????

                    Your question can be interperated to mean that no one can legally copy any
                    data sheet from RCA etc,, So how does one use the product when the data
                    books are no longer in print and not on the MFGR's web site????

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                      On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Paul Messinger wrote:
                      > Your question can be interperated to mean that no one can legally
                      > copy any
                      > data sheet from RCA etc,, So how does one use the product when the
                      > data
                      > books are no longer in print and not on the MFGR's web site????

                      I don't really want to veer too far off 1802 related subjects again,
                      but I found your spin on copyright interesting after previously
                      posting about how "the copying common here and the associated web
                      sites are technically illegal" <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
                      cosmacelf/message/3675>.

                      Your question points out one problem with copyright law as it
                      currently stands, which is why some time ago I suggested group
                      members submit their comments when the Copyright Office was
                      soliciting them. Current developments may be found at <http://
                      www.copyright.gov/orphan/index.html>.

                      In the specific case of the 1800-series data sheets, popup text by
                      the datasheets on cosmacelf.com gives this publication notice, per
                      Intersil's instruction: "Permission granted by Doug Balog, Intersil
                      Legal Dept., April 3, 2001. Cosmacelf.com is not affiliated with and
                      makes no representations about their products." I thought Intersil
                      was very cool about it, actually.

                      Dave
                    • Paul Messinger
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                        And your point is??

                        Paul
                        > On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Paul Messinger wrote:
                        >> Your question can be interperated to mean that no one can legally
                        >> copy any
                        >> data sheet from RCA etc,, So how does one use the product when the
                        >> data
                        >> books are no longer in print and not on the MFGR's web site????
                        >
                        > I don't really want to veer too far off 1802 related subjects again,
                        > but I found your spin on copyright interesting after previously
                        > posting about how "the copying common here and the associated web
                        > sites are technically illegal" <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
                        > cosmacelf/message/3675>.
                        >
                        > Your question points out one problem with copyright law as it
                        > currently stands, which is why some time ago I suggested group
                        > members submit their comments when the Copyright Office was
                        > soliciting them. Current developments may be found at <http://
                        > www.copyright.gov/orphan/index.html>.
                        >
                        > In the specific case of the 1800-series data sheets, popup text by
                        > the datasheets on cosmacelf.com gives this publication notice, per
                        > Intersil's instruction: "Permission granted by Doug Balog, Intersil
                        > Legal Dept., April 3, 2001. Cosmacelf.com is not affiliated with and
                        > makes no representations about their products." I thought Intersil
                        > was very cool about it, actually.
                        >
                        > Dave

                      • Paul Messinger
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                          Spin?? I only have stated what I have been told by "legal experts" in the
                          field. My original comments were regarding Quest as MY name etc was clearly
                          on later documents etc and I have always been easy to find. The two cases
                          RCA and Quest / PHM Design copyright issues are very different in a
                          practical matter. I have no problem with copying just the behind my back
                          copying without reasonable due diligence effort to find me and get
                          permission that was irking.

                          Perhaps I have been affected by a person on another list that copied manuals
                          and passed them around and in one case sold them while they were currently
                          available but at a higher cost that people wanted to pay. Ask Microsoft what
                          they think about this approach and I agree.

                          SPIN is to me defined as (I cannot reply on a public net what I think of
                          that word in this context)

                          Clearly there are different opinions on the rules.

                          In any event I will NOT copy any of my huge collection of RCA documents on
                          the various RCA development systems and microboards (this documentation
                          would allow, in most cases, duplication of the product as S/W listings and
                          schematics are included). As that is not clearly a part of Quest its not
                          part of the closeout of my hardware and software.

                          I have neither the time or interest in finding out who has the copyright as
                          this is NOT the component division of RCA but a different division (as I
                          recall) of board level systems etc.

                          I was only trying to help but that appears not possible so "people keep
                          reverse engineering" :-(.

                          Again I feel that holders of the hardware are allowed copies of the original
                          documentation but you appear to disagree and so be it.

                          But that seems to be so common on this list as I do not recall even ONE
                          question regarding the Superelf other than recently about the key caps (this
                          after disclosing I was the designer of most of the product line of 1802's.
                          There was a question to the list on a specific RCA part # and I replied that
                          I had the data and never got any reply, so much for common courtesy.

                          I in the past I have been asked if I had old boards and then offered to
                          accept them if I shipped them at my cost and free also. I have been offered
                          10% of what items would sell on EBay. Under those conditions I would rather
                          send it to the dump and so stated a short time ago.

                          Paul

                          > On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Paul Messinger wrote:
                          >> Your question can be interperated to mean that no one can legally
                          >> copy any
                          >> data sheet from RCA etc,, So how does one use the product when the
                          >> data
                          >> books are no longer in print and not on the MFGR's web site????
                          >
                          > I don't really want to veer too far off 1802 related subjects again,
                          > but I found your spin on copyright interesting after previously
                          > posting about how "the copying common here and the associated web
                          > sites are technically illegal" <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
                          > cosmacelf/message/3675>.
                          >
                          > Your question points out one problem with copyright law as it
                          > currently stands, which is why some time ago I suggested group
                          > members submit their comments when the Copyright Office was
                          > soliciting them. Current developments may be found at <http://
                          > www.copyright.gov/orphan/index.html>.
                          >
                          > In the specific case of the 1800-series data sheets, popup text by
                          > the datasheets on cosmacelf.com gives this publication notice, per
                          > Intersil's instruction: "Permission granted by Doug Balog, Intersil
                          > Legal Dept., April 3, 2001. Cosmacelf.com is not affiliated with and
                          > makes no representations about their products." I thought Intersil
                          > was very cool about it, actually.
                          >
                          > Dave

                        • duanebenson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                            Stepping aside from the copyright issues, I do want to put in
                            a "thank you." I bought and built my Super Elf and Super Expansion
                            back in '79 or '80. It was a great learning tool and a lot of fun.
                            The amount of education I got from the thing far, far exceeded the
                            cost.

                            The Super Elf still works - other than a little key bounce issue. I
                            don't know about the 4K expansion board because the EPROM has long
                            since lost its M and I misplaced the expansion docs somewhere. I
                            still have a few programs that were painstakingly hand entered and
                            saved on cassette tape, though I'm not sure I still have a cassette
                            player anywhere.

                            My ten-year-old kid is even willing to take a break from his 2GHz,
                            512MByte beast to see what it was like in the old days.

                            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Messinger" <paulm@o...>
                            wrote:
                            > And your point is??
                            >
                            > Paul

                          • Andrew Wasson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 6, 2005
                              Duane,
                              I agree wholehartedly!

                              I had an Elf II back in 1980 because a classmate lost interest and
                              practically gave it too me but I was drooling over the Super Elf. No
                              I've got one and it is a cool machine. Well actually it runs a bit hot
                              but it is great. I think even today 25 years later it makes a great
                              learning tool.

                              And thanks Paul for the offer of materials for those 1802 boards.
                              That's a generous offer and if I had one of those boards it would be
                              really handy to have.

                              Cheers,
                              Andrew

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 7, 2005
                                Andrew Wasson wrote:
                                > Duane, I agree wholehartedly!
                                > I had an Elf II back in 1980 because a classmate lost interest and
                                > practically gave it too me but I was drooling over the Super Elf.
                                > Now I've got one and it is a cool machine. Well actually it runs a
                                > bit hot but it is great. I think even today 25 years later it makes
                                > a great learning tool.
                                >
                                > And thanks Paul for the offer of materials for those 1802 boards.
                                > That's a generous offer and if I had one of those boards it would be
                                > really handy to have.

                                I just want to chime in and say that I'm another satisfied Quest Elf
                                customer. After the toggle switch front panel of my previous homemade
                                Elf, its hex keypad and 7-segment displays were a big step forward. Yes,
                                it got hot; but I added series resistors to each of the lines to the
                                LEDs to cut the current in half. I used a BASYS/1 board for memory
                                expansion, RS-232, and a parallel port. Thanks, Paul!
                                --
                                Ilegitimi non carborundum (don't let the bastards get you down).
                                There are always a few kibitzers in the crowd; just ignore them.