XS and XR

  • rileym65
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2005
      To anybody who is interested. I have posted on the software page of
      my website XS (XModem Sender) and XR (XModem Receiver). these 2
      programs make it easier to get files on/off Elf/OS systems. These 2
      programs are a bit experimental right now,,,so use with care.

      I am also working on a new package format so that software packages
      for Elf/OS can be downloaded to Elf/OS systems over the serial line
      and then installed, this will make it no longer necessary to build
      install ROMs for additional software. I will post this software when
      it is ready.

      Mike
    • Steve Brune
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 13, 2005
        Mike,

        How do you use the XR and XS programs? Please take a minute to post
        the process we need to follow to transfer files.

        Steve

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > To anybody who is interested. I have posted on the software page of
        > my website XS (XModem Sender) and XR (XModem Receiver). these 2
        > programs make it easier to get files on/off Elf/OS systems. These 2
        > programs are a bit experimental right now,,,so use with care.
        >
        > I am also working on a new package format so that software packages
        > for Elf/OS can be downloaded to Elf/OS systems over the serial line
        > and then installed, this will make it no longer necessary to build
        > install ROMs for additional software. I will post this software when
        > it is ready.
        >
        > Mike
      • rileym65
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 14, 2005
          XR is used to receive files from a pc to the Elf/OS system, and would
          be used as such:

          XR filename

          upon issuing this command, XR will start sending codes back to the pc
          side to start the xmodem transfer. Now from your terminal program on
          the pc, use xmodem transfer to send the file

          XS is used to send a file from the Elf/OS system to your pc and would
          be started as:

          XS filename

          At this time, your Elf will be waiting for the xmodem start codes from
          your pc, so from your terminal program you would now do an xmodem
          receive operation.

          Mike

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Brune" <s_brune@h...> wrote:
          > Mike,
          >
          > How do you use the XR and XS programs? Please take a minute to post
          > the process we need to follow to transfer files.
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > To anybody who is interested. I have posted on the software page of
          > > my website XS (XModem Sender) and XR (XModem Receiver). these 2
          > > programs make it easier to get files on/off Elf/OS systems. These 2
          > > programs are a bit experimental right now,,,so use with care.
          > >
          > > I am also working on a new package format so that software packages
          > > for Elf/OS can be downloaded to Elf/OS systems over the serial line
          > > and then installed, this will make it no longer necessary to build
          > > install ROMs for additional software. I will post this software when
          > > it is ready.
          > >
          > > Mike
        • Steve Brune
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 14, 2005
            Thanks I thought I tried using XR like this and it did not work. I
            will try again tonight and see what happens.

            I ran into some problems with your text editor when I used the 'B'
            command to move to the bottom of the buffer. Some garbage lines ended
            up as part of my file and I could not get rid of them. When I tried
            to delete the extra lines the system froze. After a reboot I ended up
            with even more garbage at the end of my file. Do you think I may have
            overrunn the end of the buffer somehow?

            Another problem I had was with accidentaly using the same name of a
            directory as I used for a file in the same directory. The data for
            the file was recorded to the disk (verified by HEXDUMP) but the name
            kept the trailing '/'. The sub-directory contents was not accessable
            anymore. I could not delete the new file using DEL (file not found
            error). Nor could I delete the new file using the RMDIR command (file
            not found error). The CHDIR command could still be used on the new
            file as if it was still a directory. I ended up using SEDIT to
            manually remove the file directory entry.

            I think I need to be more careful when I fat-finger in my programs.

          • rileym65
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 16, 2005
              Steve,
              did you get the XS to work?? on the directory issue, as far as
              Elf/OS is concerned there is no difference between directories and
              normal files, except that directories have a flag set that the
              directory apis use to make sure it is working on directories. In fact
              DIR does nothing but open the directory file and read its contents. i
              suppose i could add a flag to o_open that would prevent opening a
              directory unless the calling program provided the flag...if these
              seems good to people, i will put this into the next release...
              Interesting problem on the EDIT. How big a file were you working
              with...the buffer is quite large so i doubt you hit the end of
              it...more likely there is some bug in EDIT,,i will take a look at it
              and see if i can duplicate your error.

            • Steve Brune
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 16, 2005
                I've never tried XS.

                I tried XR again and could not get it to work.

                I'm curious about how the code was designed to work. I noticed that
                O_READ is called when incoming characters are expected from the PC. I
                thought this function was used to read data from the CF card.

                How does the <NAK> character sent at the begining of the program
                start the XMODEM transfer? If I start the transfer in the terminal
                program first I can't start XR because serial port is in use waiting
                for <NAK>. If I start XR first then it sends <NAK>, writes a 0 length
                file and returns to the OS before I can start the XMODEM transfer on
                the PC.

              • Steve Brune
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 16, 2005
                  --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Steve,
                  > did you get the XS to work?? on the directory issue, as far as
                  Whoops! I forgot to answer your question about the EDIT program.

                  I was trying to use the onboard assembler to make a working copy of
                  XR to use to transfer files with. The file length is roughly as long
                  as the XR.ASM progam for complilation on the PC. The problem started
                  when I rentered the EDIT program to fix errors in my file. I inserted
                  some lines and killed some other lines. Then I used the 'B' command
                  to move to the bottom of the buffer because it was closest to the
                  next set of edits I needed to perfom. That is when I noticed extra
                  information was appended to the end of my file. I never could get rid
                  of it so I ended up erasing the file.

                  I ended up using the monitor's HEX receiving ability to load the
                  program to memory then starting the OS and saving the program
                  from memory to the CF disk. Next I used HEXDUMP to verify that I
                  didn't overwrite any of the XR program during this process.

                  Using EDIT reminds me of editing on my old CP/M H8 machine using
                  EDLIN. I bought a copy of WordStar as soon as I could afford it
                  ($495!!) so I could get "WYSIWUG" technology and make the editing
                  process easier.

                • Steve Brune
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 16, 2005
> [...]

                    > > > XR is used to receive files from a pc to the Elf/OS system, and
                    > > would
                    > > > be used as such:
                    > > >
                    > > > XR filename
                    > > >
                    > > > upon issuing this command, XR will start sending codes back to
                    the
                    > > pc
                    > > > side to start the xmodem transfer. Now from your terminal
                    program
                    > > on
                    > > > the pc, use xmodem transfer to send the file
                    > > >
                    > > > XS is used to send a file from the Elf/OS system to your pc and
                    > > would
                    > > > be started as:
                    > > >
                    > > > XS filename
                    > > >
                    > > > At this time, your Elf will be waiting for the xmodem start
                    codes
                    > > from
                    > > > your pc, so from your terminal program you would now do an

                  • rileym65
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 16, 2005
                      Steve,
                      yep,,,XR is wong,,,o_read is the wrong function, it should have been
                      o_readkey....f_read would have worked tho....I will have to fix that
                      on my site.....ooooooooooooooppppppppppppppsssssssssssssssssss :) :)

                    • rileym65
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 16, 2005
                        Steve,
                        well,,,xr is certainly not long enough to cause a buffer
                        problem,,,so there is probably a bug in there :( :( :( i will have to
                        beat up on the editor and see if i can find it....
                        Yeah,,,EDIT is patterned kind like other command line editors i have
                        used long ago....
                        One of these days, i might try to write a full screen editor using
                        the vt100 codes,,,,

                      • Steve Brune
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 17, 2005
                          Mike,

                          I reassembled the XR program using O_READKEY. I neglected to mention
                          before that the description I gave before (below) is what I was seeing
                          when I used it. The problem is that XR is not waiting until I set up
                          the transfer on the PC side if I start it first. If I try to start the
                          transfer on the PC side first then I can't start XR since the console
                          port is tied up.

                          Steve

                          P.S. Thanks for providing a fun OS for the 1802 to play with.

                          >> How does the <NAK> character sent at the begining of the program
                          >> start the XMODEM transfer? If I start the transfer in the terminal
                          >> program first I can't start XR because serial port is in use
                          >> waiting for <NAK>. If I start XR first then it sends <NAK>, writes
                          >> a 0 length file and returns to the OS before I can start the XMODEM
                          >> transfer on the PC.
                        • rileym65
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 17, 2005
                            Steve,
                            It should not be a problem XR to send the NAKs before initiating the
                            transfer on the PC side,,,the NAKs should be for the most part ignored
                            by the terminal program, or just appear as odd characters. XR
                            continually sends NAKs until the sending side finally acknowldedges
                            the start....so the proper procedure would be to start XR and the Elf,
                            and then tell your terminal program to do an xmodem send...
                            Mike

                            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Brune" <s_brune@h...> wrote:
                            > Mike,
                            >
                            > I reassembled the XR program using O_READKEY. I neglected to mention
                            > before that the description I gave before (below) is what I was seeing
                            > when I used it. The problem is that XR is not waiting until I set up
                            > the transfer on the PC side if I start it first. If I try to start the
                            > transfer on the PC side first then I can't start XR since the console
                            > port is tied up.
                            >
                            > Steve
                            >
                            > P.S. Thanks for providing a fun OS for the 1802 to play with.
                            >
                            > >> How does the <NAK> character sent at the begining of the program
                            > >> start the XMODEM transfer? If I start the transfer in the terminal
                            > >> program first I can't start XR because serial port is in use
                            > >> waiting for <NAK>. If I start XR first then it sends <NAK>, writes
                            > >> a 0 length file and returns to the OS before I can start the XMODEM
                            > >> transfer on the PC.
                          • rileym65
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 17, 2005
                              Steve,
                              Here is a brief rundown on how the xmodem protocol works. using RX
                              as the receving end and TX as the sending end:

                              RX: NAK (it will keep sending these until)
                              TX: STX 01 FE (128 data bytes) checksum (this is the first block)
                              RX: ACK (if no checksum error occurred) or
                              RX: NAK (if checksum error occurred, in which case block is resent)
                              TX: STX 02 FD ( this is now the 2nd block, which is similar in format
                              to the first, the same ACK/NAK is required from the RX after each block
                              RX: ACK or NAK
                              TX: EOT (signal end of file)
                              RX: ACK (acknowledge completion)

                              Mike

                              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Brune" <s_brune@h...> wrote:
                              > Mike,
                              >
                              > I reassembled the XR program using O_READKEY. I neglected to mention
                              > before that the description I gave before (below) is what I was seeing
                              > when I used it. The problem is that XR is not waiting until I set up
                              > the transfer on the PC side if I start it first. If I try to start the
                              > transfer on the PC side first then I can't start XR since the console
                              > port is tied up.
                              >
                              > Steve
                              >
                              > P.S. Thanks for providing a fun OS for the 1802 to play with.
                              >
                              > >> How does the <NAK> character sent at the begining of the program
                              > >> start the XMODEM transfer? If I start the transfer in the terminal
                              > >> program first I can't start XR because serial port is in use
                              > >> waiting for <NAK>. If I start XR first then it sends <NAK>, writes
                              > >> a 0 length file and returns to the OS before I can start the XMODEM
                              > >> transfer on the PC.
                            • Steve Brune
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 17, 2005
                                Mike,

                                I think it's SOH for 128 byte blocks and STX for 1K byte blocks.

                              • Steve Brune
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 17, 2005
                                  Mike,

                                  That functionality must not be in the version that I copied from your
                                  site. As near as I can figure NAK is only sent once.

                                  Modified fragment of code from XR version I'm looking at:

                                  ' opened: ldi high block ; get address of data block
                                  ' phi r9
                                  ' ldi low block ; need to set starting block number
                                  ' plo r9
                                  ' ldi 1
                                  ' str r9
                                  ' ldi 15h ; need to send NAK to start
                                  ' sep scall
                                  ' dw o_type
                                  ' filelp: sep scall ; read a block
                                  ' dw readblk
                                  ' bdf filedn ; jump if done
                                  ' ldi high rxbuffer ; point to buffer
                                  ' phi rf
                                  ' ldi low rxbuffer
                                  ' plo rf
                                  ' sep scall ; write buffer to file
                                  ' dw o_write
                                  ' ldi 6h ; send an ACK
                                  ' sep scall
                                  ' dw o_type
                                  ' br filelp ; loop back for more
                                  ' filedn: sep scall ; close file
                                  ' dw o_close
                                  ' ldi 6h ; acknowledge end of transmission
                                  ' sep scall
                                  ' dw o_type
                                  ' lbr o_wrmboot ; and return to os

                                  Steve

                                  --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                  > Steve,
                                  > It should not be a problem XR to send the NAKs before initiating
                                  the
                                  > transfer on the PC side,,,the NAKs should be for the most part
                                  ignored
                                  > by the terminal program, or just appear as odd characters. XR
                                  > continually sends NAKs until the sending side finally acknowldedges
                                  > the start....so the proper procedure would be to start XR and the
                                  Elf,
                                  > and then tell your terminal program to do an xmodem send...
                                  > Mike
                                  >
                                  > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Brune" <s_brune@h...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > > Mike,
                                  > >
                                  > > I reassembled the XR program using O_READKEY. I neglected to
                                  mention
                                  > > before that the description I gave before (below) is what I was
                                  seeing
                                  > > when I used it. The problem is that XR is not waiting until I set
                                  up
                                  > > the transfer on the PC side if I start it first. If I try to
                                  start the
                                  > > transfer on the PC side first then I can't start XR since the
                                  console
                                  > > port is tied up.
                                  > >
                                  > > Steve
                                  > >
                                  > > P.S. Thanks for providing a fun OS for the 1802 to play with.

                                  XMODEM
                                • rileym65
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 17, 2005
                                    Steve,
                                    yep, that is correct...
                                    Mike

                                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Brune" <s_brune@h...> wrote:
                                    > Mike,
                                    >
                                    > I think it's SOH for 128 byte blocks and STX for 1K byte blocks.
                                    >
                                    > Steve
                                    >
                                    > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                    > > Steve,
                                    > > Here is a brief rundown on how the xmodem protocol works. using RX
                                    > > as the receving end and TX as the sending end:
                                    > >
                                    > > RX: NAK (it will keep sending these until)
                                    > > TX: STX 01 FE (128 data bytes) checksum (this is the first block)
                                    > > RX: ACK (if no checksum error occurred) or
                                    > > RX: NAK (if checksum error occurred, in which case block is
                                    > resent)
                                    > > TX: STX 02 FD ( this is now the 2nd block, which is similar in
                                    > format
                                    > > to the first, the same ACK/NAK is required from the RX after each
                                    > block
                                    > > RX: ACK or NAK
                                    > > TX: EOT (signal end of file)
                                    > > RX: ACK (acknowledge completion)
                                    > >
                                    > > Mike
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Brune" <s_brune@h...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > > Mike,
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I reassembled the XR program using O_READKEY. I neglected to
                                    > mention
                                    > > > before that the description I gave before (below) is what I was
                                    > seeing
                                    > > > when I used it. The problem is that XR is not waiting until I set
                                    > up
                                    > > > the transfer on the PC side if I start it first. If I try to
                                    > start the
                                    > > > transfer on the PC side first then I can't start XR since the
                                    > console
                                    > > > port is tied up.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Steve
                                    > > >
                                    > > > P.S. Thanks for providing a fun OS for the 1802 to play with.

                                    > program
                                    > terminal
                                    > writes
                                    > XMODEM
                                  • rileym65
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 17, 2005
                                      Steve,
                                      i went back and looked at it again ,,, and yep, it is only sending
                                      once,,,now that i think back to it, the problem was that f_read (or
                                      o_readkey) is blocking, and will never timeout, so while waiting for a
                                      block, it is incapable of sending another NAK, and that is certainly
                                      a problem...probably the easiest short term fix for this would be to
                                      put a delay (30 seconds or so) after program startup and before the
                                      NAK is sent, thereby granting enough time to start the xmodem transfer
                                      on the sending side....in the longer term, i will need to grab the
                                      serial code from the bios and make a version of it that will timeout
                                      and add it to the XR program. let me know if you need help adding the
                                      delay...and in the meantime i will go and take a look at the serial
                                      code...

                                    • J.C. Wren
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 17, 2005
                                        Wouldn't the easier fix be to call a non-blocking BIOS function that
                                        checks if a character is ready, only read a character if one is present,
                                        and put a short timer around that? I do this sort of thing all the time
                                        in bootloaders for Atmel and PIC (gag...) parts.

                                        --jc

                                      • rileym65
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 17, 2005
                                          There is a function in the bios to see if a character is ready, but
                                          depending on the baud rate, you do run into skew problems depending on
                                          where in the start bit you end up calling the function and if you can
                                          get back into the serial receive before the end of the start bit. i
                                          could try using this and we can give it a try..
                                          Mike

                                        • Robert Armstrong
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 17, 2005
                                            >There is a function in the bios to see if a character is ready, but
                                            depending on the baud
                                            > rate, you do run into skew problems depending on where in the start bit
                                            you end up calling
                                            > the function and if you can get back into the serial receive before the
                                            end of the start
                                            > bit.

                                            Of course, if you have the Disk/UART/RTC board, then there's no problem
                                            :-)

                                            And if you have a 16650 UART one could, with a little more software, even
                                            enable the on chip FIFO.

                                            Bob