Expanding a Quest Super Elf

  • awasson2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
      Hi there,
      I've had a bunch of 1802 projects over the years and I must admit I
      have been much better at building them than coding Assembler. I lost
      my Elf II and a homebrew version during a move in the mid 80's but
      I've still got a couple of 1802s and some old 2101 ram left over.

      Recently I acquired a Quest Super Elf rev 4 for restoration. It's
      missing some of the FND500 7-seg displays and the 1861 chip but it has
      the high and low address display options and other than some funky
      soldering it seems to work fine.

      I'm going to build a nice oak case for it like the one you could buy
      from Quest for about $25 back in 1978 and I'd like to do some
      expansion as well which brings me to the point of this post.

      I see that Al Winfrey and Mike Riley along with Ken Rother have done
      some truly amazing expansion with their versions of the Elf. I wonder,
      has anyone attempted to expand a vintage ELf to use new Ram, PC Serial
      Ports and Flash cards or hard drives?

      I'd really like to try out Mikes Elf/OS and start using my PC and
      monitor to run the Elf.

      Thanks,
      Andrew
    • Al Winfrey
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hi Andrew!

        The list is quiet right now but you might check the group files
        section. Under "Member-AA3NM" there is a schematic for a memory and
        I/O interface "Memory ExpansionV3.jpg" that was uploaded by Steve
        Gemeny. He has done a lot of work with Super Elfs and this interface
        may have been adapted for that use with his own SE or it may not.
        There are several people on the list with Super Elfs and I wish that
        more of them would post pictures and ideas on the group facilities.

        Something that would help is if the group moderator were to set up a
        pole to find out how many of the various vintage Elfs are around.
        Maybe a contact list of who works with what kept in the files section?
        We have several folks with good engineering skills in addition to
        hackers (the old friendly hardware-wiring type!) like myself.

        I have two Super Elfs myself (one is missing a couple of key
        switches) that I'd like to expand but not modify. By using an
        expansion board that plugs into one of the SE's on-board connectors.
        If it's designed right then the Super's onboard memory could be left
        intact as well as it's 32-byte prom. I don't like modifying vintage
        stuff too much. That's on my hobby "to do list" but this is supposed
        to be our "busy season" here at the power company. So far we have
        been lucky.

        In the mean time I hope that we hear from someone who has already
        built a nice Super Elf interface.

        al winfrey
        New Palestine, IN, USA

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "awasson2001" <andrew@l...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        > I've had a bunch of 1802 projects over the years and I must admit I
        > have been much better at building them than coding Assembler. I lost
        > my Elf II and a homebrew version during a move in the mid 80's but
        > I've still got a couple of 1802s and some old 2101 ram left over.
        >
        > Recently I acquired a Quest Super Elf rev 4 for restoration. It's
        > missing some of the FND500 7-seg displays and the 1861 chip but it
        has
        > the high and low address display options and other than some funky
        > soldering it seems to work fine.
        >
        > I'm going to build a nice oak case for it like the one you could buy
        > from Quest for about $25 back in 1978 and I'd like to do some
        > expansion as well which brings me to the point of this post.
        >
        > I see that Al Winfrey and Mike Riley along with Ken Rother have done
        > some truly amazing expansion with their versions of the Elf. I
        wonder,
        > has anyone attempted to expand a vintage ELf to use new Ram, PC
        Serial
        > Ports and Flash cards or hard drives?
        >
        > I'd really like to try out Mikes Elf/OS and start using my PC and
        > monitor to run the Elf.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Andrew
      • awasson2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
          Thanks Al,
          I downloaded the jpg and printed it out.

          This is exactly what I'm looking for. The SE I picked up is in pretty
          good shape and I want to keep it pretty well stock and use one of the
          edge connectors to run a ribbon to my own expansion card for more Ram,
          video, serial, connector, etc...

          I've added an picture of the Super Elf in the Photos section under
          Andrew's. It's pretty large at full size and you can see that the
          IN4001 in series for the power supply have been replaced by a previous
          owner and are a good 1/4 inch off the board. For some reason they run
          super hot and I don't recall my Elf II running hot at all but that was
          over 20 years ago so it's hard to remember. Everything ran hot back then.

          I'll add more pics and the project continues.

          Thanks,
          Andrew