RE: [cosmacelf] Re: Announcing the Disk/UART/RTC/RTC Expansion Board for the Elf 2000

  • Robert Armstrong
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
      Actually the CF interface uses what's called "the True IDE" mode of the CF
      cards. As the name implies, a CF card can emulate a real IDE drive with no
      extra hardware.

      A USB interface for the Elf would be cool, but being a USB master requires
      quite a bit of software, doesn't it?

      Bob

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@j...> wrote:

        > Actually the CF interface uses what's called "the True IDE" mode
        of the CF
        > cards. As the name implies, a CF card can emulate a real IDE drive
        with no
        > extra hardware.
        >
        > A USB interface for the Elf would be cool, but being a USB master
        requires
        > quite a bit of software, doesn't it?
        >
        > Bob

        <snip>

        In linux, the usb kernel core consists of several parts; a usbcore
        module, and a module for the uhci, ohci, and ehci controllers. The
        high speed ehci controller will probably not be used here, and in my
        experience the ohci controller works much better than the uhci. That
        should be available from places like Digikey or Jameco, but I haven't
        checked yet. There is a lot of overhead in linux that a simple 8 bit
        system won't need. Individual drivers would then be written for a
        specific device, but I would think that there would be only a few
        devices for this system. A simple usb mass storage driver should allow
        the use of the usb pen drives (powered by the Elf, no need for an
        external supply as you probably need for IDE) as well as usb-to-ide
        converters, allowing the use of an ide drive. I plan to look into this
        anyway, as I also have an Apple II plus using the 6502, with a Z80
        plugin card, and a S-100, 8080 system that I could use a usb interface
        on as well.

        I have developed a linux kernel driver for a simple camera, as
        well as software for it that runs from user space. If I run into
        problems, the guys on the usb kernel list would probably be helpful;
        they usually are.

        Kevin

        PS I am still interested in helping with the IDE/RTC/CF card, with or
        without usb.
      • Patrick Draper
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
          On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 02:52:08PM -0800, Robert Armstrong wrote:
          > A USB interface for the Elf would be cool, but being a USB master requires
          > quite a bit of software, doesn't it?

          Atmel makes microcontrollers that are integrated with USB controllers,
          and they also have some software too. I'm thinking that such a device
          could be used. I'm thinking of the AT76C712 device. But I'm not a
          designer, so I have no idea if this is a wild suggestion or not.

          --
          Patrick Draper |Don't |sig3@...
          Austin, Texas |Fear |Father Order runs at a