Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Does anybody have any 1861 chips for sale or trade?

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
      I don't know about the V1, But My Elf II came with a TA10171X. and the
      assemble instructions say 1861 (could be marked TA10171)

      Richard

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "wa9hsl" <wa9hsl@a...> wrote:

        > The first TA10171V1 chips that I saw came from RCA Studio II
        > video games. I have two of the chips that were removed from
        > the Studio II games but sorry, they aren't for sale. I
        > really wish I had one of the old Studio II games back along with
        > some catridges but that's hind-sight for you!

        I have the Studio II (free from a friend), and a few carts ($5 each
        at the Dayton Hamfest)... what I wish I had is the fabled
        instructions I've heard about to build a "computer cartridge" that
        is supposed to turn the Studio II into an Elf-like computer. I don't
        know much about it, but would love to see the plans.

        -ethan
      • Alfred R. Winfrey
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
          Hi Ethan!

          The simple games on the Studio II were fun even though the Atari games
          of that time period were more elaborate and had better resolution.
          There were rumors about an Elf simulation on the Studio II for a while
          but I never saw an actual writeup.

          One short fall with using the Studio II as an Elf might be the limited
          pinouts available on the cartridge connector. For example, it's
          unclear to me if they brought out the N lines and other timing signals
          and whether or not the Studio II internal decoding can be temporarily
          suspended via a line from the cartridge connector.

          Of course one could make use of the video display to simulate the
          led's and switches for I/O but it would still not be as versatile as a
          wire-wrap Elf (without making hardware modifications to the Studio II
          itself).

          al

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
            Alfred R. Winfrey wrote:
            > One shortfall with using the Studio II as an Elf might be the
            > limited pinouts available on the cartridge connector...
            > Of course, one could make use of the video display to simulate
            > the LEDs and switches for I/O but it would still not be as
            > versatile as a wire-wrap Elf

            But, it could certainly emulate the RCA VIP. It used its 1861 video and
            hex keypad to display hex addresses and data, examine and change memory,
            run programs, etc. It's actually easier to use for this than the ELF.

            For I/O, I suppose the way to do it is to memory-map a few memory
            locations, and use them as your I/O ports. This way, you won't need
            access to any lines not already routed to the cartridge connector.
            has!" -- Margaret Mead
            --
            Lee A. Hart 814 8th Ave N Sartell MN 56377 leeahart_at_earthlink.net
          • crenshrd
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Alfred R. Winfrey" <wa9hsl@a...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Ethan!
              >
              > The simple games on the Studio II were fun even though the Atari
              games
              > of that time period were more elaborate and had better resolution.
              > There were rumors about an Elf simulation on the Studio II for a
              while
              > but I never saw an actual writeup.
              >
              > One short fall with using the Studio II as an Elf might be the
              limited
              > pinouts available on the cartridge connector. For example, it's
              > unclear to me if they brought out the N lines and other timing
              signals
              > and whether or not the Studio II internal decoding can be
              temporarily
              > suspended via a line from the cartridge connector.
              >
              > Of course one could make use of the video display to simulate the
              > led's and switches for I/O but it would still not be as versatile
              as a
              > wire-wrap Elf (without making hardware modifications to the Studio
              II
              > itself).
              >
              > al
              >

              > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "erd_6502" <erd_6502@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "wa9hsl" <wa9hsl@a...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > The first TA10171V1 chips that I saw came from RCA Studio II
              > > > video games. I have two of the chips that were removed from
              > > > the Studio II games but sorry, they aren't for sale. I
              > > > really wish I had one of the old Studio II games back along with
              > > > some catridges but that's hind-sight for you!
              > >
              > > I have the Studio II (free from a friend), and a few carts ($5
              each
              > > at the Dayton Hamfest)... what I wish I had is the fabled
              > > instructions I've heard about to build a "computer cartridge" that
              > > is supposed to turn the Studio II into an Elf-like computer. I
              don't
              > > know much about it, but would love to see the plans.
              > >
              > > -ethan

              Ethan

              You might take a look at this site for Studio II cartridge info and
              other goodies.

              Rick
            • erd_6502
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2004
                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "crenshrd" <crenshaw@m...> wrote:
                > You might take a look at this site for Studio II cartridge info and
                > other goodies.

                Rick,

                I didn't detect a URL in your posting... what Studio II site?

                -ethan