Re: [cosmacelf] Re: RF Modulator

  • Dave Ruske
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 14, 2002
      Will, if you're interested in sharing your board layout and related notes,
      I'd be happy to either host the information on cosmacelf.com or provide a
      link to a site of your choosing.

      Dave

      At 08:16 PM 8/14/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      >I did a new layout such that I could fit the
      >new 'bubble' type hex keypad, different display and DC/DC converter
      >on it, plus I did not have an accurate enough document to copy the
      >original board from.
    • jkearneyma
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 14, 2002
        --- In cosmacelf@y..., "waters1802" <engineer1@s...> wrote:
        > Jim, thanks. I did a new layout such that I could fit the
        > new 'bubble' type hex keypad, different display and DC/DC converter
        > on it, plus I did not have an accurate enough document to copy the
        > original board from. Also there was the cost issue, The Netronics
        > ELF-II is build on a large board. This board is about half the
        > size. My guess is that it would of cost $150/per board, and as it
        is
        > I spent about $160 for 2 boards ($80/Board).

        Sounds nice. You might want to take a look at www.4pcb.com. They
        have an incredible deal - 3+ boards up to 10x15 with mask and legend
        for $33 ea. Very good quality, too.

        > It has been so long since I have seen an original ELF II I dont
        > remember what style the keycaps are, but I would guess it will be
        > hard to find replacements.

        They are standard keyswitch keycaps, flat with the simple legend.
        It's relatively easy to find sloped keycaps with standard keyboard
        legends, but I have no idea where to get these off the shelf or
        (inexpensively) engraved.

        The ELF II I have was built rather poorly in other respects too; I'm
        seriously considering stripping all the parts and rebuilding it,
        despite the 'authenticity issues'.

        Jim
      • waters1802
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
          --- In cosmacelf@y..., jkearneyma <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > --- In cosmacelf@y..., "waters1802" <engineer1@s...> wrote:
          > > Jim, thanks. I did a new layout such that I could fit the
          > > new 'bubble' type hex keypad, different display and DC/DC
          converter
          > > on it, plus I did not have an accurate enough document to copy
          the
          > > original board from. Also there was the cost issue, The
          Netronics
          > > ELF-II is build on a large board. This board is about half the
          > > size. My guess is that it would of cost $150/per board, and as
          it
          > is
          > > I spent about $160 for 2 boards ($80/Board).
          >
          > Sounds nice. You might want to take a look at www.4pcb.com. They
          > have an incredible deal - 3+ boards up to 10x15 with mask and
          legend
          > for $33 ea. Very good quality, too.
          >
          > > It has been so long since I have seen an original ELF II I dont
          > > remember what style the keycaps are, but I would guess it will be
          > > hard to find replacements.
          >
          > They are standard keyswitch keycaps, flat with the simple legend.
          > It's relatively easy to find sloped keycaps with standard keyboard
          > legends, but I have no idea where to get these off the shelf or
          > (inexpensively) engraved.
          >
          > The ELF II I have was built rather poorly in other respects too;
          I'm
          > seriously considering stripping all the parts and rebuilding it,
          > despite the 'authenticity issues'.
          >
          > Jim

          Jim, I did this project using ExpressPCB. They sound to be more
          expensive, but they provide the layout software, and when ready, the
          order is done over the internet, and 2 days later the boards show
          up. Very nice operation... I have used this service many times and
          have never had an issue. Good luck at the key cap search.
        • jkearneyma
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
            --- In cosmacelf@y..., "waters1802" <engineer1@s...> wrote:
            > Jim, I did this project using ExpressPCB. They sound to be more
            > expensive, but they provide the layout software, and when ready,
            the
            > order is done over the internet, and 2 days later the boards show
            > up. Very nice operation... I have used this service many times
            and
            > have never had an issue. Good luck at the key cap search.

            I've used them for a few boards, especially their miniboard deal is
            good for prototyping and adapters and suchlike. But their layout
            package is rather weak, and has no schematic capture or autorouting
            capabilities. I ended up buying the 'Non-Profit' version of Eagle
            (http://www.cadsoftusa.com). It's a lot more powerful, and paid for
            itself rather quickly.

            As for the keycaps, I've located a few engravers that do them. They
            mostly have a minimum order, though. I wonder if enough people on
            this list would be interested in a set to justify the expense? I
            don't have a quote in front of me yet, though. Is there any interest
            out there?

            Jim
          • waters1802
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
              --- In cosmacelf@y..., Dave Ruske <dave@r...> wrote:
              > Will, if you're interested in sharing your board layout and related
              notes,
              > I'd be happy to either host the information on cosmacelf.com or
              provide a
              > link to a site of your choosing.
              >
              > Dave
              >
              > At 08:16 PM 8/14/2002 +0000, you wrote:
              > >I did a new layout such that I could fit the
              > >new 'bubble' type hex keypad, different display and DC/DC converter
              > >on it, plus I did not have an accurate enough document to copy the
              > >original board from.

              Dave, Once I finish the documentation (final parts list and source
              info, etc...) and the final testing, I will send you pictures and
              docs so others could use the design to build a COSMAC ELF-II of this
              version, if they choose.

              Will