Re: RF Modulator

  • waters1802
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 14, 2002
      Jim, thanks. I did a new layout such that I could fit the
      new 'bubble' type hex keypad, different display and DC/DC converter
      on it, plus I did not have an accurate enough document to copy the
      original board from. Also there was the cost issue, The Netronics
      ELF-II is build on a large board. This board is about half the
      size. My guess is that it would of cost $150/per board, and as it is
      I spent about $160 for 2 boards ($80/Board).

      It has been so long since I have seen an original ELF II I dont
      remember what style the keycaps are, but I would guess it will be
      hard to find replacements.

      Will

      --- In cosmacelf@y..., jkearneyma <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > --- In cosmacelf@y..., "waters1802" <engineer1@s...> wrote:
      > > Finished building my remake of the Netronics ELF-II. The PCB
      > worked
      > > first power cycle!! Thanks to all those that provided help in
      > parts
      > > and documents from this group. Next I will design and build
      > > the "Giant Board" copy, adding extra memory to it.
      >
      > That's a pretty impressive achievement. Did you lay it out
      yourself
      > from the schematics or did you actually duplicate the pcbs track
      for
      > track?
      >
      > I have a question - I have an ELF II/Giant Board I got off eBay
      > that's in dire need of repair. It needs lots of work, but the
      thing
      > that's most in need of replacement is the key caps. The ones on it
      > were scavenged from a normal keyboard and don't look right (for
      > example the numbers have the shifted function on them, e.g. '$'
      over
      > the '4'). Do you have a source for more correct keycaps?
      >
      > Jim
    • Dave Ruske
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 14, 2002
        Will, if you're interested in sharing your board layout and related notes,
        I'd be happy to either host the information on cosmacelf.com or provide a
        link to a site of your choosing.

        Dave

        At 08:16 PM 8/14/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >I did a new layout such that I could fit the
        >new 'bubble' type hex keypad, different display and DC/DC converter
        >on it, plus I did not have an accurate enough document to copy the
        >original board from.
      • jkearneyma
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 14, 2002
          --- In cosmacelf@y..., "waters1802" <engineer1@s...> wrote:
          > Jim, thanks. I did a new layout such that I could fit the
          > new 'bubble' type hex keypad, different display and DC/DC converter
          > on it, plus I did not have an accurate enough document to copy the
          > original board from. Also there was the cost issue, The Netronics
          > ELF-II is build on a large board. This board is about half the
          > size. My guess is that it would of cost $150/per board, and as it
          is
          > I spent about $160 for 2 boards ($80/Board).

          Sounds nice. You might want to take a look at www.4pcb.com. They
          have an incredible deal - 3+ boards up to 10x15 with mask and legend
          for $33 ea. Very good quality, too.

          > It has been so long since I have seen an original ELF II I dont
          > remember what style the keycaps are, but I would guess it will be
          > hard to find replacements.

          They are standard keyswitch keycaps, flat with the simple legend.
          It's relatively easy to find sloped keycaps with standard keyboard
          legends, but I have no idea where to get these off the shelf or
          (inexpensively) engraved.

          The ELF II I have was built rather poorly in other respects too; I'm
          seriously considering stripping all the parts and rebuilding it,
          despite the 'authenticity issues'.

          Jim
        • waters1802
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
            --- In cosmacelf@y..., jkearneyma <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In cosmacelf@y..., "waters1802" <engineer1@s...> wrote:
            > > Jim, thanks. I did a new layout such that I could fit the
            > > new 'bubble' type hex keypad, different display and DC/DC
            converter
            > > on it, plus I did not have an accurate enough document to copy
            the
            > > original board from. Also there was the cost issue, The
            Netronics
            > > ELF-II is build on a large board. This board is about half the
            > > size. My guess is that it would of cost $150/per board, and as
            it
            > is
            > > I spent about $160 for 2 boards ($80/Board).
            >
            > Sounds nice. You might want to take a look at www.4pcb.com. They
            > have an incredible deal - 3+ boards up to 10x15 with mask and
            legend
            > for $33 ea. Very good quality, too.
            >
            > > It has been so long since I have seen an original ELF II I dont
            > > remember what style the keycaps are, but I would guess it will be
            > > hard to find replacements.
            >
            > They are standard keyswitch keycaps, flat with the simple legend.
            > It's relatively easy to find sloped keycaps with standard keyboard
            > legends, but I have no idea where to get these off the shelf or
            > (inexpensively) engraved.
            >
            > The ELF II I have was built rather poorly in other respects too;
            I'm
            > seriously considering stripping all the parts and rebuilding it,
            > despite the 'authenticity issues'.
            >
            > Jim

            Jim, I did this project using ExpressPCB. They sound to be more
            expensive, but they provide the layout software, and when ready, the
            order is done over the internet, and 2 days later the boards show
            up. Very nice operation... I have used this service many times and
            have never had an issue. Good luck at the key cap search.
          • jkearneyma
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
              --- In cosmacelf@y..., "waters1802" <engineer1@s...> wrote:
              > Jim, I did this project using ExpressPCB. They sound to be more
              > expensive, but they provide the layout software, and when ready,
              the
              > order is done over the internet, and 2 days later the boards show
              > up. Very nice operation... I have used this service many times
              and
              > have never had an issue. Good luck at the key cap search.

              I've used them for a few boards, especially their miniboard deal is
              good for prototyping and adapters and suchlike. But their layout
              package is rather weak, and has no schematic capture or autorouting
              capabilities. I ended up buying the 'Non-Profit' version of Eagle
              (http://www.cadsoftusa.com). It's a lot more powerful, and paid for
              itself rather quickly.

              As for the keycaps, I've located a few engravers that do them. They
              mostly have a minimum order, though. I wonder if enough people on
              this list would be interested in a set to justify the expense? I
              don't have a quote in front of me yet, though. Is there any interest
              out there?

              Jim
            • waters1802
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
                --- In cosmacelf@y..., Dave Ruske <dave@r...> wrote:
                > Will, if you're interested in sharing your board layout and related
                notes,
                > I'd be happy to either host the information on cosmacelf.com or
                provide a
                > link to a site of your choosing.
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > At 08:16 PM 8/14/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                > >I did a new layout such that I could fit the
                > >new 'bubble' type hex keypad, different display and DC/DC converter
                > >on it, plus I did not have an accurate enough document to copy the
                > >original board from.

                Dave, Once I finish the documentation (final parts list and source
                info, etc...) and the final testing, I will send you pictures and
                docs so others could use the design to build a COSMAC ELF-II of this
                version, if they choose.

                Will