Re: U.S. sources for 1802 chips, etc...?

  • rileym65
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 14, 2004
      my 1802s are RCA and Harris. intersil still makes a space-worthy
      one, but last time i got an estimate on one it was over $100. I
      bought my 1802s from one of the places on the internet (cannot
      remember which one offhand) that has connections all over the world
      and are great for finding hard to find parts, trouble is, there is
      usually a minimum order. the last time i bought 1802s i had to buy a
      minimum of 30 and they were more than $30 each!!! :(
      As a work-a-like there is the 1805 and 1806, but they are also very
      difficult to find. they are instruction set compatabile (excpt IDL
      works a little different, an i believe they do not have the LOAD mode)
      and mostly pin compatable...they were not as common as 1802s so they
      actually may be harder to find.

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "thinkinginbinary"
      <yahoo.20.thinkinginbinary@s...> wrote:
      > Where did you get yours? And by expensive do you mean "hard-to-find"
      > expensive or "antique" expensive?
      >
      > And does anyone make a clone of the 1802? It doesn't have to be the
      > real RCA 1802, as long as it uses the same instruction set 'n stuff.
      >
      > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > 1802 cpus are kinda hard to find these days and when you can find them
      > > they tend to be expensive. the last time i found some, i had to buy a
      > > minimum of 30! if you are interested, i currently sell a kit called
      > > the Micro/Elf. You can find information about it at my website:
      > >
      > > http://www.lv-riley.com/~riley/elf/
      > >
      > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "thinkinginbinary"
      > > <yahoo.20.thinkinginbinary@s...> wrote:
      > > > After tinkering with emulators for a while, I'd like to actually
      build
      > > > an ELF. (Not a similar-as-possible clone--I'd like to upgrade parts
      > > > when it's easy rather than looking around for older stuff...) Where
      > > > can I buy 1802 CPU's and the other parts? If DigiKey have such a
      > > > thing, I couldn't find it. Any pointers to places to get this stuff
      > > > would be great.
    • thinkinginbinary
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 14, 2004
        Intersil charges $71.28... but they purport to offer samples... is it
        worth trying to get a "sample" if it means they get my address and
        stuff? Or do you think they'll get annoyed since it's not a "sample"
        because I just need one and I'm not buying a bunch from them?

        --Tom

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > my 1802s are RCA and Harris. intersil still makes a space-worthy
        > one, but last time i got an estimate on one it was over $100. I
        > bought my 1802s from one of the places on the internet (cannot
        > remember which one offhand) that has connections all over the world
        > and are great for finding hard to find parts, trouble is, there is
        > usually a minimum order. the last time i bought 1802s i had to buy a
        > minimum of 30 and they were more than $30 each!!! :(
        > As a work-a-like there is the 1805 and 1806, but they are also very
        > difficult to find. they are instruction set compatabile (excpt IDL
        > works a little different, an i believe they do not have the LOAD mode)
        > and mostly pin compatable...they were not as common as 1802s so they
        > actually may be harder to find.
        >

        > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "thinkinginbinary"
        > <yahoo.20.thinkinginbinary@s...> wrote:
        > > Where did you get yours? And by expensive do you mean "hard-to-find"
        > > expensive or "antique" expensive?
        > >
        > > And does anyone make a clone of the 1802? It doesn't have to be the
        > > real RCA 1802, as long as it uses the same instruction set 'n stuff.
        > >
        > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > > 1802 cpus are kinda hard to find these days and when you can
        find them
        > > > they tend to be expensive. the last time i found some, i had to
        buy a
        > > > minimum of 30! if you are interested, i currently sell a kit called
        > > > the Micro/Elf. You can find information about it at my website:
        > > >
        > > > http://www.lv-riley.com/~riley/elf/
        > > >
        > > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "thinkinginbinary"
        > build
        Where
      • J.C. Wren
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 14, 2004
          Frankly, who cares if they get annoyed or not? All they can do is
          say 'yes', and send one (maybe more) samples, or say 'no', and send you
          nothing. It's not your job to appease them, and who knows, maybe one
          day you'll actually have a reason to order 1000 from them.

          I usually try to avoid wasting applications engineers time. If I
          order samples for personal parts, unless it's a FAE I know pretty well
          already (like the guy at Lattic, or Microchip), I'm not going to bother
          him with any questions. But when I spec a part for work, I fully expect
          complete and total support. If the part isn't working as specified,
          either because of a design defect, poor documentation, or whatever, it's
          their job to help make it work. Especially when you place an order for
          10,000 or 25,000 parts.

          There are several people on another mailing list I participate in
          that absolutely abuse the sample system. Microchip, Motorola and
          Dallas/Maxim get more bogus parts requests from these people than you
          can imagine. However, considering the actual cost of the part, the
          volume they ship parts in, the number of valid sample requests, and the
          cost of determining if they're "real" or not, it's cheaper just to send
          the samples, and take the loss.

          By that token, if you are going to order samples, and they have a
          limit of say, 5 part numbers and 3 pieces each (re Microchip), make the
          order count. Max it out. Where it's costing them the most money is
          probably in the shipping and handling. Figure out 5 different parts you
          want, and get three of each.

          The only time I've felt much guilt lately is I was designing a
          LPC2106 evaluation board. I had every intent of turning PCBs and making
          at least several for myself, and anyone who wanted to cover the cost. I
          called the Philips rep, told him I wanted 3 parts for this purpose, he
          Fedex out 10 the next day. I felt kinda bad about not getting around to
          finishing the product.

          --jc

        • thinkinginbinary
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 15, 2004
            So what do you put for "Company", "Title", "Application" and such when
            you're a high school student building a replica of an old computer? ;-)

          • Mark Graybill
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 15, 2004
              On Jul 15, 2004, at 6:13 AM, thinkinginbinary wrote:

              > So what do you put for "Company", "Title", "Application" and such when
              > you're a high school student building a replica of an old computer? ;-)

              Suggestions--

              Company:

              <Your Initials> Enterprises, or whatever you please (I used "23rd
              Century Systems" when I was in high school, and ended up starting a
              real company of that name about a year after I started using it to get
              samples, typically called 23C Systems to sound a bit less sophomoric,
              but the world abounded with high-profile sophomoric company names in
              those days.)

              Title: Engineering Technician or Research Technician would do.

              Application: Emdedded controller for industrial process market or some
              such.

              -Mark G.
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 15, 2004
                thinkinginbinary wrote:
                > So what do you put for "Company", "Title", "Application" and such when
                > you're a high school student building a replica of an old computer? ;-)

                There is a long and distinguished tradition for budding engineers and
                technicians to create companies just to get parts and data sheets. One
                (true) story I like is that when the movie "2001 -- A Space Oddessy"
                came out, it featured a computer called the HAL 9000 from a company in
                Urbana IL. So, students in Urbana IL started a company, HAL Devices,
                reasoning that they would need to start work on it right away! The
                company still exists.

                I used "MMSI" (Me, Myself and I). Friends have used "FDT&S Associates
                (Fiddle, Diddle, Tweak, and Scrounge), Dectron Bydlenium (meaningless),
                Foobar Electronics, Bogus Enterprises, and many more.

                If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck; it's a duck. So, set
                everything up so you can look and act like a business. You literally set
                up your own sole proprietership company, complete with letterhead,
                business cards, mailing address, email address, website, phone number,
                bank account, etc. Of course, it's your own personal address, bank
                account, etc. but they won't check and don't care anyway. In most
                places, all it takes is a trip to the county clerk's office and $10 or
                so to register a business name.
                has!" -- Margaret Mead
                --
                Lee A. Hart 814 8th Ave N Sartell MN 56377 leeahart_at_earthlink.net
              • Kathy Quinlan
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 15, 2004
                  Lee Hart wrote:

                  > thinkinginbinary wrote:
                  >
                  >>So what do you put for "Company", "Title", "Application" and such when
                  >>you're a high school student building a replica of an old computer? ;-)
                  >

                  > There is a long and distinguished tradition for budding engineers and
                  > technicians to create companies just to get parts and data sheets. One
                  > (true) story I like is that when the movie "2001 -- A Space Oddessy"
                  > came out, it featured a computer called the HAL 9000 from a company in
                  > Urbana IL. So, students in Urbana IL started a company, HAL Devices,
                  > reasoning that they would need to start work on it right away! The
                  > company still exists.
                  >
                  > I used "MMSI" (Me, Myself and I). Friends have used "FDT&S Associates
                  > (Fiddle, Diddle, Tweak, and Scrounge), Dectron Bydlenium (meaningless),
                  > Foobar Electronics, Bogus Enterprises, and many more.
                  >
                  > If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck; it's a duck. So, set
                  > everything up so you can look and act like a business. You literally set
                  > up your own sole proprietership company, complete with letterhead,
                  > business cards, mailing address, email address, website, phone number,
                  > bank account, etc. Of course, it's your own personal address, bank
                  > account, etc. but they won't check and don't care anyway. In most
                  > places, all it takes is a trip to the county clerk's office and $10 or
                  > so to register a business name.

                  I had my business registered when I was 12 my parents held the name
                  untill I was 15. It is scary the things I built and sold (alot of it was
                  kit assembly work for other students) but I also built and sold single
                  channel light dimmers for stage use (that were approved by an
                  electrician and inspected / tested before sale)

                  Was a good little hobby, none of the companies supplying me knew a zitty
                  faced 12 year old girl was doing the design and construction work, the
                  parts suppliers just thought my dad etc was too lazy to get out the car
                  to pick the orders up...

                  Hmmm my business has now been running for 17 years.... scary thought ;)

                  Regards,

                  Kat.

                  K.A.Q. Electronics Website: www.kaqelectronics.dyndns.org
                  IM: Yahoo: PinkyDwaggy MSN: katinka@...
                  For Everything Electronics Phone: 0419 923 731
                • Randy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 16, 2004
                    Not an answer but it's great to see young people still doing this for
                    a hobby. I was 15 when I bought and assembled my first computer, a
                    Quest Super Elf kit, having started subscribing to Popular Electronics
                    2 years earlier when my school sold magazines as a fundraiser. And I
                    was probably 10 or 11 when I picked up an issue of I believe it was
                    Radio-Electronics that had an article on a simple computer using the
                    1801 2-chip design, which is probably what led me to the Super Elf
                    eventually. Long before graduating high school I knew where I wanted
                    to go to college, and that I wanted to study Electrical Engineering.
                    And so I did.
                    Keep it up! And like the others said, you don't have to tell THEM
                    you're a high school student!

                    --Randy

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 16, 2004
                      Lee Hart wrote:
                      > thinkinginbinary wrote:
                      > > So what do you put for "Company", "Title", "Application" and such
                      > > when you're a high school student building a replica of an old
                      > > computer? ;-)
                      >
                      > There is a long and distinguished tradition for budding engineers
                      > and technicians to create companies just to get parts and data
                      > sheets. One (true) story I like is that when the movie "2001 -- A
                      > Space Oddessy" came out, it featured a computer called the HAL 9000
                      > from a company in Urbana IL. So, students in Urbana IL started a
                      > company, HAL Devices, reasoning that they would need to start work
                      > on it right away! The company still exists.
                      >
                      > I used "MMSI" (Me, Myself and I). Friends have used "FDT&S
                      > Associates (Fiddle, Diddle, Tweak, and Scrounge), Dectron Bydlenium
                      > (meaningless), Foobar Electronics, Bogus Enterprises, and many more.

                      Hehehe...

                      > If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck; it's a duck. So,
                      > set everything up so you can look and act like a business. You
                      > literally set up your own sole proprietership company, complete
                      > with letterhead, business cards, mailing address, email address,
                      > website, phone number, bank account, etc. Of course, it's your own
                      > personal address, bank account, etc. but they won't check and don't
                      > care anyway. In most places, all it takes is a trip to the county
                      > clerk's office and $10 or so to register a business name.

                      I'm not even going to bother setting up a "business" or a business. A
                      fake name (registered or not) should be enough to get stuff from them.
                      ;-) I used "TJT Enterprises" for the company, "Embedded controller"
                      (what else *are* 1802's used for ;-) for the Application. I put
                      "(internal use)" for "End Customer", reasoning that putting my own
                      name would be a bit of a giveaway.

                      But this is gonna be fun... ;-)

                      Does anyone have a list of modern equivalents of the rest of the
                      chips, since I'm not really familiar with everything they use. (I've
                      been a software guy for most of my life but only now am I really
                      getting into hardware/electronics.)

                      Another question: is it possible to use a parallel port to control the
                      data bus and the input switch, to make a computer programmer for the ELF?

                      See ya,

                      Tom
                    • rileym65
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 16, 2004
                        A common modern day part for the hex displays are TIL-311. all the
                        4000 series parts in the original project are still readily
                        available...there are quite a few modern day ram chips that you can
                        use to replace the originals as well. i use 32k cache ram chips in my
                        designs, they are easy to wire up, easy to come by, and give your elf
                        32k...
                        I had made at one time a parallel port interface to one of my older
                        elfs, i will see if i can find the schematic for it...but in essence
                        it had a 74ls244 to gate the parallel port pins to the data bus of the
                        elf, the parallel /strobe line connected to the DMA_IN, and then i
                        used the decoding logic for the switch input to gate the 74ls244. i
                        removed the gating chip used by the switches so that they would not
                        conflict with the parallel port input. another way you can handle
                        that is to put a sfdt toggle on the gates for the switches on one side
                        and the 74ls244 strobe on the other, such that if the toggle is up,
                        the switches can be read, and if down, the parallel port interface
                        would be read.

                      • rileym65
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 16, 2004
                          i forgot to mention in my reply, that if you want the 32k, you will
                          need to add a 74ls373 (8-bit latch) or equivalent to latch the high
                          bits of the address bus.

                        • rileym65
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 16, 2004
                            For those interested, i have uploaded to the files section a schematic
                            of my PC Parallel port to Elf interface. Here is a brief description
                            of it:

                            Left side are the pin numbers on the PC parallel port, essentially
                            these are the 8 data lines and the /strobe signal
                            The right side contains the connections needed on the Elf. The DB? and
                            SC1 lines can be directly connected, DMA_IN needs to be combined with
                            the IN switch (using diodes are gates), if you do not care to keep IN
                            button functionality, you can disconnect it from DMA_IN. The DATA_IN
                            signal is the enable that would enable the toggle switches to be read.
                            As i stated in my prior post, you can either use an spdt toggle to
                            select either the data switches or the parallel port as input, or
                            remove the chips that allow the gating of the data switches.

                            In my original circuit, the flip-flop and inverter were spare gates on
                            my Elf board and therefore my board had only the 74ls244. Most Elf
                            systems should have the spare flip-flop and/or inverter, which would
                            cut down on the chip count for building this interface.

                            If anybody would like further information on this circuit or how to
                            use it, just let me know. I will be glad to help.