MSI/88e revisited

  • kd5ryo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
      Yesterday, I threw out my knee while running, so I'm stuck sitting or laying down. Great
      fun. Luckily, the MSI/88e I ordered (and spoke of here) came in. The case was all
      desheveled and in various sorts of dissaray. It was broken open on the side, and was
      pretty worn, but the electronics inside were in prime condition. Clean too.

      I've been poking around and have developed an interest in the RAM cards contained
      within. I also found the 1802 (the reason I bought it in the first place).

      Sorry to be so long winded, I simply wanted to report that the MSI/88e's from this place
      are good. I haven't powered it up (or even though about it), I just cracked it open as soon
      as I got it out of the box. I may order another one in the near future.

      If anyone is interested in pictures of the insides of this thing and its various boards, I'd be
      more than happy to take some and put them on the web.

      cmh
    • David N. Elliott
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
        I ordered 10 units. I powered them all up and they all worked. Of
        course they come up with the error because the wand or whatever isn't
        attached.
        Elliott

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2004
          kd5ryo wrote:
          > Sorry to be so long winded, I simply wanted to report that the
          > MSI/88e's from this place are good...

          I agree. I bought several, and they all worked when I put batteries in!
          'Course, I don't have any software to use them...

          We've traced out partial schematics of them, as well. I've traced out
          almost all of the CPU board, and part of the keyboard/display board. If
          you'd like a copy of my work, send me a stamped self-addressed envelope.

          Likewise, any one who has done some of their own tracing can send me
          what you have, and I will incorporate it into mine and distribute them
          to anyone who wants it.
          has!" -- Margaret Mead
          --
          Lee A. Hart 814 8th Ave N Sartell MN 56377 leeahart_at_earthlink.net
        • Bill Rowe
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2004
            did someone once post a dump of the ROM?

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2004
              Check in the files section under MSI88CPU. I think there is a textfile of the rom in there
              somewhere. Here is a direct link:

              http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/
              wFjEQIAtk2Cj9wBzhYGCPGTxYXgbBgw9psdp9cix_b38jsSsEpYvDO-
              BHjIQagTFjPeOJdHFeCKeYl0cChF4AvlZx40/MSI88CPU/Msi88e.txt

              cmh