HP 5082-7640 Replacements

  • Mark Graybill
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2004
      In the course of some other work, I learned that Agilent is still in
      current production of Hexadecimal displays. The current part numbers
      are as follows:
      HDSP-0762 Red Hex display
      HDSP-0772 High Brightness Red Hexadecimal Display
      HDSP-0862 Yellow Hex display
      HDSP-0962 Green Hex display

      These are direct replacements for the 5082-7640 (at least the 0762 is,
      the others are pin-compatible with the display differences noted.)

      The bad news on these parts is the price. In small quantities they run
      about $30 apiece, the cheapest I found was the green display, which
      runs just under $23 apiece from Arrow Electronics (www.arrow.com.) The
      price on the green display from Avnet-Marshall is about the same, but
      they don't have any in stock.

      Of course, if you buy in quantities of 5000 or more you can get them
      for less than $20 apiece...

      -Mark G.
    • erd_6502
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2004
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Mark Graybill <saundby@f...> wrote:
        > In the course of some other work, I learned that Agilent is still
        in
        > current production of Hexadecimal displays. The current part
        numbers
        > are as follows:
        > HDSP-0762 Red Hex display
        .
        .
        .
        > These are direct replacements for the 5082-7640 (at least the 0762
        > is)... The bad news on these parts is the price. In small
        > quantities they run about $30 apiece...

        Hex displays always were expensive. ISTR the ones I bought for my
        Quest Elf were at least $15 each in 1979.

        I've had luck with occasionally finding them on ePay. One auction had
        a lot with two HP 5082-7640s, four TIL-311s and a couple of DS1417s (4
        char ASCII displays as seen in the Rockwell AIM-65). I don't think I
        paid more than $30 for the entire set, incl. S&H. TIL-311s (or
        equivalents) are rather common to find. The HPs are the rarer ones.

        Still... it's nice to know that you can still find the original
        form-factor, though. Personally, I'd use TIL-311s in anything except
        a Popular Electronics design... they are slightly larger, easier to
        find, and, IIRC, have a seperate power input for the LEDs (for
        low-power designs)
      • Mark Graybill
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2004

          > Hex displays always were expensive. ISTR the ones I bought for my
          > Quest Elf were at least $15 each in 1979.

          Yes, I remember paying the same for mine in 1977 or so. I grumbled a
          bit because TIL311's were cheaper then, too, about $10-12.

          > I've had luck with occasionally finding them on ePay. One auction had
          > a lot with two HP 5082-7640s, four TIL-311s and a couple of DS1417s (4
          > char ASCII displays as seen in the Rockwell AIM-65). I don't think I
          > paid more than $30 for the entire set, incl. S&H. TIL-311s (or
          > equivalents) are rather common to find. The HPs are the rarer ones.

          Yes, the TIL-311's are still available from many hobbyist vendors. One
          advantage of the recent downturn, though, is that a lot of the
          distributors who wouldn't deal with small lots before will do so now.
          As a person whose business involves turning out small lots of
          engineering prototypes this has helped me out quite a bit as well.

          > Still... it's nice to know that you can still find the original
          > form-factor, though. Personally, I'd use TIL-311s in anything except
          > a Popular Electronics design... they are slightly larger, easier to
          > find, and, IIRC, have a seperate power input for the LEDs (for
          > low-power designs)

          I use the TIL-311's in the Elfs my students build, largely because I
          want it to be easy for them to get replacements after they leave my
          class. This year we're probably going to add the seperate switch for
          the LED power to take advantage of the seperate logic and LED supplies
          on the TIL311, since once we move on to using a terminal the hex
          display is seldom referred to. I've considered making the display turn
          off under logical control, maybe in a future rev.

          It is nice that the original display is still availble. It's such a
          nice part, but _extremely_ expensive. I wish I could get into the
          disposal chain for old large-chassis HP3000's and HP9000/800's, they
          had a small console that used the hex displays as well as several other
          interesting components. Not to mention all the MSI parts, 8-bit CPUs,
          etc. on the boards inside the chassis. Unfortunately, most of these are
          being crushed for materials recovery when they are disposed of.

          -Mark G.