Re: COMX-35

  • retepv
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 2004
      > > > processors, I guess you guys at cosmacelf will be interested.
      > >
      > > Are you planning on making it an open source project? I would
      > > imagine that there are some (myself included) on this list that
      > > may like to lend their hands to help if available.
      >
      > I for one would be willing to help. In fact, if you do not yet have
      > the 1802 emulation, i could provide that.

      Well, I was originally planning to do it all myself, to be able to do
      it in my own time. But already it was getting into a slump because I
      couldn't find all the info, couldn't get a COMX-35 and couldn't find
      anybody who was enthousiastic about the idea :). But someone
      contacted me yesterday because he had the same idea. So now I am
      trying to get a bit organised to get it started.

      I will at least be posting my progress here. It will be open source,
      no sense in making it closed source, no need to do it comercially :).
      It's just for the fun of it, I simply want to have written an
      emulator once in my life. I also don't think there is work for more
      than 2 or 3 people. But maybe when the project starts to take form it
      will turn out otherwise. It's a bit early to tell.

      But anyway: thanks for the support!

      I have already been raiding a lot of websites, including Lee's
      Quickbasic 1802 emulator :). I am already resolved in writing the
      emulator in Object Oriented C++, I will be writing my own 1802 CPU
      emulation, maybe using other 1802 emulator's code as example (I will
      not copy any part unless I need it and have permission). The object
      is to have a clock-for-clock perfect emulation and I am reflecting on
      an (software) architecture that will enable that (I'm a pretty
      experienced software engineer).

      But these are still wishes, nothing concrete yet.

      Regards!

      PeterV
    • Bill Rowe
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 2004
        Hi Peter: I would be happy to let you have the VB source for the visible
        machine 1802 emulator. One of the trickiest things I had to work out was
        the video & interrupt timing for the 1861. Also the logic to stabilize the
        execution speed and synchronize with the real world.

        Don't underestimate the amount of work to code the emulator and the
        supporting routines (I/O, visual "skins" etc.). I encourage you to get a
        gang effort going if you can.

        anyway, I'm sure you'll have fun. And do keep us posted.