CDP WTF?

  • Michael Fogus
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
      I found an interesting cosmac in a pile of components that a friend
      was discarding; sadly he didn't know what it was. The cpu is the
      (in)famous RCA
      CDP1802ACE, but I am not sure what the remaining components are, nor
      what this beast's
      purpose is. Any help would be appreciated.

      I have a picture of it at my blog:

      http://modus-ponens.lacrymology.com/blog/

      Thanks in advance
      -m
    • Mark Graybill
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
        The CD4096BE is a flip-flop, it's standard CMOS logic. I can't read the
        designation of the 8-pin chip through the glare in the image.

        I don't recognise the board, it looks like a CPU daughterboard for something
        else.

        -Mark G.

        On Tuesday 02 March 2004 06:39 pm, Michael Fogus wrote:
        > I found an interesting cosmac in a pile of components that a friend
        > was discarding; sadly he didn't know what it was. The cpu is the
        > (in)famous RCA
        > CDP1802ACE, but I am not sure what the remaining components are, nor
        > what this beast's
        > purpose is. Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > I have a picture of it at my blog:
        >
        > http://modus-ponens.lacrymology.com/blog/
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > -m
      • mc71de
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2004
          Hi Michael,

          --- "Michael Fogus" wrote:
          > I found an interesting cosmac ...

          Does the board look if it were cut out of a larger board?

          And, more interestingly, what is on the other side of the board? Any
          connectors? Without any kind of ROM, the 1802 won't do anything
          useful (despite you could use it as 'counter to 65535'- but i guess
          you could get this functionality cheaper *g*)

          My first guess (but i have never seen the guts of one) was that it
          could be the processor of an ancient chess computer (Hegener &
          Glaser 'Mephisto I' and 'Mephisto II', the 'little black brick'
          or 'piece of coal', as it's fans call it)- but we would need some
          kind of memory (ROM as well as RAM) and a display (LCD) and keyboard
          (some 10+ keys)...

          Just my .02 %money%

          Max
        • Michael Fogus
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
            > Does the board look if it were cut out of a larger board?

            Not really. It looks like an autonomous unit.

            > And, more interestingly, what is on the other side of the board?

            40 pins about 4cm long. That's it.

            > could be the processor of an ancient chess computer

            Now that would be cool!

            -m
          • Michael Fogus
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
              > designation of the 8-pin chip through the glare in the image.

              I will check it out when I get home tonight.

              Thank you
              -m
            • Stewart
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Fogus" <nospam@l...> wrote:

                > > And, more interestingly, what is on the other side of the board?
                >
                > 40 pins about 4cm long. That's it.

                Sounds like your cpu board probably stacked with others on those pins,
                similar size boards carrying the RAM, I/O, etc. Those handheld 1802
                POS terminals we were going on about on the list last year were laid
                out that way.

                Stewart