Can 93L422 a direct replacement of 2101?

  • Allen Bong
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
      Hi,

      I just found some 93L422 chips on some of the junked PCBs in my spare-
      part-box. There are 6 of them on each PCB and I guess I have 30 of
      them. Can these be used directly on the original cosmac elf to
      replace the 2101?

      If the answer is positive, I am offering them for anyone who wants to
      build the cosmac elf. First 3 chips are free and additional chips at
      50 cents each plus airmail postage. Of course if you are from the
      US, it is cheaper to order from Mr. Lee Harts who is also offering
      the 5101s free. FYI, I am from Malaysia and the postage + padded
      envelope will be roughly amounted to US$5 to get the chips to US.
      For Asia/Pacific builders, the postage would be much cheaper.

      Please be informed that, the chips are used. I used a hot air gun to
      unsolder them and I am not going to test them (at least now). My
      cosmac elf has the 5101 (from Lee Harts) directly soldered to the
      board as I couldn't get 22-pin sockets here locally or else I would
      have tested the unsoldered chips on my elf.

      Allen
      Malaysia.
    • Duane Hofstetter
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2004
        I found this data sheet for these chips.

        http://www.jrok.com/datasheet/93L422.pdf

        I don't know if this matches the footprint of the 2101.

        Duane ke8bg@...

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Bong" <sfbong@t...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I just found some 93L422 chips on some of the junked PCBs in my
        spare-
        > part-box. There are 6 of them on each PCB and I guess I have 30 of
        > them. Can these be used directly on the original cosmac elf to
        > replace the 2101?
        >
        > If the answer is positive, I am offering them for anyone who wants
        > build the cosmac elf. First 3 chips are free and additional chips
        at
        > 50 cents each plus airmail postage. Of course if you are from the
        > US, it is cheaper to order from Mr. Lee Harts who is also offering
        > the 5101s free. FYI, I am from Malaysia and the postage + padded
        > envelope will be roughly amounted to US$5 to get the chips to US.
        > For Asia/Pacific builders, the postage would be much cheaper.
        >
        > Please be informed that, the chips are used. I used a hot air gun
        > unsolder them and I am not going to test them (at least now). My
        > cosmac elf has the 5101 (from Lee Harts) directly soldered to the
        > board as I couldn't get 22-pin sockets here locally or else I would
        > have tested the unsoldered chips on my elf.
        >

        > Allen
        > Malaysia.
      • Richard
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2004
          It Is Pin Compatible but don't know if it's timeing compatible. Also It is
          TTL instead of CMOS.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 17, 2004
            Duane Hofstetter wrote:
            > I found this data sheet for these chips.
            > http://www.jrok.com/datasheet/93L422.pdf
            > I don't know if this matches the footprint of the 2101.

            Yes, it matches.
            --
            "Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the
            world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has!" -- Margaret Meade
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 17, 2004
              From: Richard <stateamuse@...>
              Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 11:11 am

              > It Is Pin Compatible but don't know if it's timeing compatible.
              > Also It is
              > TTL instead of CMOS.

              From what I read the 5101 is CMOS and the 2101 is NMOS. Comparing the 2101 with 93L422, the Icc1 of 2101 is 30mA while Icc of 93L422 is 55 to 65 mA typical. So the consumption of 93L422 is almost double. The 5101 only consumes uA, I presumed.

              Allen