Re: [cosmacelf] Re: 4-bit microcomputer ad

  • Dave Ruske
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 18 1:00 PM
      Have you seen this site?

      http://smithsonianchips.si.edu/ice/4004thb.htm

      In particular, page 4 shows schematics for a system built around Intel's
      4004, their "MCS-4" (MCS = Micro Computer Set). The system using the MCS-4
      chipset was the SIM4:

      http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/4004.html

      Search Google for "intel 4004", "mcs-4", and "sim4" and you'll likely find
      other 4004 information.

      Dave

      At 07:05 PM 7/18/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      >I know there's lots of new 4-bit chips but I'm doing historical
      >research and looking for that specific old 4-bit microcomputer. I'll
      >probably need to search the old computer issues to find it in one
      >of the ads, but I don't have access to the computer magazines
      >right now. I was hoping someone had a website on it and it
      >would be flagged by the 4-bit designation in a search engine or
      >someones memory.
      >
      >Mike
    • Dave Ruske
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 23 1:52 PM
        Mark Bitting forwarded this to me in a piece of email:

        >I was reading through the forum, the guy looking for the 4-bit computer is
        >looking for the "Nibbler" (sold by DigiKey I think). It used a COP-something
        >chip for the brains, that's about all I can remember about it.

        Hmm, the Nibbler... that does ring a muffled, dusty bell in the attic. A
        quick Google search just turned up information on a sheet metal tool called
        a nibbler, though. Does this refresh anyone else's memory?

        Dave
      • mikegotis
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 24 1:57 AM
          Thanks to everyone working on this query and
          posting ideas. I believe the Nibbler may be the computer
          I'm looking for. I'll need to see a scan of the original ad to
          know for sure. I also searched the web and
          there's only a brief mention of it.
          I'd like to know if any Nibblers exist - and request
          any information about the Nibbler microcomputer
          for my project.
          -Mike