RE: [cosmacelf] TINY BASIC without Cassette

  • Gemeny, Steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2002
      Mike,

      Lee's recommendation is basically the only way to make it work. As always,
      the devil's in the details... or in this case, the I/O routine.

      Tiny doesn't usually include I/O routines, just jump addresses to the I/O.
      You'll have to provide the I/O routines for your system and change the
      addresses that Tiny uses to get to them (once the I/O is in PROM). If your
      setup worked from cassette then the it probably loaded Tiny and the IO into
      RAM (or did you have some parts of it in a PROM, like the I/O )

      My PROMs are setup for a serial I/O (much easier to use, even these days via
      a terminal emulator program on a PC)

      If I remember right, the ELF II has no PROM area, you'll have to wire wrap a
      card to plug into the bus, decode the high addresses, generate a chip select
      and run another chip select back to your memory area (if it is not fully
      decoded from the 64K address map) to be sure it is off when you are
      accessing the PROM. Then you'll need to put (or have someone put) your I/O
      routine in the right part of a PROM along with a variant of Tiny with the
      right jump addresses to get to the I/O. There are several other defaults
      that Tiny uses for things like RAM Area and Variable storage... Tread
      lightly. There may be more to change than meets the eye. Read the manual
      carefully. here is Tom's online version
      http://homepage.mac.com/IttyBittyComputers/Pittman.html
      <http://homepage.mac.com/IttyBittyComputers/Pittman.html> .

      You'll still need to load a long branch to the cold start address of Tiny in
      PROM (I just enter C0 84 00 ) as your first instruction in RAM and then run.

      Good Luck,
      Steve

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 16, 2002
        Gemeny, Steve wrote:
        > If I remember right, the ELF II has no PROM area, you'll have to wire
        > wrap a card to plug into the bus, decode the high addresses, generate
        > a chip select and run another chip select back to your memory area
        > (if it is not fully decoded from the 64K address map) to be sure it
        > is off when you are accessing the PROM.

        If Stewart Marshall is listening, I sold him a bunch of blank boards for
        BASYS/1 1802 single-board computers. Maybe he'll sell you one.

        I upgraded some ELF computers with them by installing a wire-wrap socket
        for the 1802, plugging the 1802 into this socket, and plugging the long
        tails of the socket into the 1802 socket on the ELF board. The BASYS
        board has 2k of RAM (four 2114 sockets) and up to 8k of EPROM (2x58,
        2716, 2732, 2764 etc.), both of which are fully decoded and can be
        addressed anywhere in the memory map. There is also an 8-bit input port,
        an 8-bit output port, and an opto-isolated RS-232 port.