Olduino Web Server - Now With Pictures!

    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 28, 2014
      The olduino server is back online at http://73.49.12.94:1802

      The obvious change is that instead of reporting the LED status with text it shows an animated picture of the board with the LED either on or off. All I had to do was change the text I sent out from "The LED is ON" to a HTML img tag and your browser does the hard part of fetching the picture and displaying it.

      Under the covers the big change is that it pays attention to the IP of an incoming request. If it hasn't seen a particular IP before it invites you to tell it your name or where you are. It displays a rolling list of the last 32 contacts. I originally thought I would have some kind of multi-player game but I couldn't think of one.  The skeleton is there to base it on though so if anybody has an idea for a really simple game or other interactivity I'd be keen to hear it.

      Bill Rowe
      Olduino - An Arduino For the First of Us
      www.olduino.wordpress.com

      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 30, 2014

        I have a copy of 101 basic computer games at home but i didn't realize it was published by DEC.  I remember typing  hammurabi into my TRS-80 and it's full of nice simple games that the 1802 can master.  There's a couple of versions of NIM, and a mastermind play-alike called BAGEL which looks particularly fun.  It even has the ANIMAL guessing game that Len was referring to below.

        It will probably be a while before I get to doing it but I will for sure.

        To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
        From: lkaplan@...
        Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 19:20:45 -0400
        Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Olduino Web Server - Now With Pictures!

        >if anybody has an idea for a really simple game or other interactivity
        >I'd be keen to hear it.

        "Guess the number", maybe? Previous guesses are shown, and you enter the
        next guess?

        (there's also a neat "guess the animal" game that allows people to add
        to a rudimentary knowledge base - the computer tries to guess your
        animal, and when it gets a "no" to the last possibility, it asks you for
        the correct answer, a new question, and whether the correct answer would
        be yes or no - but I'm not sure how much memory that would take to
        implement, or if that would even work w/out maintaining state for
        individual users)

        -Len