UT-4 source?

  • Chris Elmquist
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2014
      I'm interested in finally (after, oh, almost 40 yrs) building a small 1802
      system but my happiness lies in machines that have a serial console connected
      to a dumb terminal.

      I see in the book "Design Ideas Book for the CDP1802 COSMAC Microprocessor"
      (BMP802) the listing for a small monitor called UT-4.

      I'm wondering if anyone knows the wherabouts of machine readable source
      for this monitor? Checking for that before I start typing it in...

      Was there a UT-3 (-2, -1) also? I saw mention of UT-5 or -6 yesterday
      on this list in another thread. Is there any more info on the UT-stuff
      floating around?

      Chris
      --
      Chris Elmquist
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2014
        Chris Elmquist wrote:
        > a small monitor called UT-4... I'm wondering if anyone knows the
        > wherabouts of machine readable source for this monitor? Checking for
        > that before I start typing it in...

        I typed it all in, made a few improvements, and called it the IDIOT
        monitor. Herb Johnson has it online at

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/mship_idiot.html

        > Was there a UT-3 (-2, -1) also? I saw mention of UT-5 or -6
        > yesterday on this list in another thread. Is there any more info on
        > the UT-stuff floating around?

        Oh, yes. There were versions up to at least UT-21. RCA generally made a
        version for each of their boards and development systems.

        --
        Ingenuity gets you through times of no money better than money
        will get you through times of no ingenuity. -- Terry Pratchett
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2014
          ah! i have seen your IDIOT monitor but did not realize it was derived from the RCA original. Thanks Lee.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2014
            Chris Elmquist wrote:
            > ah! i have seen your IDIOT monitor but did not realize it was derived from the RCA original. Thanks Lee.

            It *had* to be essentially the same as UT4, so all the entry points and
            operation of the routines were the same. There were many programs that
            called these routines in ROM to send and receive serial characters.

            As time passed, I kept adding features to UT4. Register save and
            restore, breakpoints, block moves, ability to relocate it, support for
            Tiny BASIC, etc.