Re: [cosmacelf] RE: Generating a string of pulses [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2013
      From: bill rowe <bill_rowe_ottawa@...>
      > I got my pulse string generated but I cheated to do it...

      I've been meaning to comment, but have been away from home.

      Bill, look at UART circuits built with discrete ICs for ideas on how to do this. The usual circuit (for 7-bit ASCII) would use an 8-bit shift register. When it gets loaded, the ASCII character goes into the upper 7 bits, and a "1" goes into the least significant bit. A clock shifts the data out, and shifts that "1" through as well. Logic resets the register when it is all 1's (i.e. all the data has been shifted out). Resetting the register makes it all 0's, which inhibits the clock so no further data comes out.

      --
      Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one who is
      doing it. -- Chinese proverb
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2013
        Thanks Lee.  I know I've seen something like this somewhere - maybe that's it.

        To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
        From: leeahart@...
        Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 15:43:52 -0500
        Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] RE: Generating a string of pulses