Re: [cosmacelf] RE: Found Quest S100 Hardware

  • Scott Alley
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2013
      Yep, I think you had to purchase the expansion board to get the cassette interface (and 4K? of RAM, a couple of S100 slots, and a serial interface).  It still seems strange to me that today we talk about giga-bytes of R/W memory.

      - Scott

      On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM, <touchetek@...> wrote:

      Ah, Quest Super Elf...
      Would like one too.  it was my first micro but did little with it cause

      I couldn't save programs...  I think?  Was there a cassette interface?

      I don't think so.

      There is a one on Ebay right  now, but its pretty "salty".

      ---In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, <5c077a113y@...> wrote:

      Couldn't resist contacting a group of COSMAC enthusiasts!

      Back in 1970's I had a Quest Super Elf.  (Time lapse of 35 years)  Digging around in the basement I found an S100 backplane and 2, S100 cards (True Blue Video, Dynamic RAM) from that system.  Also found some Quest Super Elf  documentation (partial, nothing for those cards however).  Could live without the S100 cards, but would like to own a Quest Super Elf "motherboard" again!

      Hope to put together a Membership Card in the near future, and to re-read those Quest newsletters!

      - Scott

    • dougmemphis
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2013

        Ah, I thought so. Haven't handled a Super Elf since then so couldn't be sure.

        I wanted to do analog music control with it back then but got demotivated with

        lack of file save and software literature to learn from.  An RCA VIP might have changed

        my life.

        Oh yes, the explosion of memory quantity gets to most of us early micro users!

        I've got a VIP with 2k, a TRS-80 model I with 4k, a PET with 16k, and lots of stuff

        with 64K and under!  It seems even excessive for the time to fill up an early Mac- just

        a few years down the pike from the sub 64K machines- with 1 to 4 MEGA bytes. :)

[...]

      • Mark G Thomas
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2013
          Hi,

          On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 08:34:33PM -0500, Scott Alley wrote:
          > Yep, I think you had to purchase the expansion board to get the
          > cassette interface (and 4K? of RAM, a couple of S100 slots, and a
          > serial interface). It still seems strange to me that today we talk
          > about giga-bytes of R/W memory.
          > - Scott

          I added the expansion board with 2x S100 slots, and a S100 slot expander.
          A junior high school classmate's father *gave* me three then-precious
          8k S100 static RAM boards. Each board had 64x2102 chips on it. They
          drew a lot of current. I had a significant number of 2102 chips fail, so
          ended up spending some time and effort writing memory test programs and
          tracking down bad chips. Once powered up and memory tests passed, loading
          BASIC from cassette took a long time. I used my ASR-33 teletype as a
          terminal, then maybe later a Hazeltine CRT.

          I still have my Quest Super Elf, and it still mostly works. The LED
          displays are extremely dim -- I think they have degraded internally,
          unless it is an issue with the chips that drive them. One day I'll
          put a modern power supply in the chassis, replace the displays if I can,
          and clean up some of the wiring I did when I was 14 and originally
          assembled it.

          The elf2k is much less tedious to work with. Booting ElfOS from CF card
          is a joy compared with loading software via serial port or cassette.

          I just recently modified a Membership Card by adding an elf2k ROM,
          posting info to this group about the process. Using with the Membership
          Card via serial port with the additional ROM utilities is fun and easy,
          and of cource it still has the switches and blinkin' lights.

          Mark

          --
          Mark G. Thomas (Mark@...)