Chess Program Bug

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 4, 2013
      I ran across another bug,

      here's the situation,

      I was running my elfexe. stepping through program,

      got up to point for first move , entered 10 20, so I hit C (continue) after
      a spell its first move is 00 00.

      so i tried it in mike rileys emulator, works fine , with first move 63 43

      so i have been working on finding a bug in my exe.

      but that is not what i found, on my emulator all registers except 0 start
      out at FFFF.

      Register E High byte is used as a flag holder, and is not set up properly.
    • system3025

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 5, 2013

          That's A Good Place, I Guess It Time To Start Documenting Bug Fixes

          you mentioned, a problem with the FF command, What was that one?

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 5, 2013

            Yeah, the FF command was processed in this code:

            xri $CF ; Computer move First?

            lbz L0827 ; If so, go to COMPUTER MOVES FIRST

            xri $03 ; Clear Code?

            bz L007F ; If so, clear current input codes

            xri $33 ; Master clear ( hex FF ) ?

            bz L0000 ; If so, branch to initialize

            Which branches to address 0000 here:

            L0000: sex r0 ; x = r0; p = r0

            ghi r0

            phi r3

            ldi $08

            plo r3 ; r3 = 0008; Jump to L0008 after dis

            dis ; Interrupt disable

            db $23 ; x = r2; p = r3

            L0008: ldi $0F ; Jump here to start new game

            When the program starts r0 is the PC. After the dis instruction r3 is the PC. Later in the program r0 is used for the subroutine pointer and r0.1 = 0B. After a FF command there was a branch to L0000 and the PC high byte is loaded with 0B and it crashes. The bz L0000 should be bz L0008.

            There's other bugs too that I haven't fixed yet. When the program see a stalemate it'll always take it even thou it has a huge advantage and the CA command to change the search depth limit doesn't work. I think this program was never published because it has a lot problems.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 6, 2013

              Floyd could have finished it, but didn't send it to quest.

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 26, 2014

                I notice a new .HEX of Floyd Oats' Chess program appeared in the Lost Archive folder ...  Was that Mike, AKA system3025?

                Curious, I did a compare (against a version I had from 9/23/13) and found only 1 byte changed: 00 @ 00D6 changed to 02.

                This causes me to wonder if it is a final version and it there is a .ASM file to go with it.

                Thanks,

                Steve

              • system3025
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 26, 2014
                  Hi Steve,

                  Actually I was looking at the Lunar Lander program uploaded today and I noticed there was a misspelling in the chess.hex file description and I just edited it. After I saw your post I looked back at the files I had for chess and I notice I didn't upload my last bug fixes and modifications I made to the program. I just uploaded them. I used A18 to assemble the .ASM file. It should work with other assemblers.

                  Floyd probably didn't have an assemblers when he wrote the program and when he added code and made changes to the program he jumped to the new code then jumped back. I eliminated most of those jumps and moved a lot of the code round to save some memory and make it run a little faster.

                  I was planning on adding a couple of commands to the program, display game moves and take back last move, but I got involved with other projects and never did get back to it. There's a lot of comments in the .ASM file related to adding those commands.

                  That old chess.hex file from 9/23/2013 has a bug where the FF command (start new game) will crash the program. Delete it and use the one I just uploaded.

                  Mike
                • Steve Gemeny
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 26, 2014

                    Mike,

                    Great work.  I was just looking through the .ASM at some of your changes.  I particularly like that you kept in all his comments.  Either you are very good at OCR or at doing a lot of retyping.

                    I had noticed it looked like the A18 mnemonics   ( I frequently include in my comments which assembler I used).

                    While I never like to advise someone on their coding style (mostly since I have none)… I’d also suggest that you consider:

                      A)  Expanding your “By Line” by that I am referring to something my grand-dad always said “He who tootith not, his own horn – The same shall not be tooted”.  Your effort here could take on a life of its own and end up in someone else’s archive, then years from now when someone decides they want to thank you they  find no clues to track you down.  (Email address, web site, address, call sign, or nothing…)

                      B)  Including some reference to the Creative commons release that Pitkin gave – while it may not be a necessity, it may be worthwhile for consistency.

                    Again, Great job, and thanks for the effort and the files.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 29, 2014
                      In reading the thread on this chess program, I see "A18" mentioned by
                      Steve and Mike. I assume that's the 1802 cross assembler I'm offering
                      (an adaption of a class of 8-bit assemblers by Calley). It's good to
                      hear A18 is in use; I haven't had much feedback about it lately.

                      http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/a18.html

                      "A18 mnemonics" were mentioned. If there's a need for other mnemonics
                      (not sure what), I'd consider making changes or alternatives. I've
                      tinkered with these assemblers for other processors, and I can make some
                      adjustments. Or...the sources are there for anyone's use, the author
                      permitted that.

                      Herb
                      --
                      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                      http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 29, 2014
                        Hi Herb,

                        I use A18 for all of my 1802 programming. Mainly because it was the first assembler I found for the 1802 and it's easy to use. I don't see any need to change anything. Thanks for making it available.

                        Mike
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 30, 2014
                          Herb: A couple of questions:
                          1) Does A18 support macros?
                          2) Do you think it would be possible to implement a "best jump" idea where it would assemble a short branch if it would reach or a long branch if not?

                          To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 30, 2014
                            Also: Why is A18 limited to running in a dos box?

                            To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 30, 2014
                              > Also: Why is A18 limited to running in a dos box?

                              It isn't if you rebuild it from source - I've built and run it under
                              both 32- and 64-bit Linuxes, using gcc.

                              I'll note, however, that under Linux the lines in the .hex files
                              terminate with just linefeeds instead of carriage-return/linefeed pairs
                              (the latter which I saw in the supplied test results). My emulator's
                              loader doesn't care about that, but I think it's an easy fix in any case.

                              (thanks for making the source available, Herb :-)

                              -Len

                              On 08/30/2014 03:18 PM, bill rowe bill_rowe_ottawa@...
                              [cosmacelf] wrote:
                              > Also: Why is A18 limited to running in a dos box?
                              >
                              > To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
                              > From: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
                              > Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:23:13 -0400
                              > Subject: [cosmacelf] Chess Program Bug
                              >

                              > In reading the thread on this chess program, I see "A18" mentioned by
                              >
                              > Steve and Mike. I assume that's the 1802 cross assembler I'm offering
                              >
                              > (an adaption of a class of 8-bit assemblers by Calley). It's good to
                              >
                              > hear A18 is in use; I haven't had much feedback about it lately.
                              >

                              > http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/a18.html
                              >

                              > "A18 mnemonics" were mentioned. If there's a need for other mnemonics
                              >
                              > (not sure what), I'd consider making changes or alternatives. I've
                              >
                              > tinkered with these assemblers for other processors, and I can make some
                              >
                              > adjustments. Or...the sources are there for anyone's use, the author
                              >
                              > permitted that.
                              >

                              > Herb

                            • Herb Johnson
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 31, 2014
                                > Bill Rowe: Also: Why is A18 limited to running in a dos box?
                                >
                                > Len: It isn't if you rebuild it from source - I've built
                                > and run it under both 32- and 64-bit Linuxes, using gcc.
                                > [issue with LF vs CRLF noted]

                                Bill: I'm not a Windows programmer. And as Len notes, the sources are
                                there for someone who is.

                                Len: if you want to send me the Linux [Intel?] binaries, I'll add them
                                to the A18 Web page. I'd "encourage" you to make the CRLF fix you
                                suggest, send me a source "patch" on that. And you might want to check
                                for my latest sources, in case I've made some fixes.

                                Herb
                                --
                                Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                                http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net
                              • Paul Anderson
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 31, 2014
                                  To do a CRLF using C it's /r/n

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  On Aug 31, 2014, at 10:39 PM, "Herb Johnson hjohnson@... [cosmacelf]" <cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  > Bill Rowe: Also: Why is A18 limited to running in a dos box?
                                  >
                                  > Len: It isn't if you rebuild it from source - I've built
                                  > and run it under both 32- and 64-bit Linuxes, using gcc.
                                  > [issue with LF vs CRLF noted]

                                  Bill: I'm not a Windows programmer. And as Len notes, the sources are
                                  there for someone who is.

                                  Len: if you want to send me the Linux [Intel?] binaries, I'll add them
                                  to the A18 Web page. I'd "encourage" you to make the CRLF fix you
                                  suggest, send me a source "patch" on that. And you might want to check
                                  for my latest sources, in case I've made some fixes.

                                  Herb
                                  --
                                  Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                                  http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net

                                • Charles Richmond
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 1 5:19 PM
                                    For printf() in C, the compiler should do an automatic fix. That is,
                                    if you print just "\n", you should get "\r\n" in the output... if the
                                    compiler is for use on systems that have carriage return/linefeed as
                                    text line terminators. Of course, on UNIX/Linux systems, the "\n"
                                    will produce only linefeed in the file when output by printf().

                                    On Aug 31, 2014, at 11:18 PM, Paul Anderson wackyvorlon@...
                                    [cosmacelf] wrote:

                                    > To do a CRLF using C it's /r/n
                                    >
                                    > Sent from my iPhone
                                    >
                                    > On Aug 31, 2014, at 10:39 PM, "Herb Johnson
                                    > hjohnson@... [cosmacelf]"
                                    > <cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    >

                                    >> > Bill Rowe: Also: Why is A18 limited to running in a dos box?
                                    >> >
                                    >> > Len: It isn't if you rebuild it from source - I've built
                                    >> > and run it under both 32- and 64-bit Linuxes, using gcc.
                                    >> > [issue with LF vs CRLF noted]
                                    >>
                                    >> Bill: I'm not a Windows programmer. And as Len notes, the sources are
                                    >> there for someone who is.
                                    >>
                                    >> Len: if you want to send me the Linux [Intel?] binaries, I'll add
                                    >> them
                                    >> to the A18 Web page. I'd "encourage" you to make the CRLF fix you
                                    >> suggest, send me a source "patch" on that. And you might want to
                                    >> check
                                    >> for my latest sources, in case I've made some fixes.
                                    >>
                                    >> Herb
                                    >> --
                                    >> Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                                    >> http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net

                                    |.....Charles and Francis Richmond.......|
                                    |........................................|
                                    |..plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com...|
                                  • David W. Schultz
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 1 6:11 PM
                                      On Linux systems you should be able to use the filters dos2unix and
                                      unix2dos to translate line terminations to whatever you require.

                                      --
                                      David W. Schultz
                                      Returned for Regrooving

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 1 10:15 PM
                                          Even if you code your own filter, it's only about a dozen lines of
                                          code...

                                          On Sep 1, 2014, at 10:00 PM, Paul Anderson wackyvorlon@...
                                          [cosmacelf] wrote:

                                          > You can also tr, sed and I believe awk.
                                          >
                                          > Sent from my iPhone
                                          >
                                          > On Sep 1, 2014, at 9:11 PM, "'David W. Schultz'
                                          > david.schultz@... [cosmacelf]"
                                          > <cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                          >

                                          >> On Linux systems you should be able to use the filters dos2unix and
                                          >> unix2dos to translate line terminations to whatever you require.

                                          |.....Charles and Francis Richmond.......|
                                          |........................................|
                                          |..plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com...|
                                        • John Porubek
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 2 9:36 AM
                                            On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Charles Richmond
                                            old_computers@... [cosmacelf] <cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com>
                                            wrote:
                                            > Even if you code your own filter, it's only about a dozen lines of
                                            > code...
                                            >
                                            > On Sep 1, 2014, at 10:00 PM, Paul Anderson wackyvorlon@...
                                            > [cosmacelf] wrote:
                                            >

                                            >> You can also tr, sed and I believe awk.

                                            Here's a link that pretty much beats this issue to death:

                                            http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3891076/how-to-convert-windows-end-of-line-in-unix-end-of-line-cr-lf-to-lf

                                            If you use vim, I especially like the solution listed:

                                            :args **/*.ext_of_choice
                                            :argdo set ff=unix | update | next

                                            -John
                                          • Len
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 3 1:15 PM
                                              I'd love to do that, Herb, but there are just too many slightly
                                              incompatible Linux distributions and systems out there, I'm not sure I
                                              could get a build that would work across more than a few of those - if
                                              even anything beyond my system here.

                                              (sadly, one of the down sides of Linux)

                                              However, I'll gladly write up build instructions and such and you can
                                              add them on your website and/or in a file to put w/the source.

                                              -Len