Re: [cosmacelf] Membership Card-2k

  • David Keith
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 29, 2013
      Thank You Mark, job well done !!! I just ordered the CP2104 USB to TTL serial adapter.  I am glad to see the drivers at their site listed on ebay.

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013
        Super cool mark, thx for posting.

        --
        Mark G. Thomas (Mark@...)

      • Mark G Thomas
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013
          Hi,

          On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 08:27:08PM -0700, David Keith wrote:
          > Thank You Mark, job well done !!! I just ordered the CP2104 USB to TTL
          > serial adapter. I am glad to see the drivers at their site listed on
          > ebay.

          I just posted crude but hopefully legible schematic drawings of the additions.

          Here are some additional notes:

          I carefully bent back pins 1, 20, & 27 on the ROM then soldered all
          the remaining pins in parallel with the corresponding RAM pins.

          ROM pin #1 needs VDD, which I jumpered to nearby pin #28.
          ROM pin #27 needs to go to A14, available on P3 pin #6.
          ROM pin #20 goes to the drain of the additional transistor, and a 100k pull-up.

          ROM piggy-back:
          ----------------
          1x AT27C256R-45PU OTP ROM (programmed with elf2k v88)
          1x MOSFET, N-channel 2n7000 Jameco 119423, same as original Q1
          1x 100k 1/8W resistor

          RS232 or USB interface:
          -----------------------
          2x 10k 1/8W resistors
          1x 4093 quad 2-input NAND gate (wired as a level inverter)
          1x either a CP2104 TTL/USB converter or a MAX3232 TTL/RS232 converter.
          (These are less than $5 on e-bay.)

          To launch the ROM monitor, load in: C0 8000, then CLEAR, then RUN. The card
          then performs the elf2k initialization tests, leaving a 0x16 on the LEDs,
          waiting for an ASCII CR on EF3 for auto-baud detection, before outputting
          the startup screen on Q. Mine works fine at 1200 and 2400 baud, running at
          5VDC, with the maximum membership card clock speed.

          Elf2k manual: http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Downloads/Elf2k.pdf
          Elf2k ROM contents: http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Downloads/v88.hex

          Mark

          --
          Mark G. Thomas (Mark@...)
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2013
            I added a trace profiling function to my visible 1802 emulator.  It's a bit crude but if someone needs it...

            I've spent a few hours looking at the generated code for the dhrystone benchmark and running the profiler on it.

            When I started, each pass thru the benchmark executed 7,150 1802 instructions.  At roughly 100k instructions per second that clocked 14 Dhrystones per second.

            I got a huge improvement by recoding one library routine in assembly and by tweaking the multiply routine to perform better if one of the operands is small(which happens a lot for subscript calculations).  Those two changes got me down to about 5300 instructions or 18.8 dhrystones/sec.

            I have a simple peephole optimizer which I've used to implement eight or nine special cases where the compilers code could make better use of the 1802.  These just have way less impressive payback - each one removing maybe 10 or 20 instructions. out of the 5,000 odd.  It's also disappointing that they have almost zero effect on my other self test benchmark so they may not be general at all.

            I'm shutting down for now with my best effort being 5,198 instructions/pass or 19.2 dhrystones/sec.  I'm still targeting a 50% improvement(3575 instructions) but I'm not sure the peephole stuff will get me there.

            (Outlook consistently wants to correct dhrystone to rhinestone, by the way, so when this version of the compiler is ready it will be released as the Rhinestone Edition.)