Surface mount 1861 replacement

  • ekeefe8051
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 25, 2013

      Hello,

      I just finished a project that shrinks down the Spare Time Gizmos 1861 replacement board. I built a small, 24 pin Dip sized PCB that uses all surface mount parts.

      So far I have tested it in the RCA VIP, VIP Color board, my VIP II, Netronics Elf II, Spare Time Gizmos Elf 2000 and an RCA Studio II.

      You can see pictures of it here:

      http://www.avionline.com/avi1861/avi1861.html

      I hope you find it interesting. Comments welcome.

      ED

    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 25, 2013
        HI Ed:

        Wonderful work, Ed!! That's a great concept, and it's especially nice
        that your board is a pin-for-pin replacement of the 1861, and the same
        physical size.

        Since you have invested a bunch of money in having over 100 boards
        produced, I'd suggest that you possibly offer the boards for sale.
        And, if you want to take the trouble to populate the boards and test
        them, you'd have a finished "product" that would be quite marketable.
        1861s are almost impossible to find (as you well know.. or you would
        not have got this far).. so I think there is a market for your boards.

        I'd certainly buy one (or two). And, if you can't find enough buyers
        here on this list, I'd wager that Ebay would move the rest of them.

        Bravo!! Well done!

        73 de Ray

        On Sep 25, 2013, at 11:52 AM, <ekeefe8051@...> <ekeefe8051@...
        > wrote:

        > Hello,
        >

        > I just finished a project that shrinks down the Spare Time Gizmos
        > 1861 replacement board. I built a small, 24 pin Dip sized PCB that
        > uses all surface mount parts.
        >

        > So far I have tested it in the RCA VIP, VIP Color board, my VIP II,
        > Netronics Elf II, Spare Time Gizmos Elf 2000 and an RCA Studio II.
        >

        > You can see pictures of it here:
        >

        > http://www.avionline.com/avi1861/avi1861.html
        >

        > I hope you find it interesting. Comments welcome.
        >

        > ED

      • ekeefe8051
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 25, 2013

          Hello,

          Thank you for the kind words.

          I never considered selling them, I do this stuff for fun.

          I am not sure how the licensing works. The .PLD files Spare Time Gizmos released say they were released under the terms of the GNU General Public License. It makes no mention of whether anyone would be allowed to sell them or not. I did not modify the code Spare Time Gizmos provided.

          I have no interest in affecting Spare Time Gizmos sale in the future of their boards. Bob works hard on his projects and I don't want to take anything away from him. As I said, I do this for fun.

          ED

          ---In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, <cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          HI Ed:

          Wonderful work, Ed!! That's a great concept, and it's especially nice
          that your board is a pin-for-pin replacement of the 1861, and the same
          physical size.

          Since you have invested a bunch of money in having over 100 boards
          produced, I'd suggest that you possibly offer the boards for sale.
          And, if you want to take the trouble to populate the boards and test
          them, you'd have a finished "product" that would be quite marketable.
          1861s are almost impossible to find (as you well know.. or you would
          not have got this far).. so I think there is a market for your boards.

          I'd certainly buy one (or two). And, if you can't find enough buyers
          here on this list, I'd wager that Ebay would move the rest of them.

          Bravo!! Well done!

          73 de Ray

          On Sep 25, 2013, at 11:52 AM, <ekeefe8051@...> <ekeefe8051@...
          > wrote:

          > Hello,
          >

          > I just finished a project that shrinks down the Spare Time Gizmos
          > 1861 replacement board. I built a small, 24 pin Dip sized PCB that
          > uses all surface mount parts.
          >

          > So far I have tested it in the RCA VIP, VIP Color board, my VIP II,
          > Netronics Elf II, Spare Time Gizmos Elf 2000 and an RCA Studio II.
          >

          > You can see pictures of it here:
          >

          > http://www.avionline.com/avi1861/avi1861.html
          >

          > I hope you find it interesting. Comments welcome.
          >

          > ED

        • Dana Myers
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 25, 2013
            On 9/25/2013 9:18 AM, ekeefe8051@... wrote:

            Hello,

            Thank you for the kind words.

            I never considered selling them, I do this stuff for fun.

            I am not sure how the licensing works. The .PLD files Spare Time Gizmos released say they were released under the terms of the GNU General Public License. It makes no mention of whether anyone would be allowed to sell them or not. I did not modify the code Spare Time Gizmos provided.

            I have no interest in affecting Spare Time Gizmos sale in the future of their boards. Bob works hard on his projects and I don't want to take anything away from him. As I said, I do this for fun.

            Considering the quantity of boards you made, perhaps Spare Time Gizmos would be
            interested in adding the SMD version to their catalog.

            Dana  K6JQ

          • Andrew Wasson
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 25, 2013
              I think Dana might have a good idea here. Your 1861 replacement board is truly a work of art Ed. Such nice work. Maybe get in touch with Bob Armstrong and see what he thinks one way or another.

              Andrew

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 25, 2013

                Hi Ed,

                Nice work! Very cool!  May I recommend you buy more parts to build more and sell them as a kit?

                I would definitely buy 3 from you.  I'm sure others here would like some kits too.

                I think most chips have price breaks at 25 pieces, so you can cash in on that.

                As a kit builder, I would bennefit from not having to pay extra shipping to 2 or 3 sources for parts and also bennefit from having the right parts and saving time.

                Cheers,

                Josh

                Regards,

                Josh

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 25, 2013

                  Hi Ed,

                  I replied earllier without reading all the other great replies first.

                  Definitely offering it to Spare Time Gizmos is a great idea.

                  Also, I think those Public Licenses allow you to sell it for the cost of the media and labor to put it on that media.  If the chip costs $5, then selling a programmed chip for $10 would likely be acceptable.

                  It's like buying floppy disks with shareware software on them.

                  Ultimately, you should share your work with Bob, I'm sure he'll be delighted to see it.  He'll probably place an order for some quantity too!

                  :)J

                  ---In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, <cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  Hello,

                  Thank you for the kind words.

                  I never considered selling them, I do this stuff for fun.

                  I am not sure how the licensing works. The .PLD files Spare Time Gizmos released say they were released under the terms of the GNU General Public License. It makes no mention of whether anyone would be allowed to sell them or not. I did not modify the code Spare Time Gizmos provided.

                  I have no interest in affecting Spare Time Gizmos sale in the future of their boards. Bob works hard on his projects and I don't want to take anything away from him. As I said, I do this for fun.

                  ED

                  ---In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, <cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  HI Ed:

                  Wonderful work, Ed!! That's a great concept, and it's especially nice
                  that your board is a pin-for-pin replacement of the 1861, and the same
                  physical size.

                  Since you have invested a bunch of money in having over 100 boards
                  produced, I'd suggest that you possibly offer the boards for sale.
                  And, if you want to take the trouble to populate the boards and test
                  them, you'd have a finished "product" that would be quite marketable.
                  1861s are almost impossible to find (as you well know.. or you would
                  not have got this far).. so I think there is a market for your boards.

                  I'd certainly buy one (or two). And, if you can't find enough buyers
                  here on this list, I'd wager that Ebay would move the rest of them.

                  Bravo!! Well done!

                  73 de Ray

                  On Sep 25, 2013, at 11:52 AM, <ekeefe8051@...> <ekeefe8051@...
                  > wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >

                  > I just finished a project that shrinks down the Spare Time Gizmos
                  > 1861 replacement board. I built a small, 24 pin Dip sized PCB that
                  > uses all surface mount parts.
                  >

                  > So far I have tested it in the RCA VIP, VIP Color board, my VIP II,
                  > Netronics Elf II, Spare Time Gizmos Elf 2000 and an RCA Studio II.
                  >

                  > You can see pictures of it here:
                  >

                  > http://www.avionline.com/avi1861/avi1861.html
                  >

                  > I hope you find it interesting. Comments welcome.
                  >

                  > ED

                • David W. Schultz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 25, 2013
                    I found this line on the web page puzzling: "When I priced out the
                    boards 1 was going to cost as much as 80."

                    I just purchased a board (from OSH Park) that is about DIP40 sized (to
                    make a breakout board for a 38 pin surface mount micro-controller) and I
                    received 3 copies for $8.10 total (including shipping). A bit high if I
                    wanted to do a large run but less than $3 a copy is very reasonable for
                    the quantities I need.

                    --
                    David W. Schultz
                    Returned for Regrooving
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 25, 2013

                      Hello,

                      Maybe I wasn't clear when explaining the costs involved with the PCBs.

                      I use a service named pad2pad. They have proprietary software that is free and easy to use. It does not create Gerber files, so I am locked to their manufacturing service.

                      I either use pad2pad or expresspcb depending on how fast I need my boards.

                      When I use expresspcb, I order my boards on Monday and have them Wednesday. They are expensive but quick.

                      I use pad2pad when I am not in a hurry and need full solder mask and silk. They are slower, but the boards are nicer.

                      When I designed the AVI1861 PCBs, the price for a single board was $152.46. When I changed the quantity to 80 the price was $176.05.

                      The actual price for 100 boards was $183.82. This is what I paid.

                      As I wrote on the web page, they shipped me 128 panelized boards. So the effective cost per board ended up being $1.44. I received the boards two weeks after ordering.

                      I have used eagle for small boards, but some of my boards surpass their size and hole count restrictions. Some of my boards would require their most expensive license. Plus, I am not a real fan of eagle.

                      I hope that helps clear up what I meant by "When I priced out the boards 1 was going to cost as much as 80."

                      Sorry I wasn't more clear.