Are there Still Tiny eproms?

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013
      I'm building another I/O board to go with olduino.  I need to decode the N lines and combine some with /MRD.  I'm ending up with a 74138 3 to 8 decoder, an inverter and a nand gate.  I could mostly do this with a 4 input 4 output eeprom if there were such a thing and it would save me some messy logic and pcb traces.  Worst case I could program a 14 pin AVR to read 4 pins, look in a table, and write 4 pins but a tiny prom would be better.

      Didn't people use small proms like this for glue?
    • ekeefe8051
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013

        Hello,

        I used to use 82S23 and 82S123 PROMs for this sort of thing. Here is a link to the circuit I use for programming 82S23 and 82S123 PROMs:

        http://www.avionline.com/prom_programmer.pdf

        You could also use a GAL, something like a 16V8 or a 22V10. I can program them if you need.

        ED

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013

          Hello,

          Here is a link where you can buy 82s123s:

          http://www.bgmicro.com/82s123256bitttlbipolarprom.aspx

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013
            Great - I didn't know what to google for!

            Thanks

            To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013

              Hello,

              Your welcome.

              ED

              p.s.: I just sent you an e-mail.

              To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013
                bill rowe wrote:
                > Didn't people use small proms like this for glue?

                Yes, they did.

                The closest modern replacements are the various programmable logic
                arrays (PALs, GALs, PEELs, etc.) However, they tend to be WAY bigger
                than what you need here.

                The old TTL fusible-link PROMs can still be found at various surplus
                dealers. They can be kind of expensive, though.

                I was looking in my junque box for PROMs for another project, and found
                that I have a tube of MMI 6309, and a tube of TI 74S471 PROMs. Both are
                256x8 PROMs. Let me know if you need some. You would have to find or
                build a programmer for them. Luckily, this isn't too hard. I used to
                program them on a breadboard socket with switches, a 555 timer, and a
                pushbutton to produce the programming pulse.
                --
                ICEs have the same problem as lightbulbs. Why innovate and make
                better ones when the current ones burn out often enough to keep
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013

                  Hello,

                  @Lee Hart:

                  If you would be willing to sell some of the TI 74S471 PROMs, I would be interested. I have a programmer that can burn them. Please let me know and we can discuss terms off list.

                  bill rowe wrote:
                  > Didn't people use small proms like this for glue?

                  Yes, they did.

                  The closest modern replacements are the various programmable logic
                  arrays (PALs, GALs, PEELs, etc.) However, they tend to be WAY bigger
                  than what you need here.

                  The old TTL fusible-link PROMs can still be found at various surplus
                  dealers. They can be kind of expensive, though.

                  I was looking in my junque box for PROMs for another project, and found
                  that I have a tube of MMI 6309, and a tube of TI 74S471 PROMs. Both are
                  256x8 PROMs. Let me know if you need some. You would have to find or
                  build a programmer for them. Luckily, this isn't too hard. I used to
                  program them on a breadboard socket with switches, a 555 timer, and a
                  pushbutton to produce the programming pulse.
                  --
                  ICEs have the same problem as lightbulbs. Why innovate and make
                  better ones when the current ones burn out often enough to keep
                  you in business? -- Hunter Cressall
                • Steve Gemeny
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013
                    The 2708 prom programmer by Floyd might be easily adaptable... It is 1802
                    driven and it seems like all the timing is done in software.
                    It is well described in the file FLO_1980_04_17_2708.pdf - where else but
                    in the QuestData Lost Archive folder.
                    If nothing else it's a place to start...
                    Failing that anyone with a DataIO prom programmer could easily handle it...
                    (guess I should check to see if mine still works...)

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013

                       HI Bill,

                      I have some 74S387's, 82S126 and 82S130.  These are 256 x 4 bit and 512 x 4 bit.

                      I think my programmer(s) can even burn them.

                      Let me know what you want written to them and I can pop a couple off in the mail to you.

                      Regards,

                      Josh

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013
                        ekeefe8051@... wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >

                        > @Lee Hart:
                        >

                        > If you would be willing to sell some of the TI 74S471 PROMs, I would be
                        > interested. I have a programmer that can burn them. Please let me know
                        > and we can discuss terms off list.

                        If you just need a few, I'd be glad to send them for the cost of
                        postage. If you want more, I'll have to look around and see what they're
                        worth (and then sell them for half that).

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 24, 2013

                          Hello,

                          Thank you! I will send you an e-mail with my details.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 25, 2013
                            josh: thanks very much for the offer.  I'm just looking at the data sheets and the board layout.

                            who did you end up getting your boards made by?

                            To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 25, 2013
                              Not a problem, just send me a bin or hex file when you figure it out.  I've actually never burned these before, I'll guess a bin file would just use the lower 4 bits and disregards the upper 4 bits.

                              About boards, the last batch I had made was done by a local company I've dealt with a lot in the past.

                              Bob at Quick Circuits, 700 Progress Ave, Unit 13, M1H 2Z7, in Toronto. 416-431-7847
                              info@...
                              www.quickcircuits.com

                              He made for me 25 boards, double sided, no silk screen, no mask, 2.5" X 9" for $220.  Of course, when I got the order, there were 32 boards, he always gives away the extra's.  Other places quoted me $300 to $500 for the same job.  Oh, and he ran the job in 3 days (but that might have been a favor he did for me).

                              :)J

                              To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 27, 2013

                                Hello,