Chess program

  • system3025
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013

      OK, maybe I'm a geek but I'm having a lot of fun playing chess against my Elf simulator. Floyd Oats chess program works great! It took awhile to get it loaded and working. I really hate that font. My scanner's OCR confused a lot of the 0s and Ds and a lot of the 8s and Bs but I think I've found all of the errors. Everything seems to be working now. It's very slow on my simulator. It takes about 10 to 20 minutes to make a move but it's making reasonable moves and It has error checking. It caught all of the mistakes I've made learning how to enter moves.

      Does anyone know if this game was ever published? I think it's a commercial quality program for the time it was created. This is the first I've heard of it other than when Floyd mentioned he was working on a chess program in a Questdata article.

      I've uploaded a picture of a heated battle I'm playing against my Elf simulator. I'm still playing. I'll let you know who wins.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013

          Sure. I uploaded two files in the "QuestDATA - The Lost Archives" directory. A Intel hex format file and a txt file. Let me know if the files work for you. Also if you could let me know what you're running the program on and approximately how fast it's making moves. I'd like to compare it to my sim.

          Mike

          Can you upload the code?

[...]

        • Steve Gemeny
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013

            Mike,

            Great job on the OCR and hand fixing… that was a job!

            I’ve taken your .txt file and run it through a disassembler… its ugly because of all the data areas packed into his rather sparsely packed memory map, but it recovers the assembly language.

            At this point I’ve just begun adding comments defining each routine based on Floyd’s listings.  Eventually, copying and pasting in each of Floyd’s comments would be really nice.  Having a copy of your OCRd text might help there.

            I also tried to read your IntelHEX file into hex2Bin on my way to porting it to a WAV file with ELFTools, Hex2Bin was not happy.  It only converted the first quarter K and then failed.  I am suspecting there is some issue with checksums, or perhaps it’s the high byte count per line.  I usually see these in 16 byte long lines and yours is 32 long.

            Thoughts etc.?

            Steve

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013
              Hi Steve,

              I’m working on the same thing right now. I already have most of Floyd’s comments added to the assembly listings. Sorry, I didn't know you was working on it. I've been interested in computer chess since I played my first game against Microchess 1.5 running on a TRS-80. I’m really interested in seeing how Floyd’s program works. I’m going to go through it and add some of my own comments. I’ll upload it when I’m finished.

              There is a problem with that hex file. I wrote the routine to generate and read hex files. It’s part of my elf sim. I only tested the routine with programs that were less than 256 bytes. Chess is 3K and when I first entered it and saved it I tried to load it back and there was a problem with the checksums. I disable the checksums check part of the routine so I could load the file. I didn’t think about that when I uploaded the file. I’ll try to fix the routine and upload chess.hex again.

[...]

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013

                I wish i had seen your files before i type in all of the program, but it helped me fined bugs when comparing the two,

                In Chess.txt address BA6 needs to be 6D

                address line #0A10 is writen 0A00

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013

                  If this is the hex2bin I Wrote It will not handle the 32byte line

                  However I now have a ROM version, that I can upload. If needed?

                  I also OCR ed the text, with FreeOCR it works good with the words, but would not work with the data

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013

                      I did a little more research and found that this area is not used.

                      reference Page 18

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 24, 2013

                        Mike,

                        No problems, I haven’t spent much time on it.   It was largely an exercise for me to keep current on porting stuff from data through the disassembler and then to remember the formatting changes to get it to reassemble.

                        About all the “real work” I did was adding in Floyds section breaks as he discusses each listing segment.  Man it looks like spaghetti code.  The way each listing ends up in a whole different address space clearly evolving the code space usage as the need for a new routine arose. Makes the whole idea of reloadable code and labels with jumps to a label real obvious.

                        Floyds Table 2 was helpful as it shows which pages were used for what functions but it’s also clear there are holes in the code space as well.

                        I think I’d have to agree with Richard, the byte at 0BA6 in Floyds dump sure looks to me an obvious 6D.  I’ll also agree with you that it APPEARS to be a region of code not referenced in any of his listings…  That being said, it seems odd that he’d have left that region of his code space to random data even if unused, while taking the time to fill other unused areas with 00 in his other pages  of tables etc.  My bet is that that byte matters in some weird but undocumented way and will likely never really be discovered except by accident and then only after creative breakpoint traps under simulation. It could be part of a moves table or some other storage .  I doubt it is actually executable code that would ever lend itself to evaluating, however.

                        Eventually I’d hope to have a proper assembly file that will assemble (I like to use the PsudoSam assembler… it’s just my go to…) and then run the IntelHEX through a DOS Bin2Hex to get a raw bin file that ELFtools turns into a wav file.  At that point it’s easy enough to play into my SuperELF which is where I’d play a game.  But there are many paths to that end result…  I’ll wait a bit and let you run on it for now.  I don’t need to distract myself with assembly stuff – I need to keep scanning.

                        Good job to all you coders…

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 24, 2013

                          Mike,

                          I just found the reference to unused code space on page 18.

                          I stand corrected.

                          Steve

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 24, 2013

                              Great, Mike,

                              Following the same process I discussed in a posting dated April 6, 2010,

                              I processed the chess.bin file to generate a sound file compatible with the QUEST SuperELF.

                              Using ElfTools, a WAV file for the Super ELF format was generated.  Since ElfTools cannot process WAV files it has generated directly, some post processing was necessary to allow ElfTools to reprocess the file. The following process was intended to emulate the effects of recording and playing back from cassette tape, thus placing the ElfTools generated "Perfect" digital sound file back into the analog recorded sound file domain.

                              I used GoldWave to load the ElfTools generated wave file. Then I reduced the volume by 1dB to prevent clipping.  Next I configured GoldWave to low pass filter with a roll off after 1800 Hz having a slope of 2. This resulted in nearly sinusoidal shape to the signal with very little ringing, though the amplitude of the two tones was now different by nearly 50%.

                              After saving the filtered file, I loading it back into ElfTools set to decode Super Elf Format with inversion and was successful using low filtering with the timing set as:

                              One    Min 7  Max 17

                              Zero  Min 20  Max 40

                              The resulting BIN file was saved and viewed using HexEdit. This ElfTools regenerated BIN of the ElfTools generated WAV file was then compared against the original BIN. Happily, the BIN Files matched.

                              The same process could easily be repeated using ELFTools (available in the files section) configured for ELFII or VIP format.

                              I am posting the smaller .mp3 file (Quest SuperELF format) to conserve storage space on the assumption that anyone who tinkers with an ELF can figure a way to get an MP3 to come out an audio connection and into a cassette port... Oh, and because that's what I'll be tinkering with soon enough.

                              File name: chess_QSE_Filt.mp3