Re: [cosmacelf] QuestDATA - The Lost Archive

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
      Josh Bensadon wrote:
      > Very cool Steve! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

      Same here. It's not often we get to see *new* 1802 stuff. At least, it's
      new to me! :-)

      --
      In life’s great adventures, keep in mind thy cause.
      Be neither moved by critics, nor multitude’s applause.
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013

         This is a great find. I wonder if my two submissions will be in there. I did find that one of mine was actually published, though after I was no longer a subscriber. Wasn't much - but at the time I sent it in I was about 13, and even today it was a thrill to see that I was actually published.

                   --Randy

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, <leeahart@...> wrote:

        Josh Bensadon wrote:
        > Very cool Steve! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

        Same here. It's not often we get to see *new* 1802 stuff. At least, it's
        new to me! :-)

        --
        In life’s great adventures, keep in mind thy cause.
        Be neither moved by critics, nor multitude’s applause.
        -- Nasreddin
      • Steve Gemeny
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013
          Randy,

          The submitted material is in folders by name of submitter - with some large gaps in the alphabet.

          Send me your full name and il have a look.

          Steve

          Sent by my large thumbs via tiny soft iKeys...

          Josh Bensadon wrote:
          > Very cool Steve! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

          Same here. It's not often we get to see *new* 1802 stuff. At least, it's
          new to me! :-)

          --
          In life’s great adventures, keep in mind thy cause.
          Be neither moved by critics, nor multitude’s applause.
          -- Nasreddin
        • aa3nm
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013

            It occurs to me that perhaps I should have been a bit more verbose when I sent that first email…

            Many may be wondering just what I’m talking about with this QuestDATA – The Lost Archive.

            These are the unpublished or original manuscripts submitted to Quest Electronics by subscribers to the Quest Electronics monthly newsletter - QuestDATA.  These files were recovered from the dumpster outside the offices of Quest Electronics shortly after the business was closed.  Piles of file folders were placed in a box and moved from garage to garage for a couple of decades.  The box of files has been held in safe keeping for something like 30 years until recently by Peter Putnam (NI6E).  Last week I received the box in the mail from Peter.  In the box was about 35 lbs. of file folders, arranged by name of person, loaded with some of the finest examples of software documentation I have ever seen, each having been submitted to Bill Haslasher, Editor of QuestData for publishing. (I have shared this information with Bill in a private email and he shares our excitement.) I have a new found respect for the position Bill was in - that of culling through this mass of great stuff to fit only pieces of it into a small monthly publication.

            Peter passed these files to me to be scanned and posted to the group.  Thus, these unpublished or original manuscripts of QuestData submissions form what I am calling a Lost Archive of brand new projects for, not only Quest users, but all users of the 1802.

            In order to avoid any discussion of the validity releasing potentially Copyrighted material, the material is being released under the Creative Commons License with attribution to Roger Pitkin as granted to all holders of Quest Electronics Copyrighted material by Roger Pitkin – Founder and Owner of Quest Electronics, Nov., 2010 and widely publicized in the group.

            OCR-ing or porting the code into files that will assemble are future tasks that I may approach, but efforts by others along those lines might be great as well.

            One file in particular, labeled Floyd Oats was a significant stand out…

            I have elected to start the process with the files Floyd L. Oats submitted as I consider them to be of a most exemplary quality.  This will take quite a while but I will be diligent and attempt to scan a few documents each day without getting crosswise with the boss.

            Enjoy...

            Steve

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013
                Steve, Wow….

                At first I though this was just a trove of Quest Data and related materials that had been unearthed which is exciting on its own merits but now it sounds like it's much more exciting news for us 1802 nerds. This is great! I'm particularly interested in the Chess program I read in your other message. That was a great interest to me some 32 years ago although I'm miserable at playing chess, the thought of loosing a game to my computer held a great appeal to me for some reason.

                I look forward to looking through the archives.

                Andrew