Re: [cosmacelf] Membership Card-2k

  • Josh Bensadon
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 15, 2013
      Nice work Mark.  I should try one of those ROM's on my VELF, it already has the socket for the upper ROM.

      I was looking for this firmware on Spare Time Gizmos, but the link there is for V60 and it's broken.
      I noticed you have v88.  Do you know if the source code or hex code is released somewhere for public use?

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 15, 2013
        Mark G Thomas wrote:
        >> I'm extremely excited about my latest Membership Card modification!
        >> I installed an Elf2k ROM (from Spare Time Gizmos) on the Membership
        >> Card...

        Great work, Mark! How many of the programs in it have you tried? Are
        there any that don't work without the extra hardware on the Elf2K?

        >> I soldering it piggy back on the RAM, and adding a transistor
        >> and resistor. It works wonderfully, with no further modifications to
        >> the card needed. The chip adds some thickness, but not much, and my
        >> planned enclosure is deeper than an Altoids tin anyway.

        I wonder if you trimmed the RAM pins shorter (so it sits right down on
        the board), and used a one-time-programmable EPROM (which are thinner)
        if it would keep the overall height low enough?

        Of course, you can also stack two Membership Cards. One provides the
        CPU, RAM, and one I/O port. The second provides the ROM, and a second
        I/O port.

        >> For testing I used an el-cheapo USB to TTL serial adapter and a
        >> 4093 wired as an inverter to the Q and EF3 lines for a serial port.
        >> I believe the DE9+MAX232 interface I plan on using in my final
        >> enclosure probably won't require the 4093.

        The MAX232 inverts, so the extra 4093 shouldn't be necessary.

        Or, you can change the ROM contents to invert Q and EF3. The Membership
        Card can already accept RS-232 or TTL data on EF4, and many RS-232
        receivers will accept the TTL level from the 1802's Q line directly.

        >> I'm tempted to install a faster xtal clock oscillator instead of the
        >> ceramic resonator oscillator. With the stock oscillator, the ROM
        >> serial port auto-baud detection works fine at 1200 bits per second.

        I supply a 1.8 MHz resonator with the rev.F kits is 1.8 MHz, to match
        the frequency normally used in ELFs with the 1861 chip. But you can
        replace it with a faster one. 2 MHz will certainly work; maybe higher.
        These resonators are available from Mouser, Digikey, etc.

        Bill Rowe wrote:
        > I think I remember Lee saying you could speed up the current clock
        > by using a different chip for the inverter in the RC circuit.

        Yes, you can. The stock part is a 4093 schmitt-trigger 2-input NAND
        gate, with about a 300 nsec propagation delay. The 4011 has the same
        pinouts, and is about 3 times faster. However, the 4011 won't oscillate
        as an RC oscillator; you either must use the resonator, or rewire the
        circuit as a 2-gate oscillator with the 1802's internal inverter.

        > I think we're limited to 2 MHz anyway though and my MC runs at 1.6 now.

        The 1802 is spec'd at 2.5 MHz at 5v, though many run faster.

        The newest Membership Card (rev.F) has both the RC oscillator *and* a
        1.8 MHz ceramic resonator. The earlier ones had only the RC oscillator.

        --
        Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.
        -- Henry Ford
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 15, 2013
          Hi,

          On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 06:51:16AM -0700, Josh Bensadon wrote:
          > Nice work Mark. I should try one of those ROM's on my VELF, it already
          > has the socket for the upper ROM.
          > I was looking for this firmware on Spare Time Gizmos, but the link
          > there is for V60 and it's broken.
          > I noticed you have v88. Do you know if the source code or hex code is
          > released somewhere for public use?

          Here are the URLs Bob Armstrong posted to this group last year, which
          are still good:

          http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Downloads/v88.hex
          http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Downloads/v88-source.zip (corrected extension)

          There is a README file included, discussing the licensing of the various
          components of the source code and tools used to build it.

          Mark

          --
          Mark G. Thomas (Mark@...)
        • bruce_baldwin@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 15, 2013
            Thanks for the URL's Mark. I was looking for that myself. I'm also looking for the file for programming the GAL. Do you know if that file is available anywhere?

            Bruce

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 15, 2013

              The V88-source.zip seems to be missing the BIOS.INC file.  Am I missing something?

              Have you tried building the .hex file from the source?

              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, <bruce_baldwin@...> wrote:

              Thanks for the URL's Mark. I was looking for that myself. I'm also looking for the file for programming the GAL. Do you know if that file is available anywhere?

              Bruce

              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Mark G Thomas <mark@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 06:51:16AM -0700, Josh Bensadon wrote:
              > > Nice work Mark. I should try one of those ROM's on my VELF, it already
              > > has the socket for the upper ROM.
              > > I was looking for this firmware on Spare Time Gizmos, but the link
              > > there is for V60 and it's broken.
              > > I noticed you have v88. Do you know if the source code or hex code is
              > > released somewhere for public use?
              >
              > Here are the URLs Bob Armstrong posted to this group last year, which
              > are still good:
              >
              > http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Downloads/v88.hex
              > http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Downloads/v88-source.zip (corrected extension)
              >
              > There is a README file included, discussing the licensing of the various
              > components of the source code and tools used to build it.
              >
              > Mark
              >
              > --
              > Mark G. Thomas (Mark@...)

            • thinkpast
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 16, 2013
                I agree with Lee Hart, this is good work, Mark. I'll contact you offline to get your permission and some notes from you, to add a "Tech Note" to the 1802 Membership Card Web site, of your work.

                Beyond the Elf2K ROM monitor and code, there's Lee Hart's "IDIOT" monitor code, available on the cosmacelf.com Web site and at the M/S card site at:

                http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/mship_idiot.html

                Herb Johnson
              • Mark G Thomas
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 29, 2013
                  Hi,

                  I just posted more pictures (once approved by the moderator), detailing
                  completion of the project by installing it in a small project case case,
                  with a home-made Lexan front panel, rechargeable batteries, a MAX232
                  de-9 rs-232 interface, and charger/regulator electronics on some perfboard
                  the size of a postage stamp. This ended up being a tighter fit than
                  I expected, but with care it all fit!

                  The MAX232 card still required a logic inverter (to remain compatible with
                  the unmodified elf2k ROM), so I glued a 4093 upside down on top of the
                  surface mount MAX232. The interface cards were qty 5 for $12 + $2 shipping
                  on e-bay from China. I also used a CP2104 USB to TTL serial adapter for
                  some preliminary testing. These are less than $3 each on e-bay, have both
                  Mac and PC drivers, and might be more desirable for others than rs-232.

                  I used a LP2950CZ-5.0 low-dropout 100ma 5vdc regulator and the necessary
                  caps, diodes, and resistor, to power the membership card at 5VDC, and
                  provide a current limited (~7.5V) trickle charge to the 6 AA cells. This
                  is not the ideal way to charge NiMh or even NiCd batteries, but I'm sure
                  the cells will last for years anyway. I guess I should post schematics for
                  the ROM wiring, the serial interface module, and the regulator/charger
                  module. This charges the batteries and/or powers the membership card
                  from a 9VDC-12VDC wall wart.

                  The plastic case (270-1805), six NiMh AA batteries, and the DPDT mini
                  toggle switch came from Radio Shack. The Lexan for the front came from
                  Home Depot. I also ended up mounting a small SPST switch above the DC
                  power jack, after having odd results getting the membership card to
                  consistently sleep at <1ma.

                  I wanted it to be battery powered and self contained, but with the serial port
                  provides an easy way to load and even develop software, thanks to the awesome
                  collection of utilities on the 32K elf2k ROM chip that sits piggy-back on
                  the membership card's 32K SRAM.

                  Mark

                  --
                  Mark G. Thomas (Mark@...)
                • David Keith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29, 2013
                    Thank You Mark, job well done !!! I just ordered the CP2104 USB to TTL serial adapter.  I am glad to see the drivers at their site listed on ebay.

                    --
                    Mark G. Thomas (Mark@...)

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        cosmacelf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        cosmacelf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013
                      Super cool mark, thx for posting.

                      --
                      Mark G. Thomas (Mark@...)

                    • Mark G Thomas
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013
                        Hi,

                        On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 08:27:08PM -0700, David Keith wrote:
                        > Thank You Mark, job well done !!! I just ordered the CP2104 USB to TTL
                        > serial adapter. I am glad to see the drivers at their site listed on
                        > ebay.

                        I just posted crude but hopefully legible schematic drawings of the additions.

                        Here are some additional notes:

                        I carefully bent back pins 1, 20, & 27 on the ROM then soldered all
                        the remaining pins in parallel with the corresponding RAM pins.

                        ROM pin #1 needs VDD, which I jumpered to nearby pin #28.
                        ROM pin #27 needs to go to A14, available on P3 pin #6.
                        ROM pin #20 goes to the drain of the additional transistor, and a 100k pull-up.

                        ROM piggy-back:
                        ----------------
                        1x AT27C256R-45PU OTP ROM (programmed with elf2k v88)
                        1x MOSFET, N-channel 2n7000 Jameco 119423, same as original Q1
                        1x 100k 1/8W resistor

                        RS232 or USB interface:
                        -----------------------
                        2x 10k 1/8W resistors
                        1x 4093 quad 2-input NAND gate (wired as a level inverter)
                        1x either a CP2104 TTL/USB converter or a MAX3232 TTL/RS232 converter.
                        (These are less than $5 on e-bay.)

                        To launch the ROM monitor, load in: C0 8000, then CLEAR, then RUN. The card
                        then performs the elf2k initialization tests, leaving a 0x16 on the LEDs,
                        waiting for an ASCII CR on EF3 for auto-baud detection, before outputting
                        the startup screen on Q. Mine works fine at 1200 and 2400 baud, running at
                        5VDC, with the maximum membership card clock speed.

                        Elf2k manual: http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Downloads/Elf2k.pdf
                        Elf2k ROM contents: http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Downloads/v88.hex

                        Mark

                        --
                        Mark G. Thomas (Mark@...)
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 2, 2013
                          I added a trace profiling function to my visible 1802 emulator.  It's a bit crude but if someone needs it...

                          I've spent a few hours looking at the generated code for the dhrystone benchmark and running the profiler on it.

                          When I started, each pass thru the benchmark executed 7,150 1802 instructions.  At roughly 100k instructions per second that clocked 14 Dhrystones per second.

                          I got a huge improvement by recoding one library routine in assembly and by tweaking the multiply routine to perform better if one of the operands is small(which happens a lot for subscript calculations).  Those two changes got me down to about 5300 instructions or 18.8 dhrystones/sec.

                          I have a simple peephole optimizer which I've used to implement eight or nine special cases where the compilers code could make better use of the 1802.  These just have way less impressive payback - each one removing maybe 10 or 20 instructions. out of the 5,000 odd.  It's also disappointing that they have almost zero effect on my other self test benchmark so they may not be general at all.

                          I'm shutting down for now with my best effort being 5,198 instructions/pass or 19.2 dhrystones/sec.  I'm still targeting a 50% improvement(3575 instructions) but I'm not sure the peephole stuff will get me there.

                          (Outlook consistently wants to correct dhrystone to rhinestone, by the way, so when this version of the compiler is ready it will be released as the Rhinestone Edition.)