membership card + elf2k ROM ?

  • Mark G Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2013
      Hi,

      So, I'm putting together a membership card in a slightly larger case than
      an altoids tin, and I got to thinking it sure would be nice if it had a
      ROM monitor, and I could put a serial port on my enclosure.

      Could I piggy back an elf2k ROM with the RAM chip, do something with pin
      20 to select the ROM for 0x8000? Are there any other issues that might
      prevent me from using a membership card with an elf2k ROM? Has anyone
      else done similarly?

      Mark

      --
      Mark G. Thomas (Mark@...)
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2013
        Mark G Thomas wrote:
        > So, I'm putting together a membership card in a slightly larger case than
        > an altoids tin, and I got to thinking it sure would be nice if it had a
        > ROM monitor, and I could put a serial port on my enclosure.

        There are several ways you can do this.

        1. You can load a program into RAM, and maintain power to keep it there.
        2. Same thing, but use a nonvolatile RAM, like one with the piggyback
        lithium cell, or a ferroelectric RAM. This way you don't need to
        maintain power.
        3. You can build a ROM board, as designed by Richard or Herb Johnson.
        These are basically a binary counter to provide sequential addresses
        to a PROM or EPROM. Plug it in to the 25-pin front socket, and its
        contents is automatically loaded into RAM.
        4. Get a 2nd Membership Card (rev.D or later). There are provisions to
        stack the two, with a ROM on one board and a RAM on the other board.
        Now you have both ROM and RAM, as well as a second I/O port.
        5. I'm sure there are other ways as well. I can imagine piggy-backing
        two memory chips (one EPROM, one RAM), with one of the address lines
        used to chip-select between the two.

        --
        The most dangerous enemy of a better solution is an existing one that
        is just good enough. -- Eric S. Raymond