Hello to the group!

  • zietmachinen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
      Bought my first computer in 1978; a Quest Super Elf w/ expansion board.
      Just came across it in my shack and started to check it out to see if it still operates. Still have all the documentation provided, the listing for the Tiny Basic eprom and some additional documentation generally pertaining to the CDP1802 system. Came here just to see what has happened in the intervening 35 years, Hi. Just FYI, the Super Elf Kit cost $106.95 and S&H was $3.05: the hand written receipt was still in the shipping box. Don't know what the expansion board with memory and tape interface cost.
      Best Regards,
      Huck
    • Steve Gemeny
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2013
        Huck,

        Congratulations and welcome to the group. Nice to add another Super ELF owner to the group. There are a few of us... Mine's in a box but worked fine about a year ago when I packed it away for safe keeping. Configured with 4k ram, super monitor, basic, power supply, small case, RS232 & parallelI I/O.

        You should find a lot of resources in the files section and some interesting projects, some pictured in the photos area.

        We are an eclectic bunch but a good group, all.

        Of note: all Quest documents and software were released by the owner a couple of years ago for hobby use and redistribution (non commercial use)... So copying, and sharing (with the addition of the release marking) is OK by the copyright owner. Look for a Quest document folder in the files area.

        Be well & 73,

        Steve
        (Aa3nm)

        Sent by my large thumbs via tiny soft iKeys...

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2013
          Hi Huck,

          Welcome to the group. For the most part, here we like to share our experiences from the "good old days" as well as try out new and old programs. When I got back into it, I wanted to try my hand at writing programs in a better environment than the toggle switch ELF.

          There's been a few new 1802 projects...
          ELF2K by Bob Armstrong
          Membership Card by Lee Hart
          Olduino by Bill Rowe
          Velf by Myself

          (Did I forget any?)

          Thanks for sharing the price of your ELF, I'm sure the group would love to hear more memories you might have about buying, building and using your Super ELF.

          Regards,
          Josh

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "zietmachinen" <zietmachinen@...> wrote:

          > Bought my first computer in 1978; a Quest Super Elf w/ expansion board.
          > Just came across it in my shack and started to check it out to see if it still operates. Still have all the documentation provided, the listing for the Tiny Basic eprom and some additional documentation generally pertaining to the CDP1802 system. Came here just to see what has happened in the intervening 35 years, Hi. Just FYI, the Super Elf Kit cost $106.95 and S&H was $3.05: the hand written receipt was still in the shipping box. Don't know what the expansion board with memory and tape interface cost.
          > Best Regards,
          > Huck

        • DougCrawford
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2013
            Welcome back to 1802 land.
            That was my first computer too, wish I still had it.
            Hope yours still works! I'll bet it does.
            Lots has happened in the last 3 decades... much
            mentioned in this site and around the web.
            Lots is going on now too... Enjoy.