Re: [cosmacelf] Membership card latch signal

    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 16, 2013
      Josh: it's on my watch list - thanks.

      On 2013-07-16, at 8:38 PM, "Josh Bensadon" <joshbensadon@...> wrote:

      Hi bill,

      I bought a cheap Mini Logic Analyzer from Saleae (actually it's a cheap clone).  Delivered for about $25.  It's been absolutely worth every cent!
      It only samples up to 24Mega samples per second, but that's enough for a 40nSec resolution.  You get to see everything going on.

      There's one for sale right now on ebay, 141017549206.  They come often so don't bid high.

      I bought mine from Alibaba.com.  But from what I read on another forum, it's a crap shoot to buy through them.
      Then again, for $20 bucks, you're not risking a lot.  Mine came in the usual 4 week from China time frame.

      There's actually many clones of the same device.  I will guess they all work.  I use the word Saleae in my search.

      :)J

      From: leeahart@...
      Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 18:44:31 -0500

      bill rowe wrote:
      > *Lee: Could you explain the timing of the latch signal OUT4 on the
      > membership card? If I want to load the output of the latch into another
      > IC, will it be stable by the trailing edge of the N2 signal?*

      Yes. During an OUT4/5/6/7 instruction when TPB goes high, flip-flop U5A
      sets. Its high output on Q pin 1, triggers the 74HC374 output latch to
      latch the data.

      C6 is a slowdown capacitor. It delays the rising edge that latches U7
      just a little bit. It's there because the RAM is also chip selected by
      the rising edge of TPB. The capacitor allows for the RAM's access time.

      And why is the RAM not chip selected until TPB? Old slow RAMs needed to
      be chip selected as early as possible; usually at the end of TPA when
      the address first becomes stable. New RAMs are very fast; but they
      aren't true CMOS -- they draw power whenever their chip select pin is
      low. So to minimize power, the RAM is chip selected as late as possible,
      to minimize the time it is active and drawing power.
      --
      Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed
      has! -- Margaret Mead

    • Chris
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 20, 2013
        I have one of these that has worked out well.

        http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Logic_Sniffer_quick_start_guide

        http://www.epictinker.com/Open-Workbench-Logic-Sniffer-p/obc101e1p.htm

        C.W.